Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help determining if my MOBO is defective

Help determining if my MOBO is defective

Hi everyone,

I have been buying parts for my computer and finally got the last piece last night. I tried putting it all together but have a problem. I hit the 'on' button and the power supply starts to spin, but only for a second, and then it all shuts off. In short, it never really gets going. Does this mean my motherboard is defective?

I admit that this is the first computer I have put together myself, so it's also possible I hooked up something wrong. What might cause this problem?

The motherboard is a biostar TA970GX128M. The processor is an AMD 940 quad core 3.0ghz. 4gigs corsair ram 1066mhz. integrated sound/video. sata hard drive.

Any help much appreciated!

go back through everything slowly.. And do not hook up anything not essential to the pc running such as CD/dvd drives, extra hard drives etc... just the basics.. make sure your cpu is in the socket correctly and not spun 180 or something.

ииии

ииии

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    go back through everything slowly.. And do not hook up anything not essential to the pc running such as CD/dvd drives, extra hard drives etc... just the basics.. make sure your cpu is in the socket correctly and not spun 180 or something.
    Will do. Already unplugged everything else. Have a 650watt antec true power supply. Should be more than enough. i'll double check the processor though. Are there any weird settings on motherboards I'd need to set? Like pins that are set to 'off' by default that need to be 'on' or something?

Make sure all required power connectors are plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Make sure all required power connectors are plugged in.
    As best I can tell there are 3 main power cords. This is the one I purchased.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138130

I have the 24 main pin, the 4pin for the graphics card, and the 4pin for the cpu. Am i missing any?

No special settings on the board I am sure. Like Yard said your board almost certainly has the standard atx connection but also the extra 4 pin power connector as well. Make sure both are plugged in. You could double check your wiring on the power switch and reset as well. Those pins are easy to miss and hook up wrong.

Please make sure you post back what u have tried and the results. If you do happen to get it working please let us know what it was u did.

Thanks Bud,

Will help as much as we can!

ииии

ииии

No special settings on the board I am sure. Like Yard said your board almost certainly has the standard atx connection but also the extra 4 pin power connector as well. Make sure both are plugged in. You could double check your wiring on the power switch and reset as well. Those pins are easy to miss and hook up wrong.

Please make sure you post back what u have tried and the results. If you do happen to get it working please let us know what it was u did.

Thanks Bud,

Will help as much as we can!
    GOOD NEWS! It now has power! Turns out I had the screws too tight and the computer was grounding the motherboard. In fact, I had pretty much screwed it all in wrong. Ironically, my wife helped me put them in the right way. Now that the case is not touching the motherboard, it has power and stays on.

But......I have another problem, still hardware related. I can get into the bios, and the cd drive works, but I am not having any luck with loading from the hard drive. It is detected in the bios, but as soon as I try to load from it (or reformat with it), the entire computer shuts down instantly. I am uncertain as to why this is. Please help!

Well it should be harder to diagnose problems now that you got it to turn on.

Check the drive settings in the bios. See if you dont have some wierd drive setting enabled. Try another drive if you can to see if it is for sure the drive.

ииии

ииии

Well it should be harder to diagnose problems now that you got it to turn on.

Check the drive settings in the bios. See if you dont have some wierd drive setting enabled. Try another drive if you can to see if it is for sure the drive.
    Tried two hard drives, and booting from the CD, and running an internal memory test. All of them result in the computer completely dying midway into them, before I can do anything with them.

Hopefully you didnt fry something on the board if you had it shorted out on the door of the case.

ииии

ииии

Hopefully you didnt fry something on the board if you had it shorted out on the door of the case.
    I hope not too. How could I tell? I notice the big orange thing in the middle (link from above) of the board gets pretty hot after I've had it on. As does the other square orange thing. Is this normal?

Update:

Fiddled around in the case a bit more. made sure the mobo wasn't touching the case weird or anything. tightened the cables, reconnected things. Now I can't even get into the bios. It boots, starts detecting things, and within about 10 seconds it dies.

Another update. Cleared my 'cmos' settings, got the bios back. Still can't load from the hard drive or boot from the CD. Dies instantly. The CD gets only slightly farther. Goes to "loading windows executive" and then dies. I'm definitely confused as to what might cause it. If the processor was overheating, I would have to wait before I could turn it back on, right? If it was the ram, or mobo, i couldn't get into bios, right?

Try different RAM. If thats all you have try 1 stick at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Try different RAM. If thats all you have try 1 stick at a time.
    Progress! I took one stick out and now it is booting from the CD! I am currently in the progress of reformatting the hard drive. Hopefully it will work!

I checked my mobo manual again. I don't believe I had it in the wrong slot (being dual channel memory), or installed wrong (since the other is working). Does this mean a slot on my mobo is dead? Or does it mean the other stick is dead? I haven't tried putting the other stick in by itself. Maybe i'll do that later.

I would lean towards a bad stick before a bad slot, though either are possible.

i'm taking a leap here, but....

there have been 2 times when i came across inexplicable errors that involved mobo mounting screws.

what i mean is..... try taking the mobo and placing it on a piece of cardboard (between the mobo and whever you are using as a table. be it the case or whatever.... usually what im talking about entails laying your tower on its side with the mobo resting on said cardboard palette close to where it would be mounted.

hook the mobo to your devices and try booting. my anecdote is all about case/mobo mounting screws shorting out a path on your mainboard. in my previous incidents, i had to exclude a couple of the mobo mounting screws due to them being the cause of the probs. it all depends on the mobo layout and if you have the fabled paper washers between your mainboard and its mounts.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

i guess i should have continued.... what i was after is that, if you can isolate the mobo in said manner, you will have excluded outside infulence from being the cause (in a physical sense), and be able to say the issue is due to an endemic mobo component/compatability.

- Leo Szilard

Update:

The computer is currently up and running. I took the MOBO out and only used the bare minimum of screws I needed to keep it stable when putting it back in. I also switched what slot the ram was in and now have both sticks in. So far, everything is running good. My guess is that one of the screws was somehow interfering and that the ram was not in the right slot (ddr ram). right now it's different from the mobo manual, but i'm not complaining. Haven't run anything intense yet, so I don't know how stable it is, but for now it is running.

Quote Originally Posted by PlastiCup View Post
    Update:

The computer is currently up and running. I took the MOBO out and only used the bare minimum of screws I needed to keep it stable when putting it back in. I also switched what slot the ram was in and now have both sticks in. So far, everything is running good. My guess is that one of the screws was somehow interfering and that the ram was not in the right slot (ddr ram). right now it's different from the mobo manual, but i'm not complaining. Haven't run anything intense yet, so I don't know how stable it is, but for now it is running.

good to hear. at least you managed to extrapolate my point from the posts above. after a few drinks i tend to get blabby... which wouldnt seem so bad if i could only manage to stick to my point in 1000 words or less.

- Leo Szilard