Thread: Voodoo will always be the best

Post Voodoo will always be the best

After speeding tons of time playing my favorite games on my new system with my new GeForce2 mx, i love it, its faster!

EXCEPT on glide games, man 3dfx had that DOWN PERFECTLY! The voodoo cards were so smooth on restarts, first boot, whatever, and they ran glide games better than nvidia can run them with direct x or openGL.

If i had to pick the best video card right now, it would have to be the voodoo5 5500, a card i now want!

My voodoo4 4500 was a good card, it being PCI ran unreal better than my AGP geforce2 mx, the geforce is OCed as well! the voodoo was not.

I will truely miss 3dfx, the things they could have made, i only hope that nvidia will add the glide format to their cards at some point!

um you do realize that Glide is a 3dfx only thing right? that's why it don't work on Nvidia's cards, it will work with a wrapper but poorly as you've seen

Glide was 3dfx's baby, it's proprietary to 3dfx cards and no other card can run it directly. It's 3d acceleration only works on 3dfx cards natively, and it works good cause that's what it's written for.

Glide is dead though, and so is 3dfx, heh. Only on old games will you find Glide support, and for those games yes the Voodoo5 would be best, heh.

I've got a Voodoo5 5500 right now

but one thing you have to understand is support for the V5 has stopped, there will be no new drivers, and nothing. It's rumoured that Nvidia is gonna make some new drivers for it up to 2002, but so far that's just a rumour that even Nvidia hasn't confirmed.

Sorry to say but if you want Glide support get ya a fast Nvidia card for 3D and OGL and then find a CHEAP voodoo2 card or something to throw in there for Glide support if you REALLLY need it.

The V5 aint as fast as I had hoped, a GeForce2 and Radeon smoke it. And the NV20 (GeForce3) will be even better and have FSAA also.
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

i know glide is a 3dfx thing, but didnt nvidia buy 3dfx, so they could use glide, i mean, why is it that my mx card runs UT poorer than my voodoo4 4500? is direct x and that bad!, i know if it supported open GL better UT would run faster, but still!

UT is based off of Unreal which is was written SOLEY for Glide

they LATER added in OGL and D3D and because it's natively written for Glide Glide runs so much better on Unreal and UT and D3D and OGL suffer because of that

for Unreal 2 they are gonna write the code from the ground up to work best in D3D and OGL unlike Unreal 1 and UT was done...

I was on the Unreal 1 patch beta team and I got all the inside info on those two games Unreal 1 and UT

i like my voodoo 4500 pci.... i don't care what anyone says
    Give me a fish, and you feed me for a day, teach me to fish and I won't be so damn lazy.

I like my Voodoo5 5500 64MB AGP and I don't care what anyone says

the thing I really like about it is the FSAA and stuff

but it's a damn shame it's T-Buffer will never fully be utilized, I was really looking forward to Motion Blur and Depth of Field

I just got a v5 for 100 + 15 shipping.
    should be here tuesday or wednesday.

JD
    NCTI - Certified
    SCTE--Member
    Specialized cable fixxer upper

as neat as the V5 is though the GF2 still smokes it....

it's just not fast enough, the Voodoo5 6000 woulda been the the REAL one to show the power of it's FSAA and T-Buffer, but now that is a dream broken

Thumbs down

yeah first 3dfx then sega, im crushed. question, do games run "fine" and more then "playable" with the v5?
    oh yeah and, http://pub43.ezboard.com/fx3dfxfrm2....icID=376.topic new drivers on the way.

[ 02-18-2001: Message edited by: colour ]
    asdf?

yeah, the v5 5500 outperforms many Geforce MX cards in Q3 and blows them away in UT(but thats kuz UT was made upon 3DFX basically)

JD
    NCTI - Certified
    SCTE--Member

3dfx sucks! NVIVIA OWNS JOO ALL!!

Originally posted by iceman3233:
    3dfx sucks! NVIVIA OWNS JOO ALL!!

rotflmaoASN
    NCTI - Certified
    SCTE--Member

Talking

Lets all face the true facts here:

3DFX was a rogue company who did well for a while and were the "guy to beat" in the VGA card world.

The problem with 3DFX was they were too unwilling to change...they kept the same video processing core since the V2 and only upped the RAMDAC speed and the video ram size. Where is the progress in that????

NVidia and ATI are constantly looking for ways to improve their products, and although some of them suck...I say keep trying!
    The idea of using a separate GPU built on board is revolutionary and will show it's true guts when the drivers and the 3D games finally catch up to it. Right now, all of the games have to run on standard 3D cards, however, I can't wait until game producers bring out GPU tuned versions.