Thread: I got one heck of a problem i really could use some help

Angry I got one heck of a problem i really could use some help

its me again. I recently upgraded from win98 first edition to windows 2000 professional edition, and its going great.

however i ahve one problem. i have only a 6 gig hardrive, and for home use its not enough. so i went out and bought a 30 gigabyte western digital hardrive 7200 rpm. its an internal so i popped it in , and now i have a problem. The 30 gig drive is a slave drive and the 6 gig is the primary. Now yu must remember i am running windows 2000 professional edition.

NOw the problem is its only reading 1.99 gigs of the 30 gigabyte hardrive. I mean it recognizes it and detects thats not my problem.. The problem is its only reading 1.99 gigabytes of the whole 30 gigs. Why is this? And what should i do. I tried going to www.windows2000.com for tech support, but i get a big seach and tech runaround.

frustated please help
    Yes thats my reflection....

Let them laugh now,
    let them laugh for years,
    we'll see whos laughing in the house of mirriors............

Questions comments Towards me? email me.........

bobby@runbox.com

check fdisk, see if maybe u only made the primary for 5 percent or something, see how it reads there.

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice

If that doesnt work, try going to www.maxtor.com and using the formatting software to reformat the disk. It works great and it's easy to use. If you're still up poop's creek, trying finding someone to borrow partition magic from. I had a maxtor 15gig and I got 8gig from it. It took a little bit, I was able to fix it with partition magic after a couple of tries and restore the partition. I would have used the maxtor program, but i dont have the required floppy drive.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

check your BIOS

make sure your BIOS is detecting the drive as the correct seetings and size first, if your bios doesn't recognize it nothing else will

then in windows see if you can right click on it and format it in fat32
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Talking

Make sure the drive properties are set to LBA in the BIOS.

Common problem is the auto detect function does not autodetect properly on some mobos.

You may also need to flash the BIOS.

if bios doesn't detect, find a disk that came w/ ur drive and use ez bios to install the drive. ur puter may not be recognising the entire drive....

if bios doesn't detect, find a disk that came w/ ur drive and use ez bios to install the drive. ur puter may not be recognising the entire drive....