Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm going to buy a gun

Probly the only gun they'll let us have here.
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    These debates always make me think of the woman who was kidnapped and thrown, purse and all, into the trunk of a car by a serial killer. He drove her out into the woods with the intention of raping, torturing, and killing her. (When the police looked up his record after the fact, he was implicated in other murders). She had a gun, legally. When he opened up the trunk, she was ready, and she shot him, and saved her own life.

There's lots of pros and cons about owning a gun. Liberal as I am, one exception is guns - I believe everyone has the right to own a gun for self defense. I find it incredibly important as one of our rights as Americans, as important as free speech.

That said, many of the things ppl have said here are true. You need to be prepared to use it. You need to know HOW to use it, so you're not fumbling with it when you need it most. You need to think of who comes into your house, where you'll keep it, will you lock it in a safe or not. And you need to think about your own temper. Most ppl would say "temper - come on.. of course I'm not going to shoot someone just cos I'm pissed at them, give me a break". But imagine your girl comes home and says she got in an accident with some guy who had a bad case of road rage, and he pushed her down before he drove off. Will you be able to control yourself, or will you grab your gun "just in case" or "just to scare him"? If you would take your gun in that situation, you shouldn't have one.

I dont think a gun should be brought out unless someone's life is at stake. I don't believe in shooting someone over property. A tv is not worth a human life.

However, if someone breaks into my home and incapacitates my boyfriend before he's able to do anything, and now he's coming at me to do god knows what, if I have my gun, I'm going to use it.

And there's my two cents on the whole gun thing
    For what its worth, you and I think along the same lines on a lot of things.

Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

if its for personal/home defense, i'd suggest a shotgun. aside from a machine gun, youre looking at the most lethal common close-range weapon. plus, they dont pose a major threat to folks outside your home. or at least not as major as something that fires single bullets, which can go through your wall, as well as the wall of your neighbors.

in any event, i say go for it. just keep in mind that the margin for error with firearms is ZERO. it will be a very painful lesson in respect the day you slip up.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Quote Originally Posted by roundeye View Post
    for what its worth, you and i think along the same lines on a lot of things.

<3
    There is security in fearlessness.

I grew up around guns. My Dad took me out to the lakes for years. I sat on hay bails since I was 5, before I was allowed to carry or even shoot a gun. I shot my 1st Duck at the age of 7 with dads 12 gauge shotgun. Sure he was holding it up for me, but I aimed and fired it. And sure the heck knocked me on my Azz, but the instant education of what they did to cans of tomatoes on fence posts and the 1st duck I ever shot made for some lasting memories.

Got my 1st 22 rifle (a Nylon 66) at 13 years of age and I could only take it out with him and he was always there when I had any loaded weapon until I was 16. At 16 he figured since I was driving farm equipment since I was 12 and had my drivers license at 16, he thought I was old enough to hunt on my own. My twin brother and I were then allowed to go hunting together at that age.

Since then, I have owned other hand guns, shot guns, large bore rifles, hunting bows and a few paint ball and BB guns. The paint ball and BB guns are my 1st line of defense and are never going to stop being fun. You never know when you are going to have to defend the back yard from empty beer cans. I am glad I live in a "make my day law state". I am currently buying a left and a right handed 50 cal Hawkins muzzle loader for my birthday. I'm left handed, my brothers right handed.

Given a good solid education on guns they are something any responsible adult should own. The irresponsible owners and criminals who use them should not be allowed the privilege of ownership and should be punished accordingly. Violent criminals should be handled violently. If you use a hand gun in a crime. Cops should have the open season rights to put them down. Sounds harsh, but if you cap a few the rest will figure it out.
    USAF RETIRED

Brent you need one of these:

[ link ]

[ link ]
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    Brent,

You seriously need to think about this for a few minutes.

What if the firearm decided to load itself, aim itself at babies, and fire itself at those babies? How would you feel?

Its JUST not worth it. All these firearms loading themselves and killing...just not worth it I tell you!

As stupid as it sounds, you need to consider ammo availability right now. Here in Fort Worth its next to impossible to find certain rounds, whats the point of having a firearm if you can't use it.

That said i would grab a 12 gauge for defense, and a pistol for backup and target practice.

PRACTICE as much as you can afford to.
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    ....... ok, glad I live in another state.

You're safe...now you can speak your mind with fear.

Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    What does this have to do with the topic?
    "If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    if its for personal/home defense, i'd suggest a shotgun. aside from a machine gun, youre looking at the most lethal common close-range weapon. plus, they dont pose a major threat to folks outside your home. or at least not as major as something that fires single bullets, which can go through your wall, as well as the wall of your neighbors.

in any event, i say go for it. just keep in mind that the margin for error with firearms is ZERO. it will be a very painful lesson in respect the day you slip up.
    the drawback of a shotgun is they are heavier and bulkier. you also don't get much sleep hiding it under your pillow.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    the drawback of a shotgun is they are heavier and bulkier. you also don't get much sleep hiding it under your pillow.
    Oh I don't know, I have my dads old Ithica side by side 20ga that is feather light and not very long and my .357 within reach.
    Last edited by blebs; 05-01-09 at 06:52 AM.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

I keep a pistol on my bed side table at all times. I also carry a pistol on my person at ALL times.
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    I keep a pistol on my bed side table at all times. I also carry a pistol on my person at ALL times.
    same here... shotgun within reach as well

to be honest Brent, i don't think you have the correct mentality to have a gun. no offense intended.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    and who knows what direction our government will take us in the future with this country. Just, incase.
    A gun will not help you then.