Thread: Five clues that you are addicted to Facebook

Five clues that you are addicted to Facebook

This also applies to Myspace since they are pretty much the same thing!

You know you're a Facebook addict when ...

1. You lose sleep over Facebook

"If you're staying up late at night because you're on Facebook, and you're tired the next day, Facebook may be a compulsion for you," Lipari said. "You shouldn't be neglecting yourself because of Facebook."

2. You spend more than an hour a day on Facebook

Pile says it's hard to pinpoint exactly how much is too much time to be spending on social networking.

"I can't imagine that anyone would need more than an hour a day on Facebook, and probably no one needs more than 30 minutes," she said.

3. You become obsessed with old loves

Reconnecting with old friends is one of the great attractions of Facebook, and there's nothing necessarily wrong with "friending" an old boyfriend or girlfriend. But Pile warns that it can get out of hand very quickly.

"One of my clients met up with an old boyfriend on Facebook. They started spending hours and hours into the night talking to each other on Facebook. She made some really inappropriate comments about how unhappy she was in her marriage," Pile said. "Her cousin saw the comments and told her parents, and the parents told the husband, and now they're in the process of getting divorced."

4. You ignore work in favor of Facebook

"If you're not doing your job in order to sneak time on Facebook, you could have a real problem," Lipari said.

5. The thought of getting off Facebook leaves you in a cold sweat

Sarah Browne, who writes the Guru of New blog, gave up Facebook for Lent last month when she realized that she had a "mild" addiction to the site. She's come up with "Seven Signs You May Be Ready for a Social Media Detox."

Pile has her own quick test: "Try going a day without Facebook. If you find it causes you a lot of stress and anxiety, you really need to get some help."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/23...ict/index.html

SG Enthusiast
    I'm not addicted...really. During the week I have it on most of the day, I talk with family..the only way I can keep my eye on the kids in Alberta.
    I think Facebook is great, I have found friends from public school and high school..with out facebook they are people I would never have contact with. It is amazing!! No old boyfriends yet..just friends I knew 40+ years ago..and then there is the older than dirt thing.

Just remember its also a very good place for spyware/malware to hide... myspace is a close second for this junk.

SG Enthusiast
    I know..it's those apps..played with one the other day to send things to our daughter in law..my virus software went nuts. I'm not much of a phone person..I like to text and type. My cell is for texting the kids and facebook for talking to old friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Just remember its also a very good place for spyware/malware to hide... myspace is a close second for this junk.
    Sava ftw.