Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama scores early military win, avoids PR debacle

Post Obama scores early military win, avoids PR debacle

Good morning. And it's a good morning for President Obama, who is waking up to headlines about rescued sea captain Richard Phillips and will be out on the White House lawn this morning with a bunch of kids at the annual Easter Egg Roll. Later this morning, the president is scheduled to give remarks at the Transportation Department.

The Washington Post says the Phillips rescue, in which Navy SEALs killed three Somali pirates who had kidnapped the captain, gave Obama "an early victory that could help build confidence in his ability to direct military actions abroad."

The Associated Press analyzes Obama's "muted but determined" handling of the incident and calls the outcome "a big win for his administration in its first national security crisis." There's more on Obama's behind-the-scenes involvement and dodging of a PR bullet at the Post's blog, The Fix.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit.../04/65396421/1

I don't see where Obama had much to do with this.. we are following Rules of Engagement and this appears to have been a reaction based response under certain circumstances that allowed the SEALS to rescue this guy.

Don't expect me to run out and do the Toyota jump for Obama cause of this... if anything all the credit goes to the sailors on those ships and the Captain for doing what he did for his crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I don't see where Obama had much to do with this.. we are following Rules of Engagement and this appears to have been a reaction based response under certain circumstances that allowed the SEALS to rescue this guy.

Don't expect me to run out and do the Toyota jump for Obama cause of this... if anything all the credit goes to the sailors on those ships and the Captain for doing what he did for his crew.
    Read the links within the article. He had alot to do with it. Here's what I am talking about.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the...l?hpid=topnews

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Read the links within the article. He had alot to do with it.
    I think its BS if he gets credit for this... the SEALs, the sailors on those ships should get 100% of it.

I'm sure he will parade them up at the white house very soon while giving them all a pat on the back to make himself look like a leader that he's not. Maybe he will let them play on the new White House play land too!

Let me step outside and do the Toyota jump.....

Why am I not surprised.

Why am I not surprised.
    Just to clear the record here.. even if Bush was still in office I'd think the same way.. doesn't matter who the President is or was, I'd feel the same way.

Just to clear the record here.. even if Bush was still in office I'd think the same way.. doesn't matter who the President is or was, I'd feel the same way.
    Sava you and I don't disagree that the SEALS and soldiers on the ship should get most of the credit. What I am saying is President Obama does deserve some credit. Obviously we know if it had backfired he would have gotten most of the blame. Again, I'm not saying he deserves most of it. Just some.

Again, I'm not saying he deserves most of it. Just some.
    maybe, but I don't want to see people go googoo gaga over him being a savior or something cause he wasn't putting his life on the line to do what they did. But for obvious political reasons he will be displayed that way and likely have them parade around the WhiteHouse very soon just as I'd expect any president would do... but I like the idea of letting them play on the Presidental PlayLand

I think the only one on here who thinks he is a savior at least in words is you Sava. I haven't seen one pro-Obama member refer to him as a savior. I have however seen you use that term quite a bit in reference to him.

Still I give credit to you for even considering he deserves a little bit of credit.

I think the only one on here who thinks he is a savior at least in words is you Sava. I haven't seen one pro-Obama member refer to him as a savior. I have however seen you use that term quite a bit in reference to him.

Still I give credit to you for even considering he deserves a little bit of credit.
    To be really honest I think this is prob the only thread I've referenced him as a "Savior" from what people may view him as but I don't consider him one at all.

Maybe its from me fully watching and researching the Obama Deception video cause man was that a eye opener!

Well no one on here that I have seen who likes him as ever referred to him as such so that one time you just mentioned is still one more then the rest of us.

The reference IMO comes from the fact he is charasmatic and he is following one of the most unpopular Presidents in the history of this country. It stands to reason expectations would be high to right all those wrongs. That however does not make him a savior even if he ends up being one of the greatest Presidents ever.

we know if it had backfired he would have gotten most of the blame.

Politics suck!
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

If it failed we could blame Ross Perot.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

I think its BS if he gets credit for this... the SEALs, the sailors on those ships should get 100% of it.

I'm sure he will parade them up at the white house very soon while giving them all a pat on the back to make himself look like a leader that he's not. Maybe he will let them play on the new White House play land too!

Let me step outside and do the Toyota jump.....
    So all credit to those that do the job but none to the one giving the order to go in?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    So all credit to those that do the job but none to the one giving the order to go in?
    never said that...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    If it failed we could blame Ross Perot.
    True, he did help make Clinton our president.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

never said that...
    Well you said its BS if he gets credit for it, if he gave teh order to go in and end it, then what?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    He was only told to go through the motions of approving it, he's a puppet don't forget. It's not like he actually did the planning 'n such.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    He was only told to go through the motions of approving it, he's a puppet don't forget. It's not like he actually did the planning 'n such.
    He still had the option to say no don't go in.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    He still had the option to say no don't go in.
    But they didn't program a "No" into his teleprompt.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!