Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obama scores early military win, avoids PR debacle

Actually, I deserve a lot of the credit.. After all the first thing I said when this happened, was "Just train a bunch of snipers on these guys.. Everyone pick a dude, draw a bead on their heads and everyone shoot at the count of 3".

Good thing big brother was listening....
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    But they didn't program a "No" into his teleprompt.
    You are unusually harsh on the man Scat. Can't say I understand that. There is little to support the idea that Obama can only think when he has a teleprompter in front of him. On the contrary it's pretty much common knowledge that Obama is highly intelligent.

The man's political affiliation should have nothing to do with this situation. Truth is everyone involved in this rescue attempt whether Republican or Democrat deserves to take a bow today.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post

The man's political affiliation should have nothing to do with this situation. Truth is everyone involved in this rescue attempt whether Republican or Democrat deserves to take a bow today.
    The service men/women directly involved have my salute! Esp the team that went out and actually did the deed.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The service men/women directly involved have my salute! Esp the team that went out and actually did the deed.
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    ....The man's political affiliation should have nothing to do with this situation. Truth is everyone involved in this rescue attempt whether Republican or Democrat deserves to take a bow today.
    Obama took his bow a little early.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I think unfortunately we have made martyrs of a group of people and increased the long line of people who hate the United States. At this point I donít think we handled the situation improperly, they left us little or any other choice.

These people are probably seen as Robin Hoods in their own country. Steal from the rich and give to the poor. I think there is no way we can prepare for the backlash of the outcome. Itís not over, watch and see.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    I think unfortunately we have made martyrs of a group of people and increased the long line of people who hate the United States.
    President Bush really made this country less safe then it was in 2000. His cowboy ways made it to where we lost alot of International respect. It's going to take quite sometime for that damage to be undone. It's a big part of the time Obama spent on his first international trip. He had to show people the U.S. isn't as arrogant as President Bush's actions suggested us to be. President Bush didn't understand what humility was. He was John Wayne when Ghandi at times was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    I think unfortunately we have made martyrs of a group of people and increased the long line of people who hate the United States. At this point I donít think we handled the situation improperly, they left us little or any other choice.

These people are probably seen as Robin Hoods in their own country. Steal from the rich and give to the poor. I think there is no way we can prepare for the backlash of the outcome. Itís not over, watch and see.
    It's never over.. That's the problem with dealing with fanatics.. Unless you're willing to get as extreme as they are, you'll always have issues. Unfortunately it takes brutal actions that our Country isn't willing to dish out to deal with extremists.
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!

Borger: Republicans Twittering away credibility

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- When presidents are new, first impressions really count: Your demeanor (shirtsleeves, not jackets, in the Oval Office), your stature (move over, Mr. Sarkozy) and, of course, your plans for America's future (not to mention your plans for our 401(k)s).

Since President Obama's presidential bid was a very long affair -- and since his predecessor left with a 28 percent approval rating -- he came into office with an advantage. Americans figured they knew him and they surely liked him better than the previous guy.

And they understood he was persistent: After all, he was the underdog who beat the once-presumptive nominee, Hillary Clinton. And, by the way, he also gave great speeches.

But new presidents are always tested, as Joe Biden famously predicted. But not just on one front, on all fronts. And Obama has had more than his share, as he likes to remind us -- an economic crisis that threatened to take down the economy; a North Korean nuclear warhead that soared into space.

And finally, the pirates of Somalia -- threatening an American crew -- hold an American captain hostage. A high-stakes, visible, compelling story, with inevitable winners and losers.

That's when you learn about a president.

The president played it cool -- in fact, pitch-perfect -- as it turns out. We now know that while he was saying little in public, he was completely engaged. He sent his secretary of state to warn the pirates publicly -- while the president privately held more than 17 briefings on the matter and made sure the bureaucrats at all agencies were working together (no small task).

And finally, he gave an unambiguous order -- to shoot if the captain's life was in peril.

And when it was all over, as a top administration official told me, Obama "didn't wrap himself around the bravery of those military seals."

Indeed, he commended the captain, the SEALs, called for multilateral efforts to stop piracy -- and went on the next day to give an economic speech. Indeed, this aide adds, "He's not about to put on a flight suit on an aircraft carrier and declare mission accomplished."

Not his style, they say.

But what about the style of say, Newt Gingrich? The former House Speaker -- often mentioned as a possible presidential contender in 2012 -- decided to Twitter his inner thoughts on the pirates in real-time.

Last Saturday: "Obama is making a major mistake in not forcefully outlining the rules of civilization for dealing with pirates. We look weak."

By Monday, after the safe rescue of the captain, Gingrich was, er, a tad more laudatory: "The Navy seals did exactly the right thing in rescuing the American captain. President Obama did the right thing in allowing the Navy to act."

A grudging kudo, if there ever was one.

Would it have been better if the president of the United States had publicly engaged with a bunch of teenage thug pirates? It's beneath Obama's pay grade and dignity -- not to mention how it would have added fuel to an already incendiary situation.

So how about just admitting that the administration performed admirably in this crisis?

Here's the problem: If Republicans can't allow that the president did his job well in this unambiguous case, why should we believe their complaints about anything else? If they can't pat him on the back for this one, why should we even listen to their arguments about the budget, about health care, about energy?

If Republicans want Americans to see their arguments as credible -- as they may well be -- they need to present themselves as the credible opposition.

Good first impressions count for them, too. And so far, Republicans are Twittering them away.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/...ans/index.html

But they didn't program a "No" into his teleprompt.

YeOld...you do realize that all Presidents use them?

Are you also aware that Reagan was noted as being the teleprompter King?

I know that there's a lot of hoopla about Obama using one but hey...the Limbaughs of the world have to find something to bitch about....It's how they make their money. Dividing America an teaching how to hate..

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.