Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comcast email

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    yeah and? nothing wrong with that, we should have that right, i hate the cap too
    And that means paying a higher price as the ISP would have to purchase enough bandwidth so all their customers to run at their max speed 24/7 forever.

Caps or other TOS that limit use are necessary.

maybe so, but i can still hate it and want them to raise it
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Well Comcast says we have DOCSIS 3.0 in my area, and I'll need a new router to see the speeds.

a new router? or a new modem

i don't see the need for a new router, but you will need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to enjoy it
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Typo on my part there... I meant modem. I have a D-Link 655 that's still running strong.

I've found two places selling the SB6120's but they are going for around 100$

I've not heard anything for this area on the 3.0 roll out.. took forever to get the 16/2 here.

Im currently renting my modem from Comcast, so should be an easy switch.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Im currently renting my modem from Comcast, so should be an easy switch.
    Same here, but as of now I am not aware of this feature being available in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Same here, but as of now I am not aware of this feature being available in my area.
    Ya I don't know either. Have to keep an eye on dslreports I guess.

I'd never lease the modem from them.... the cost of my SB5120 was like 30$ so it was really a easy choice to buy my own. The prices of the new 3.0 modems are high now but I would imagin they will start coming down prob around the time newegg and a few others start selling them that I buy from.

I leased cuz my 5120 broke and teh talk of DOCSIS 3 rollout was underway, figured I'd wait on buying a replacement until there was an affordable DOCSIS 3 one.

I leased cuz my 5120 broke and teh talk of DOCSIS 3 rollout was underway, figured I'd wait on buying a replacement until there was an affordable DOCSIS 3 one.
    They don't lease the 5120's around here for some reason when they are the better modems... and I'm really unsure why newegg stopped selling them unless the roll out of the new ones are coming.

Ya I have an RCA now, I believe Comcast has a contract with RCA.

Ya I have an RCA now, I believe Comcast has a contract with RCA.
    They use a few different modems around here but the motorola's get better speeds from their systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    They use a few different modems around here but the motorola's get better speeds from their systems.
    Other than RCA or the Arris modems, what have you seen handed out?

Other than RCA or the Arris modems, what have you seen handed out?
    just those 3,, the RCA, Arris, and Motorola's but different models of each too

I wonder if Comcast is going to better support dlink modems for DOCSIS 3.

Interesting article written last year about DOCSIS 3.0 and their 250gig cap..how the cap is just a slap in the face for anyone wanting to get on the "wideband train".

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts likes his new high-tech toys, even if using them on his own cable system is now pointless. At the January Consumer Electronics Show, Roberts demonstrated the next generation of broadband Comcast is poised to begin rolling out to consumers in the next several months.

Dubbed “wideband,” Roberts downloaded a High Definition copy of Batman Begins in less than four minutes. Comcast’s DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade, which bonds multiple channels together to deliver broadband speeds up to 160 Megabits per second, will be able to bring Comcast customers the latest high bandwidth applications, particularly including very high quality video, in just a matter of minutes.

Designed to compete with Verizon’s FIOS fiber to the home network, Comcast’s “wideband” service will create a new paradigm for high quality video services entering the home.

Except for one thing.

A 250GB monthly usage cap.

Using Comcast’s wideband service, customers downloading movies could easily exceed the 250GB cap in less than five hours.

Even the cable industry’s trade publications like Multichannel News are now posing questions about how exactly Comcast can promote customers upgrading to wideband service when a cap of 250GB stops the fun in a matter of hours. What MN didn’t add to the equation is the fact Verizon FIOS does not have a usage cap and has no current plans to implement one.

So exactly why would any consumer choose Comcast wideband, with a usage cap over Verizon FIOS, which leaves you alone and doesn’t threaten to terminate your service if you use more than the cable company deems appropriate?

Another issue MN touched on, but didn’t bother extending to the real issue - stifling competition:

Imagine if all your TV were delivered via the Internet. High-quality 1080i HD video at (conservatively) an average of 5 Mbps would chew up plenty of bandwidth: roughly 286 Gigabytes in a 30-day period, given that Americans watch an average of 127 hours and 15 minutes of TV per month, according to Nielsen. Cap busted!

Imagine indeed. Imagine virtual “cable companies” delivering cable networks and broadcast TV over the Internet. Pay your monthly bill for data from the cable company, but watch your video programming from another provider. A 250GB cap puts an end to that business plan quite nicely, thank you.

http://stopthecap.com/category/dsl-c...l-cable-modem/

It has a point but is rather biased.

Verizon FIOS doesn't have a cap but its terms of service does say that the connection is a consumer level account and not for high volume usage, and that you may not exceed the bandwidth limit that Verizon may establish. If you do not comply you may be suspended or terminated from Verizon.

So they are set if they want to impliment one.

a.k.a. GSXR 750