Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donating to community food banks

Donating to community food banks

As we progress through the recession, keep in mind that many folks are going hungry. It may also be under reported in the media. I find it difficult to think about kids that are going hungry.

For me, that's where the line is drawn as it relates to political debate. There is none. Kids in our country should not go hungry. Period.

You can help if you take a few minutes and a few dollars to contribute to the needs of the needy.

A great site is here:

http://feedingamerica.org/take-action/dinein.aspx

there are many ways to help, this is just one.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Certified SG Addict
    Wait for these places to get shut down like the food co-ops...

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Wait for these places to get shut down like the food co-ops...

Sad but true.

Even though I don't go to church, every month I walk down the street to the local Methodist church and ask the pastor is he has any families in need....I'll go to the Acme and pick up a bag or two of soups, crackers, bottled water, etc., and give it to him to distribute as he sees fit.

Not sure how they swing 350 meals for $50, but I'm in while they're here

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Not sure how they swing 350 meals for $50, but I'm in while they're here
    don't feel compelled to donate just because I posted that site....there are local charities right here in south jersey that would benefit from your kindness..

http://www.foodbanksj.org/

BTW, I live in Marlton now.

Eat less meat. That'll help with the food problem.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    don't feel compelled to donate just because I posted that site....there are local charities right here in south jersey that would benefit from your kindness..

http://www.foodbanksj.org/

BTW, I live in Marlton now.
    With the amount they match, it seemed a good choice. I'm a firm believer in giving what you can to the community. When money's tight, there's plenty of organizations in need of time, or various expertise.

I'm still in Mount Laurel. We should make a point of grabbing lunch or something, sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    With the amount they match, it seemed a good choice. I'm a firm believer in giving what you can to the community. When money's tight, there's plenty of organizations in need of time, or various expertise.

I'm still in Mount Laurel. We should make a point of grabbing lunch or something, sometime soon.

LOL, I'll bring you to work, you can have an MRE with me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    Eat less meat. That'll help with the food problem.
    ummm, wrong thread.

Although I see your point and as a lacto/pesce vegetarian agree with the concept of eating less meat I don't think that has anything to do with the topic of this thread.
    Last edited by Humboldt; 04-05-09 at 12:53 PM.

Another site that you could donate too as well as get food really really cheap is http://www.angelfoodministries.com/
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

I've worked a local food bank in the past...its amazing at the amount of donated food you have to go through to look for expiration dates that these places like walmart will donate just to get a tax break out of it.

Thank you for posting this. THIS is important. People need to remember that there are a lot of others who need help from those who have means.

Blog Entries
    We do so on a regular basis, both foodstuffs, dental supplies and services.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    ummm, wrong thread.

Although I see your point and as a lacto/pesce vegetarian agree with the concept of eating less meat I don't think that has anything to do with the topic of this thread.
    Eat less meat and there will be more food. This means more to go around. Also a shift in the diet of the consumers will shift the market. Companies will shift from costly meat to effective veggies to meet consumer demands. A greater focus on supplying a veggie diet will boots technology and ambition in this field. Companies would not have to pay the extra overhead for meat and, as per the idea of free market, competition would eventually pass these saving onto consumers (which in this case I think might actually happen; seeing how there are many competing in this market). Food will become cheaper and more accessible and this will not only benefit the charitable organizations but also the average family. Also shifting to a more veggie center diet will allow an individual more readily to buy, more so, from a local source. Which would help boost local economy and a healthy economy means less people go hungry.

I really don't understand where you are coming from about this being the wrong thread. People want to do something to help easy hunger problems and I was suggesting people eat less meat. Seems like the right place to me.

A few quickly Googled figures.

Meat vs. Veggies:

1. Amount of potatoes that can be grown on 1 acre (over 4,000 square meters): 20,000 lbs. (over 9,000 kg)
    2. Amount of beef that can be grown on one acre: 165 lbs. (75 kg)
    3. The same land to feed 1 “meat-eater” could feed from 20 to up to 150 vegetarians!
    4. Amount of protein fed to chicken to produce 1 lbs of chicken: 5 lbs. (1 to 5 ratio!)
    5. Amount of protein fed to hogs to produce 1 lbs of hog flesh: 7,5 lbs!
    6. Number of people who starve to death yearly: 60 million!
    7. Number of people who could be saved if Americans reduced their meat intake by just 10% percent: 60 million! World hunger could be solved by just introducing a meat-free day.

Water:

1. Water needed to make 1 lbs of wheat: 25 gallons (95 liters)
    2. Water needed for 1 lbs of meat: 2,500 gallons (9465 liters)
    3. Cost of 1 lbs of wheat: $1.50
    4. Cost of 1 lbs of beefsteak: $15.40
    5. Cost of 1 lbs of beefsteak if the water that is needed for its production wasn’t subsidized: $89

Energy and materials:

1. Time that petroleum reserves would last if everyone ate meat only: 13 years.
    2. If everyone was vegetarian: 260 years.
    3. Percentage of energy return (1 unit of food energy compared to 1 unit of energy used to produce it) from meat: 34.5% (over 65% of energy loss).
    4. Percentage of energy return from plant food: 328%!
    5. Raw materials consumed for all purposes for a meat-centered diet: 33%.
    6. Raw materials consumed for all purposes for a pure vegetarian diet: 2%.
    http://www.bodytweaking.com/2006/04/...s-and-figures/
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 04-05-09 at 08:02 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    LOL, I'll bring you to work, you can have an MRE with me.
    Sounds fun, I've been meaning to stock up on these from Mountain house.

jbc...

Please realize I agree with most of what you already posted. This thread isn't about the long term goal of shifting people towards a more plant-based diet instead of a meat-based diet. I's about getting food to those in need now.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    jbc...

Please realize I agree with most of what you already posted. This thread isn't about the long term goal of shifting people towards a more plant-based diet instead of a meat-based diet. I's about getting food to those in need now.
    The issue is that people are hungry and what can be done to help. I posted a suggestion following the line of thought of UOD's last statement in the OP: "there are many ways to help, this is just one. " I was just adding another suggestion on the pile.

But at any rate, fine, you stated that you think it is off topic and I disagree. Time to move off it now. If the mods feel differently then they can do as they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    The issue is that people are hungry and what can be done to help. I posted a suggestion following the line of thought of UOD's last statement in the op: "there are many ways to help, this is just one. " I was just adding another suggestion on the pile.
    Is that a fix that can help now or in the long run? As it is now its cheaper to buy meat products than veggies that I've seen.

Also until they make veggies that takes like beef, chicken, ham, and pork, I wouldn't expect that to be too popular with most people.

Broke
    Cool thing I see here, is people walking past here to go to the food bank 2 blocks over. An hour later they come back with bags of free food.
    Then they proceed to walk over to the beer store 1 block the other way and pick up their daily ration of beer with their welfare money that should have been spent on food.
    They do this daily at the expense of the taxpayers and donaters.
    Free food and a case of beer a day.
    Man, I should quit working and take up the life of welfare leisure

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Is that a fix that can help now or in the long run? As it is now its cheaper to buy meat products than veggies that I've seen.

Also until they make veggies that takes like beef, chicken, ham, and pork, I wouldn't expect that to be too popular with most people.
    "Is that a fix that can help now or in the long run?"

Its rate of impact, I would think, would depend mainly on how widespread the practice is. But, at any rate, you have to start at some point. And as of now our charities, while charitable, seem to just be throwing food down a bottomless pit.

"As it is now its cheaper to buy meat products than veggies that I've seen."

Meat is cheaper then things like bread, rice, and pasta?

*runs to store to check*...

...OK back. I had to go anyways so I took down some prices.

Cheapest price that I noticed (it was a quick servery).

Spaghetti - 1.10 per pound

Rice, small bag - .87 per pound

Pinto Bean, small bag - .78 per pound

Potatoes, ultimate cheap-man's food - .18 per pound (they only had sales price marked for the potatoes. But even at x2 price or even x3 they are still very cheap)

Apples - 1.33 per pound

Then there was all the other stuff like lettuce, onions, carrots and etc. Most went for a buck or under per pound.

On to meat...

Chicken legs - 1.49 per pound

Chicken thighs - 3.49 per pound

Chicken breast - 3.79 per pound

Chicken whole - 1.59 per pound

Pork, lowest - 3.29 per pound

Ham - 2.19 per pound

Beef, lowest - 2.99 per pound.

Of course this is Safeway. Around here they have comparatively high prices. I am sure at a place like Winco, Costco, or Grocery Outlit you'd find much better prices on all products.

"Also until they make veggies that takes like beef, chicken, ham, and pork, I wouldn't expect that to be too popular with most people."

Well, I am not talking about a total abandonment of meat; just a reduction.
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 04-06-09 at 01:12 AM.