Thread: First Rule of Photography

Blog Entries

Talking First Rule of Photography

The photo below is a shot I took at the San Diego Zoo last week, and, I feel, it is a very good photo, for it sticks firmly to the First Rule of Photography.

What is the First Rule of Photography, you ask?

Well, I'm glad you asked. I used to wonder myself. I'd hear all those big boys with their big expensive cameras and huge lenses talking in hushed tones about the First Rule of Photography. Eventually I decided I had to find out for myself what this golden rule might be - the rule that I'd heard tell could promote a man in one fell swoop from bumbling amateur to cream of the crop.

So I took myself off to Barnes & Nobles. Not just any old B&N obviously: the huge one in town. I went to the photography section and asked the assistant if they had any books that might tell me the First Rule of Photography.

"Ah," he said with a smile. "We'll be wanting the ladder then."

He went off and returned with - you guessed it - a ladder. I followed him round to an alcove - a part of the shop I'd never quite noticed before, no matter how many times I'd visited. I watched as he climbed the ladder to the very top shelf and then, with a grunt, began to descend with the biggest book I had ever seen.

Not just the biggest photography book, you understand. The biggest book. Full stop.

He dropped it onto a table with a huge thud. "There you go," he said. "Page 1024." And off he went.

I opened the enormous front cover of the monstrous book - a volume bound in black leather and bearing no title. Inside, printed on its heavy, glossy pages, were quite simply the most astonishing photographs I have ever seen. Taking care not to damage it, I began to leaf carefully through it. Every time, when I thought I had witnessed the finest possible example of the photographer's art, I turned the page only to reveal a picture of such staggering aesthetic, such breathtaking originality, that what went before now seemed unremarkable by comparison.

It seemed to take an age just to reach page 100, and I had over 10 times that to get through. Picture after picture swam past my eyes, and I knew for sure that the man at Barnes & Noble was right, for if any book might reveal to me the First Rule of Photography, surely this was that book.

Finally, I arrived at the double page numbered 1022-1023. I had seemed to take so long - days, weeks, even years. My soul was full to bursting and aching with the beauty that had been revealed to it.

I took a deep breath.

With a trembling hand I reached out and turned the page.

I gasped.

Page 1024 was empty - all except for two lines of text printed right in the very center, the type script so tiny I had to squint before it came into focus.

It read:

The First Rule of Photography
    Everybody loves a monkey.

*Many thanks to the "Everybody Loves a Monkey" group on flickr for the inspiration for this thread

I gotta tell you, the Zoo in San Diego is pretty damn amazing. But you better be in fairly decent shape before you go...all the hills and stairs will wear you out quickly if you're not used to it

Nice shot, what kind of monkey is that?

What else'd you get Indy?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post

Nice shot, what kind of monkey is that?

What else'd you get Indy?
    I'm not quite sure what type of monkey it is, I forgot to note that when I took the picture...

As far as other stuff...(click the photos for larger images)

I haven't gotten all the photos processed or looked at yet, I think I took nearly a thousand shots while out in California

Beautiful Scarlet Macaw

Out in CA and you didn't stop by?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Beautiful Scarlet Macaw

Out in CA and you didn't stop by?
    Not enough time Next time tho

Beautiful pictures! I just want to reach out and pet that bird! My father was a wonderful photographer...and I had forgotten how lovely some pictures can be. Thank you for the most pleasant reminder!
    Mystical Folding Minx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTynker2 View Post
    Beautiful pictures! I just want to reach out and pet that bird! My father was a wonderful photographer...and I had forgotten how lovely some pictures can be. Thank you for the most pleasant reminder!
    Thanks for the compliment I've found that I'm really enjoying shooting pictures more and more as I get more proficient with it. Last week provided me with an amazing assortment of varied subjects to take pictures with, so as I get them processed, I'll be posting more up later