Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full decriminalization of drugs is successful

Full decriminalization of drugs is successful

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwa...gal/index.html

In Portugal.

And we're not talking just pot.....everything. Evidently they have the data that supports their decision to decriminalize drugs.

IMO, I think it's time for a new approach in America.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Decriminalization would be great on so many levels for us.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Decrimina;ization would be great on so many levels for us.
    i know i would vote for it.

edit: at least the sticky icky.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Yes, and while we're at it, let's have a look at how the mj criminalization came to be in the first place...
    ex-WoW-addict

IMO, going the whole 9 yards in terms of substances is kind of pushing it (let's face it, there are many drugs which are clear and insidious corruptors), but as a principal, i am 100% behind it. the very idea of people being incarcerated and branded "criminal" for their possesion and/or usage is to me, appaling. the crimes committed as a result are what needs to be the focus of the law (obviously). treatment is what should be at an addict's disposal, not the sharp end of the penal system.

tax 'em like there's no tomorrow, and use the proceeds to our society's benefit.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Well, the feds just said they are not going to go after Medical Marijuana outlets any more here in California. I think that's an incredible step forward.

Blog Entries
    Marijuana should have been legalized a long time ago.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Marijuana should have been legalized a long time ago.
    maybe in the privacy of your home but you need a way to test the levels in your system like alcohol or you will have people hit a bong and then run off to work doing who knows what. You'd still have to have rules in place for its sale and use much like alcohol is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    You'd still have to have rules in place for its sale and use much like alcohol is done.
    Yup

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    maybe in the privacy of your home but you need a way to test the levels in your system like alcohol or you will have people hit a bong and then run off to work doing who knows what. You'd still have to have rules in place for its sale and use much like alcohol is done.
    I am in agreement. Expect quite a bit of home grown to avoid taxation.

Hell_Yes

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

The reason drugs have not been decriminalized is because there's too much profit in the illegality of it.

You think the powers that be really want smaller prison populations, an efficient justice system, smaller police depts, a saner public & more? Ha! The illegal drug market & its subsidiaries probably rake in more annually than our entire national debt.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    The reason drugs have not been decriminalized is because there's too much profit in the illegality of it.

You think the powers that be really want smaller prison populations, an efficient justice system, smaller police depts, a saner public & more? Ha! The illegal drug market & its subsidiaries probably rake in more annually than our entire national debt.

Amen, brother.

the number of jobs created by it's illegal status alone is notable. add on top the ancillary bodies who reap profit (re: private businesses running corrections facilities and the resulting prison industry from both private and public/gov't groups) also are typically more politically connected and influential as compared to the more "liberal lifestyle" types. broad generalization i admit, but also logical.

- Leo Szilard

The situation along the Mexican border is reason enough to do it, as is the prison system; not to mention the need for tax revenue but I still don't think it will happen.
    Feelings about religion: I believe in a dogma-free personal Prime Mover.

I am in agreement. Expect quite a bit of home grown to avoid taxation.
    Well let me be clear that I'm one of that 58% of people in this country (the majority) that think it should remain illegal. But if you do at some time make it legal to grow then you can't allow the home grown amounts much like your "home grown" alcohol or grain is made which is illegal without a license and being a certain amount. You can go so many many different ways with this.

And as others have said making it legal would likely hurt more jobs than it would create so its a brain storm that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    ...and influential as compared to the more "liberal lifestyle" types. broad generalization i admit, but also logical.

on 2nd reading that may have come off as pompous. i would consider myself of the liberal lifestyle, so no attempt to devalue was intended (although the terms "liberal" and "lifestyle" used in sequence have kind of a stigma, lets get one thing straight... i like boobies).

- Leo Szilard

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Just like alcohol with prohibition? It would stand probable that the invisible puppeteers prefer a passive, stoned flock. It remains a moral, if not racist issue.

Hell_Yes

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The reason drugs have not been decriminalized is because there's too much profit in the illegality of it. The illegal drug market & its subsidiaries probably rake in more annually than our entire national debt.
    What about if it's taxed?

http://www.drugscience.org/Archive/bcr2/cashcrops.html

From the above link...granted a couple of years old, but the scope is most likely still valid.

"At an estimated $35.8 billion marijuana is by far the largest cash crop in the United States when compared to the average production values of other crops from 2003 to 2005....

...marijuana is the top cash crop in 12 states, one of the top 3 cash crops in 30 states, and one of the top 5 cash crops in 39 states. Marijuana is the largest cash crop in Alaska, Alabama, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia."
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The US would go through some growing pains if it were legalized. It would likely go through a period of crazy misuse at first...until the novelty sort of wears off.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    The US would go through some growing pains if it were legalized. It would likely go through a period of crazy misuse at first...until the novelty sort of wears off.
    The "pot" bubble!

Hell_Yes

Just like alcohol with prohibition? It would stand probable that the invisible puppeteers prefer a passive, stoned flock. It remains a moral, if not racist issue.
    Similar to alcohol & prohibition, except I am referring to all illegal drugs, not just pot. And definitely is racial, the same way the British suppressed the Chinese & Indians w/ opium. Originally, drugs were confined to the poorer environments and minority zones, intentionally so as to keep "that" population discouraged and at bay. In the 1950's, illegal drugs began to spread out as it was incorporated as a communist cold war tactic, destroy the enemy from within. It worked.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH