Thread: Supercharger opinions

Supercharger opinions

likes/dislikes. has anyone had a bonny with supercharger?

00 bonneville ssei
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Blog Entries
    http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...nneville-2.htm

The only thing that came immediately to mind, there was not enough boost to warrant the additional cost and complexity with the supercharged model.

Moving to automotive forum... leaving a redirect.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

I have the ATI ProCharger D1SC centrifugal supercharger. It makes a very distinct sound. Additionally, the power grows as the impeller speeds up to 50,000 to 60,000 RPM.

(Hi David)
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...nneville-2.htm

The only thing that came immediately to mind, there was not enough boost to warrant the additional cost and complexity with the supercharged model.

Moving to automotive forum... leaving a redirect.
    thanks David, i forgot about this area.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    I have the ATI ProCharger D1SC centrifugal supercharger. It makes a very distinct sound. Additionally, the power grows as the impeller speeds up to 50,000 to 60,000 RPM.

(Hi David)
    I do not recall what unit was place in the Poncho, but it only gave about 30 or so bhp over the naturally aspirated model. A bit of exhaust tuning could probably done the same.

I do like the styling of the Bonneville. It also handles fairly well for a large American car. Since it is an iron block, it might not do too much harm to coax a bit more pressure from the supercharger.

Hell_Yes

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Spent quite a bit of time in a friends...to me, it seemed like "is there really a supercharger in there?"

Yet someone I worked with a few years ago had 2x other similar cars....a Buick with the supercharged V6 that seemed quicker (probably a lighter car), and the Olds Aurora with the northstar V8. Man..did THAT car have some serious nut! I loved driving that car. They stuck that engine in a Bonneville GXP trim and it hauled too.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I do not recall what unit was place in the Poncho, but it only gave about 30 or so bhp over the naturally aspirated model. A bit of exhaust tuning could probably done the same.
    My Mustang stock was 260 HP and 302 Torque. After the supercharger (10 lbs of boost), bassani exhaust, new fuel system, 3 core intercooler, etc... I get 410 HP at the wheels and 420 torque at the wheels. You can get more boost from the ATI, but I don't want to blow the engine.

People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

thanks for the info guys. i definitely would hate to pay extra for it in insurance etc... if it was not worth it. i guess i will get into her from a stop and then from already rolling to see what it is about.

thanks again.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    thanks for the info guys. i definitely would hate to pay extra for it in insurance etc... if it was not worth it. i guess i will get into her from a stop and then from already rolling to see what it is about.

thanks again.
    Good point. Chipping might give you the boost without the insurance being any wiser.
    http://www.performancechipsdirect.co...ac/Bonneville/

Hell_Yes

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    bassani exhaust,
    A good exhaust system is always a promising little boost in performance...esp in bottom end (where most of it counts). An added perc...a hair in better mileage too. Several of my vehicles in the past enjoyed all new from the manifolds back..a good header system, and smooth pipes back to the rear. Nice subdued deep throaty sound.

Due to initial high cost in price..it's something that makes more sense to do on a new-ish vehicle..say, something with less than 50k miles on it..so you can enjoy it for several years.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

superchargers works better on AT transmissions