Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If AIG execs want their bonuses, let them receive it before Congress, live on TV

If AIG execs want their bonuses, let them receive it before Congress, live on TV

I say, put the money right up there on Nancy Pelosi's lap, and allow these criminals to walk up there...one by one, and get their money. Televise the whole damn stinking thing during primetime. At least we'll all know who got the money. Any unclaimed money should go directly to food banks to help kids in poverty.

Anyone disagree and think this should all be private and out of the public's eye?

Be happy I'm not calling for their suicide.
    http://content.usatoday.net/dist/cus...30364101.story

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    I am.

We need to give bonuses to retain high quality people.
    Really?!?!?!?! The same people that ran the company into the ground? Give me a brake!!!!!
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Amen Jawz!
    Feelings about religion: I believe in a dogma-free personal Prime Mover.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Give me a brake!!!!!
    Disk or drum?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Disk or drum?
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    I say, put the money right up there on Nancy Pelosi's lap, and allow these criminals to walk up there...one by one, and get their money. Televise the whole damn stinking thing during primetime. At least we'll all know who got the money. Any unclaimed money should go directly to food banks to help kids in poverty.

Anyone disagree and think this should all be private and out of the public's eye?

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/cus...30364101.story
    Not much they can do, The Feds are majority owners and could try and block it. Why these people were not fired to begin with is crazy. They get bonuses for making money and nothing for losing money, where do I sign up?

I heard last night that they have four "image firms" trying to spin this positive.
    Now, Hank, touch your throat. That tube you feel is your trachea. Think of it as your handle. That thing your thumb is on is your carotid artery. Think of it as your button. I want you to grab the handle, push the button.
    -Brock Samson

I've heard all the arguments for both sides i.e. legal contracts etc but I try and put it in terms of where I work (small trucking company). If I had been offered some sort of tiered bonus dependingon how I ran my department and then the company had to accept outside cash to stay afloat (government or otherwise) I know I would have to write off the bonus for that year. Especially if my actions had been found out to have brought the company to it's knees.

Sounds good, but it would never happen.

Disk or drum?
    LOL

Jake...

Blog Entries
    Disk or drum?
    Anchor.... with chain..... cervical shackle.... 120ft depth of New England chilled ocean water.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I've heard all the arguments for both sides i.e. legal contracts etc but I try and put it in terms of where I work (small trucking company). If I had been offered some sort of tiered bonus dependingon how I ran my department and then the company had to accept outside cash to stay afloat (government or otherwise) I know I would have to write off the bonus for that year. Especially if my actions had been found out to have brought the company to it's knees.
    Like the union contracts that are "destroying" the auto industry.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

I actually agree with you 100% on this one Jawz.

News update:

AIG execs got bonuses and left, official says
    So much for AIG saying: "We need to give bonuses to retain high quality people".
    Last edited by MadDoctor; 03-17-09 at 03:15 PM.

Troubled insurance giant American International Group paid bonuses of $1 million or more to 73 employees, including 11 who no longer work for the company, New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

President Barack Obama and Washington lawmakers have blasted AIG for paying more than $160 million in bonuses to employees of its Financial Products division, the unit primarily responsible for the meltdown that led to a federal bailout of the company, while the company has received billions in taxpayer bailout funds.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Looks like they may not get out of this. If so, get congress to hurry and pass a law that any bonus over 10K or so, get a 60 to 70 percent tax hike on.

That should send a message.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Looks like they may not get out of this. If so, get congress to hurry and pass a law that any bonus over 10K or so, get a 60 to 70 percent tax hike on.

That should send a message.
    Sweet!!!!

Make them pump their own gas and they would probably fail.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Corporate compensation packages rely heavily on bonus payouts, not always tied to company performance. The lump sum payment is a way of deferring salary in a great many cases. Though not on the same scale, my standard of living is reliant on this year end check.

Those calling for their cancellation, should also be for sharply reducing benefits and pay to Union employees of aided companies.

Another example - should these companies also not contribute to their employees 401k plan now? After all, it's just "bonus" money, right?
    When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoNut View Post
    Corporate compensation packages rely heavily on bonus payouts, not always tied to company performance. The lump sum payment is a way of deferring salary in a great many cases. Though not on the same scale, my standard of living is reliant on this year end check.
    If corporations don't change the way they operate (rely heavily on bonus payouts not tied to performance) then they are going to get "operation policy" from the government.

That said... it makes me sick that Congress wants automatic salary increases every year without debate or input from the public. These are the same slobs who should consider themselves employees of the people where salary is based on performance. In many cases, some Congressmen would "owe" people money at the end of the year for the sloppy jobs they do.