Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Using WiFi Router As WAP?

  1. #1
    (PeteCresswell)
    Guest

    Using WiFi Router As WAP?

    I've got a LinkSys WRT310N gigabit wireless router unused.

    I've also got a major dead spot in the living room of our house.

    Two questions:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    1) Is there some way to configure this thing so it's just
    another WAP? I'd run Ethernet to the living room,
    then plug the WRT301N into said Ethernet.

    I've already got a wireless network working out of
    my D-Link DIR-655 gigabit wireless router.

    The existing wireless network's SSID is "Hui_Nalu" and
    it uses WPA encryption.


    2) If I'm able to set up the WRT310N as another WAP,
    can I do it in such a way that it's on the same SSID
    with the same WPA key? The idea being tb able to
    seamlessly connect with a given handheld or laptop
    anywhere in the house and maybe even walk from
    one WAP's coverage into the other's without losing
    connectivity.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    --
    PeteCresswell

  2. #2
    (PeteCresswell)
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?

    Per (PeteCresswell):
    >1) Is there some way to configure this thing so it's just
    > another WAP?


    Sorry, that first question was dumb: turn off DHCP and assign it
    an IP address within the router's pool. Already addressed in
    somebody's reply to one of my other posts.

    But the second questions still stands.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  3. #3
    Sooner Al [MVP]
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?

    Use the same SSID and encryption type and key. Do use a different channel on
    each device, ie. 1 and 6 for example or 1 and 11.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights...
    The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com



    "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

    > Per (PeteCresswell):
    > >1) Is there some way to configure this thing so it's just
    > > another WAP?

    >
    > Sorry, that first question was dumb: turn off DHCP and assign it
    > an IP address within the router's pool. Already addressed in
    > somebody's reply to one of my other posts.
    >
    > But the second questions still stands.
    > --
    > PeteCresswell
    >


  4. #4
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?

    Hi
    Configure it like this. Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access
    Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Choose the Wireless parameters as Al posted above.
    Beware that in most cases no matter what you do you would Not get seamless
    Wireless service when using Entry Level Wireless hardware.
    Many times it get stuck with the initial logon and would stay with it until
    the signal totally gone.
    I.e. if you walk around and the second signal become stronger than the first
    it would stay with the first weak signal.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid> wrote in message
    news:hti0q4p09gt59k2lha40jlcvncs6s61ul8@4ax.com...
    > I've got a LinkSys WRT310N gigabit wireless router unused.
    >
    > I've also got a major dead spot in the living room of our house.
    >
    > Two questions:
    > --------------------------------------------------------------
    > 1) Is there some way to configure this thing so it's just
    > another WAP? I'd run Ethernet to the living room,
    > then plug the WRT301N into said Ethernet.
    >
    > I've already got a wireless network working out of
    > my D-Link DIR-655 gigabit wireless router.
    >
    > The existing wireless network's SSID is "Hui_Nalu" and
    > it uses WPA encryption.
    >
    >
    > 2) If I'm able to set up the WRT310N as another WAP,
    > can I do it in such a way that it's on the same SSID
    > with the same WPA key? The idea being tb able to
    > seamlessly connect with a given handheld or laptop
    > anywhere in the house and maybe even walk from
    > one WAP's coverage into the other's without losing
    > connectivity.
    > ----------------------------------------------------------
    > --
    > PeteCresswell



  5. #5
    James Egan
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?


    On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:50:41 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid>
    wrote:

    >1) Is there some way to configure this thing so it's just
    > another WAP? I'd run Ethernet to the living room,
    > then plug the WRT301N into said Ethernet.
    >
    > I've already got a wireless network working out of
    > my D-Link DIR-655 gigabit wireless router.
    >
    > The existing wireless network's SSID is "Hui_Nalu" and
    > it uses WPA encryption.
    >
    >


    I don't know with the Linksys firmware but you certainly can if you
    install the dd-wrt firmware

    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...s_Access_Point


    Jim.


  6. #6
    deerslayer
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > Configure it like this. Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an
    > Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html



    Useless drivel. No worthy technical information at all and filled with
    grammatical errors as well.



  7. #7
    Barb Bowman
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?

    I don't usually respond to flames, but I'm breaking this rule

    1. thousands of people have been helped by the content
    2. how do you know that English is Jack's first/native language?
    3. take a good look at
    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Jack and then do a Google
    search.

    On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 17:21:52 -0500, "deerslayer" <ds@noemail.com>
    wrote:

    >Useless drivel. No worthy technical information at all and filled with
    >grammatical errors as well.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  8. #8
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > I don't usually respond to flames, but I'm breaking this rule
    >
    > 1. thousands of people have been helped by the content
    > 2. how do you know that English is Jack's first/native language?


    Content looked perfectly OK to me.....


    --
    Asking a question?
    Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
    your OS, Service Pack level
    and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

  9. #9
    James Egan
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?


    On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:35:36 +0000, Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Barb Bowman wrote:
    >> I don't usually respond to flames, but I'm breaking this rule
    >>
    >> 1. thousands of people have been helped by the content
    >> 2. how do you know that English is Jack's first/native language?

    >
    >Content looked perfectly OK to me.....


    There's nothing wrong with the content on the page . However, the page
    is about adding a wireless functionality to a network rather than
    adding a second access point to an already wireless network which is
    the issue at hand.


    Jim.


  10. #10
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?

    James Egan wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:35:36 +0000, Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Barb Bowman wrote:
    >>> I don't usually respond to flames, but I'm breaking this rule
    >>>
    >>> 1. thousands of people have been helped by the content
    >>> 2. how do you know that English is Jack's first/native language?

    >> Content looked perfectly OK to me.....

    >
    > There's nothing wrong with the content on the page . However, the page
    > is about adding a wireless functionality to a network rather than
    > adding a second access point to an already wireless network which is
    > the issue at hand.
    >
    >
    > Jim.
    >


    So extrapolate.

    --
    Asking a question?
    Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
    your OS, Service Pack level
    and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

  11. #11
    James Egan
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?


    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 08:12:10 +0000, Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote:

    >So extrapolate.


    Not possible. How are you supposed to decide whether or not to use the
    same SSID/encryption and the same or different channels based on
    information about how to build a single wireless access point into a
    wired network?

    It may be on the website somewhere but it's not that page.



    Jim.


  12. #12
    James Egan
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?


    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 08:50:06 +0000, James Egan <jegan@jegan.com>
    wrote:

    >Not possible. How are you supposed to decide whether or not to use the
    >same SSID/encryption and the same or different channels based on
    >information about how to build a single wireless access point into a
    >wired network?


    Okay. I see that this missing info was posted higher up in the thread
    and snipped out. Please disregard and apologies to Mr Jack if he feels
    one is due.


    Jim.


  13. #13
    Barb Bowman
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?

    at a 50,000 foot level

    1. wireless roaming - add another device as a repeater, same SSID,
    same encryption, different channel. must be hard wired in to
    network. if the second device is a router, it needs to be configured
    as a WAP which usually means turning off DHCP and NAT.

    2. wireless repeater via WDS. same channel, same SSID, same
    encryption. halves the signal as it repeats in both directions. if
    the second device is a router, it needs to be configured as a WAP
    which usually means turning off DHCP and NAT. probably won't work
    between a D-Link and a Linksys because there are different chipsets
    in the radios.


    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 04:56:56 +0000, James Egan <jegan@jegan.com>
    wrote:

    >There's nothing wrong with the content on the page . However, the page
    >is about adding a wireless functionality to a network rather than
    >adding a second access point to an already wireless network which is
    >the issue at hand.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  14. #14
    James Egan
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?


    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 05:26:23 -0500, Barb Bowman <barb@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >2. wireless repeater via WDS. same channel, same SSID, same
    >encryption. halves the signal as it repeats in both directions. if
    >the second device is a router, it needs to be configured as a WAP
    >which usually means turning off DHCP and NAT. probably won't work
    >between a D-Link and a Linksys because there are different chipsets
    >in the radios.


    This is similar to the setup I use myself with a netgear dg834gt
    (dgteam firmware) and linksys wrt54g (dd-wrt firmware) which works
    okay. Are you saying that this only works because they both use
    broadcom chipsets or did you mean something else specifically to do
    with the radio?


    Jim.


  15. #15
    Barb Bowman
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?

    yes, indeed - same chipset = should work.

    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 12:32:04 +0000, James Egan <jegan@jegan.com>
    wrote:

    >Are you saying that this only works because they both use
    >broadcom chipsets or did you mean something else specifically to do
    >with the radio?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  16. #16
    James Egan
    Guest

    Re: Using WiFi Router As WAP?


    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 10:13:15 -0500, Barb Bowman <barb@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >yes, indeed - same chipset = should work.
    >


    Thanks. I'll bear that in mind when considering a replacement should
    one of them fail.


    Jim.


Similar Threads

  1. Comcast modem and which WIFI Router
    By hgiljr in forum Wireless Networks & Routers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-09, 06:21 PM
  2. Re: shareing folder thru' lan cable to wifi router to another computer
    By Jack \(MVP-Networking\). in forum ms.public.windows.networking.wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-08, 09:59 AM
  3. Re: shareing folder thru' lan cable to wifi router to another computer
    By James Egan in forum ms.public.windows.networking.wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-08, 05:09 AM
  4. trouble with Linksys WRT54G v2 wifi router
    By combatwombat in forum Wireless Networks & Routers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-21-08, 08:47 AM
  5. Having Trouble with Wireless Router
    By purecomedy in forum Wireless Networks & Routers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-08, 10:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •