Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tents, camping supplies...

Question Tents, camping supplies...

Anyone like to go camping? My son wants to go and I haven't been actually camping in years. I am looking for some good tent reviews, recommendations, etc...

Also, perhaps a lists of items to not forget. I am thinking stove, misc. lighting, air mattresses, sleeping bags, coolers, dry storage locker, 5 gal bucket for "the can", bug spray, chairs... No doubt I am forgetting stuff on this hastily written list!

Anything to add? Any recommendations of particular makes/models, etc...

TIA!

a couple air mattresses with a batt pump is a must.

a solar heated camp shower is also a must,this http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...tegoryid=28150 plus a basic blue tarp for privacy works great !

here is a good source for stuff sometimes http://www.coleman.com/coleman/home.asp

and don't forget a bucket & shovel & fire permit,

and some rope to hang your food,I hang my food up in the air.

bug spray for your body

a hammer and steel tent stakes,(forget the plastic ones)
    Last edited by Dan; 02-23-09 at 06:23 PM.

Pump for the mattresses obviously

I usually just get a cheap tent and replace it every year (or until I break a pole)

Not sure where you are going but sometimes a couple shallow tubs are handy for doing dishes. Also a clear box for cooking stuff helps to cut down the digging around for stuff

Ziplocs, can opener (so used to having them it is amazing how often they are forgotten), and tarps.

I like putting an extra tarp under the tent, just make sure it is tucked under it so if it rains it does not turn into a catchment

Try and find something that works on no-see-ums. They drove me absolutely insane when we camped in the everglades

If there is no water nearby bring more water then you think you will need (I prefer the one gallons with a screw top)

T.P. even if you are going to a campground. A lot of the time they are out

If you are going to use a bucket instead of digging a hole, put a scoop or two of ashes, saw dust, or lye in after each "use"

Lighter, maybe two
    Last edited by De Plano; 02-23-09 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

a solar heated camp shower is also a must,this http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...tegoryid=28150 plus a basic blue tarp for privacy works great !

here is a good source for stuff sometimes http://www.coleman.com/coleman/home.asp

and don't forget a bucket & shovel & fire permit,

and some rope to hang your food,I hang my food up in the air.

bug spray for your body

a hammer and steel tent stakes,(forget the plastic ones)
    I'm one for wanting all that good stuff too ..but you need to explain to me how that is "Camping"?? When I was growing up camping was roughing it with a sleeping bag under the stars and a camp fire. We hunted for our food, fire wood, and logs or rocks to sit on. I can understand perhaps even adding a tent into the mix since they have been used for a very long time too..but heated shower?

My suggestion Ken is to take the very least you need to do it and have your kid learn from your surroundings... fish and hunt for your food, attempt at starting the fire with the rubbing of sticks etc.. they teach all this in boy scouts which I learned when I was in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I'm one for wanting all that good stuff too ..but you need to explain to me how that is "Camping"?? When I was growing up camping was roughing it with a sleeping bag under the stars and a camp fire. We hunted for our food, fire wood, and logs or rocks to sit on. I can understand perhaps even adding a tent into the mix since they have been used for a very long time too..but heated shower?

are you freakin kidding ?!

LOL I still like my comforts ,like NOT SMELLING ! like a warm water shower,

and sleeping good,

I will bring my own firewood and bbq charcoal !

and I like to eat what I want,and that doesn't include "hunting" for my food LOL I will bring my own food,HAPPILY !

you might want to consider that most family camping areas don't allow gun fire and hunting.

you go ahead and do it your way,and I will happily do it my way

and no,I didn't "need" to explain,

. fish and hunt for your food, attempt at starting the fire with the rubbing of sticks etc...

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Going to a campground, or out deep in the wild? The answer to this will sway what you'll need to bring.

Tent
    Tarps to put both under the tent (helps keeps moisture from coming up into the tent from the ground), as well as if it rains..need another for over the top of the tent.
    How long are you going for? Food stuffs. Think about food that lasts well out of the fridge and in open air.
    Cooking pots 'n pans, utensils, plastic plates.
    Resealable containers for your food.
    Cooler chest
    Supplies to wash your pots 'n pans, plates, plastic ware
    Your basic bathroom kit 'n towels for the shower if you're hitting campgrounds
    Basic clothing, double up on socks.
    Hatchet
    Plenty of fire sources for your campfire
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

oh ! and don't forget my propane dual burner camp stove as well as my smoker/bbq and lighter fluid and all my spices and kitchen utensils !and my BIC lighter and waterproof matches,and portable DVD player ! and cell phone and gps and weather radio,and tent light and camp area lights,and laptop !

AND folding camp chairs ansd 10X10 carpet for in front of the tent ! and a broom and dustpan ! and extra trash bags,and bottled water ! and a huge ice chest with PLENTY of cold beer !

and my dog's bed !

and a nice fat tri-tip and a couple rib-eyes !
    Last edited by Dan; 02-23-09 at 06:57 PM.

are you freakin kidding ?!

LOL I still like my comforts ,like NOT SMELLING ! like a warm water shower,

and sleeping good,

I will bring my own firewood and bbq charcoal !

and I like to eat what I want,and that doesn't include "hunting" for my food LOL I will bring my own food,HAPPILY !

you might want to consider that most family camping areas don't allow gun fire and hunting.

you go ahead and do it your way,and I will happily do it my way

and no,I didn't "need" to explain,

well I was being serious.. I've done this when I was younger and its really fun. But I wasn't suggesting going to a "family camping area" either.. when I've camped its usually on top of a mountain near a lake or stream where there is national forest so you can hunt.. fish for trout. Have more fun than playing with your solar hookups... I've also slept very well after a nice evening around a camp fire I helped setup, start and watching the stars over our heads

Have more fun than playing with your solar hookups...D
    the "solar hook up" shower is just a black plastic bag ! LOL

oh ! and don't forget my propane dual burner camp stove as well as my smoker/bbq and lighter fluid and all my spices and kitchen utensils !and my BIC lighter and waterproof matches,and portable DVD player ! and cell phone and gps and weather radio,and tent light and camp area lights,and laptop !

AND folding camp chairs ansd 10X10 carpet for in front of the tent ! and a broom and dustpan ! and extra trash bags,and bottled water ! and a huge ice chest with PLENTY of cold beer !

and my dog's bed !

and a nice fat tri-tip and a couple rib-eyes !
    oh my... don't forget your several mile extension cord so you can plug in your tv!

but I will agree with one thing on that list.. cold beer. Put it in the cold creek!

"Hunting" for food? Seriously? You mean berries and such?

On topic, if there's an REI near you, go with one of their house brand tents. I have a backpacking size and a monster car camping model; I use what's appropriate based on where and whom I'm going with. Both are bombproof. They also have a good website, with product reviews.

Stove - again I have a small backcountry unit and a two burner propane stove. Almost all gear you get will depend on whether you're carrying stuff on your back or not.

If it's car camping you're into, then by all means get big stuff that will approximate the comforts of home. Costco has some good stuff they stock in the spring.
    When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?

Just take this...

http://www.amazon.com/US-Army-Surviv.../dp/0967512395

...and nothing else.

Good luck.

(I own a very old tent and some crappy sleeping bags. I know nothing.)

You need a good lantern. Get one of the old ones that you have to fill with coleman fuel and pump the heck out of it. Old skool.

Those new ones with batteries are for sissies.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

A good knife.

And maybe a gun. I don't know what type of wild life you have, but back in Montana it's nice to have a gun around.

If you are going to hike a map of the surrounding area might be helpful (and a compass)

If your gonna fish then fishing stuff.

A cell phone of course.
    First aid kit and book.

Marshmallows and hot dogs.

Extra socks and rain gear. (like a poncho)

Are you going to a public campgorund or just hiking off in the wild?
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 02-23-09 at 11:15 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

A whistle so you can save your breath when you get lost. Read a good book on First Aid and carry a well stocked kit. Learn to identify poison Oak/Ivy. A sharp knife. Matches/Lighter.

went camping this last summer. forgot a pump. genius kicked in. Started my truck. Put fill hole on my exhaust, Had my brother rev the engine. Filled that bad boy up with deadly gas in 10 seconds

Good thing it didn't leak. would have been dead. But it was just me and my girl in a 12x14 tent. left the bottom of the 2 doors open and the screen closed just in case so if it leaked the gas would spill out. ( heavier than air right?)

http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Checklists.htm

Don't forget the Feminine products!
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Anyone like to go camping? My son wants to go and I haven't been actually camping in years. I am looking for some good tent reviews, recommendations, etc...

Also, perhaps a lists of items to not forget. I am thinking stove, misc. lighting, air mattresses, sleeping bags, coolers, dry storage locker, 5 gal bucket for "the can", bug spray, chairs... No doubt I am forgetting stuff on this hastily written list!

Anything to add? Any recommendations of particular makes/models, etc...

TIA!
    don't forget the right clothing, http://www.dc-enterprises.com/viewit...ory=Campshirts

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates