Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Excellent Pro-Life video - Imagine (NBC rejected Superbowl vid)

Excellent Pro-Life video - Imagine (NBC rejected Superbowl vid)

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Powerful stuff.

Seems a little shallow to me. It's all well and good to be pro-choice/life, but you'd think that it should be more in depth then think of the potential.

I mean think of the potential is also a pro-choice argument.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

What I love about it is that it's anti-establishment. In my old age, I'm finding that I'm more pro-life but more anti-government intervention.

...Riiight. If I had any movie editing skills, it would be so easy to edit in Hitler instead of Obama and have the exact same message.

You don't make major life altering decisions on the basis of "Well, this could happen." That's insanity. You make major life altering decisions after long thought, planning, and finally a decision where the outcome is almost certain. And you certainly don't consider a clump of cells when you do!

"Clump of cells"

the disregard for human life is frightening these days

If you want the right to kill babies, I want the right to kill adults that kill those babies
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    "Clump of cells"

If you want the right to kill babies, I want the right to kill adults that kill those babies
    If you get the right to kill those adults I want the right to kill American Idol contestants.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    If you get the right to kill those adults I want the right to kill American Idol contestants.
    except for bikini girl...she was hot

Never mind, don't want to insult folks beliefs

I do agree if you are going to think of potential, you may as well put Dahmer in there also
    Last edited by De Plano; 02-07-09 at 11:31 AM.

Brent, in your opinion at what point does the transition from clump of cells to baby occur?

Is there a point in time that an abortion would be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Paft View Post
    You make major life altering decisions after long thought, planning, and finally a decision where the outcome is almost certain. And you certainly don't consider a clump of cells when you do!
    Those actions never seem to enter the minds of the promiscuous until it becomes a "life-altering" decision. Whose life it alters or ends is a decision that will last forever. Throwing out morality and good decision making might make folks feel less guilty, but no less accountable.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Quote Originally Posted by De Plano View Post

I do agree if you are going to think of potential, you may as well put Dahmer in there also

I don't follow the rationalization of abortion with potentially abhorrent behavior. We can't predict bad behavior yet. If you say we can't predict good behavior, then are we all bad but constrained by morality to act good? This brings up the entire are we all inherently good or evil debate.

there are many tests that are performed on fetuses to detect abnormalities. What happens when we get to the point where other abnormal traits/behaviors can be predicted? For example, homosexuality. Do we cleanse the gene pool of those traits through abortion? The top 5 serial killers were all homosexuals...and most serial killers in general were homosexual/bisexual/lesbians. So I don't understand why the homosexual community would rationalize the debate over potentially bad bahavior. Logically it works against them...especially when there are homosexual Catholics.

Potential is the key word here. Does potential speak to behavior or achievement? Do we live in fear of potential of do we live in anticipation of and work towards achievement?

Again, what I love about this video is that it causes great debate....on our level. I will fight to the death to defend your right to have your own beliefs. I do not believe in granting this right to the government. I can easily defend your rights, your right to live, your right to die, your right to have an abortion, your right to be a homosexual and to marry.....but I don't have to agree with your beliefs.

IMO, abortion is not a function of government.

Is that a reasonable approach to the matter?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by De Plano View Post

The premise being that no situation is so hopeless that abortion is justifiable.

Not that I share the perspective, but it is quite understandable.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    "Clump of cells"

You got that right. This country's morals are so screw up its not even funny...

****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoPColtrane View Post

Same unanswered question I asked Brent, is there a point at which an abortion is ok? How about the day-after pill?

Not arguing, it's a serious question.

Or a difference of when we consider the fetus a person.

Cybernetic Interloper ub3r_n00b's Avatar
    The choice should be there for women (and it should not be the role of the government to intervene), but just because it is there doesn't mean you should have to exercise it. I think people are attacking it from the wrong angle. If you don't believe in abortion, then simply don't have one if you are in that situation - that is the best form of protest. Silent and effective. Education is the key.

Yes, ok, the fetus is a human (or whatever the hell your argument is) but at least by allowing these facilities to be open you are allowing it to be done safely instead of having someone come to your house and do it black market style. Removing the facilities will not stop abortion, it will just make it more dangerous and profitable. If you need examples of how government regulation generally doesn't work, look at the drug market, prohibition, guns, etc.

Additionally, from a male perspective, I realize that I am not a woman and I do not understand what they would be going through in that situation - so, personally, I should not be able to make that decision for them. Yes, men are a part of the equation, but the baby is inside of the woman, the woman gives birth, etc. So, as a male, all you can do is strongly disagree with their choice if they choose to have one and state that you will support her and the child, but, if she elects to have the abortion, that is NOT in your domain.

Finally, use a condom, problem will not happen.
    www.erudianart.com

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r_n00b View Post
    The choice should be there for women (and it should not be the role of the government to intervene), but just because it is there doesn't mean you should have to exercise it.
    EXACTLY!!!!

Holy ****, someone who understands the ENTIRE POINT of the pro-CHOICE movement! It's not "pro-baby-killing" for crissakes! It's pro-CHOICE! Giving women, the ONLY SENTIENT BEINGS involved in the equation, the right to CHOOSE their own path. Be it giving birth and raising the child, adopting the child out, or removing the clump of cells / fetus from her body before it is born and BECOMES a child.

"Clump of cells"

Pro-choice isn't giving anyone the "right to kill babies". It's the right to have the choice of halting the process of development of a fetus BEFORE it becomes a baby/child/infant/what-have-you. That's all that it is.

Right, of course, I forgot - we should go back to the good old days where women could be raped and murdered and nobody would give a **** because they weren't considered citizens. Where women were left forgotten in houses while their husbands ran off and ****ed everything with two legs because that was morally acceptable, and even encouraged. But hey, the dutiful wife couldn't dare have a mind of her own because that would be sinful and against god's will, don't'cha know - the man is the head of the household, right?

You and everyone who believes like you are the entire reason that women's liberation and women's rights had to be fought for so damn hard, and still do! You and your ilk, the good ol' boys club, treat women like **** and feel like that's ok to do!

Get the **** out of my country.