Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Warner Cable to expand bandwidth caps, 40GB per month

Time Warner Cable to expand bandwidth caps, 40GB per month

wow... here we go. I'm sure the rest will follow. 40Gigs I've hit a few times in the last year. Comcast with 250 was bad enough but decent and life goes on.

TWC will be expanding its test of bandwidth caps to more cities in the coming weeks. Beaumont, Texas was the testing ground for TWC and has decided that its 40 GB caps for internet usage worked so well that they would expand the trials to other cities.

The new locations have not yet been announced but the unthinkably low 40GB cap may upset hundreds of thousands of users as streaming video services like Netflix, Hulu and YouTube could easily put you over that barrier with moderate usage, especially if it were HD material.

Alley Insider points out that TWC is not targeting a specific group like Comcast did with its 250 GB monthly cap but is going after moderate users as well. This new cap may also point to a new revenue model where overages could be charged to users or force them to upgrade their service.

This new limitation has a much more tangible impact than Comcast's 250 GB cap which targeted only the heaviest of users. Think of this scenario, a typical family of four with a son who likes to game on Xbox Live, a daughter who chats with friends on a webcam and parents who stream Netflix movies on the weekends; they could easily blow the cap.

TWC will be walking on very thin ice when it implements these new caps to users. It may face a backlash of consumers who leave TWC behind when they get their first bill showing data overages.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...40gb-per-month

I wonder how much I use per month? Anyone know of a good free app that will monitor the gateway traffic? I got three xbox 360's and a lot of computers so it will be hard to monitor. Of course I have business class so it should not matter, but I am still curious.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joecool169 View Post
    I wonder how much I use per month? Anyone know of a good free app that will monitor the gateway traffic? I got three xbox 360's and a lot of computers so it will be hard to monitor. Of course I have business class so it should not matter, but I am still curious.
    DDwrt has a bandwidth monitor if you have a compatible router. I can hit 40 a month if I'm catching up on some shows online, downloading some linux distros and other junk.

Comcast made a much smarter choice going with 250 gigs for a cap than one of these 20-40gig a month caps.

250 gigs is more than enough for the current times, 40 gigs is low and 20 gigs is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    DDwrt has a bandwidth monitor if you have a compatible router. I can hit 40 a month if I'm catching up on some shows online, downloading some linux distros and other junk.

Comcast made a much smarter choice going with 250 gigs for a cap than one of these 20-40gig a month caps.

250 gigs is more than enough for the current times, 40 gigs is low and 20 gigs is insane.
    yeah this 40gig cap is stupid.. I can't see how they don't have people complaining. With the way flash media is being offered up, games, patches etc.. you can reach that rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    yeah this 40gig cap is stupid.. I can't see how they don't have people complaining. With the way flash media is being offered up, games, patches etc.. you can reach that rather quickly.
    Gaming alone doesnt use a lot, so if people only game and browse the net casually it may not affect most.

And you're in IT so you know most people don't patch ****! lol

Gaming alone doesnt use a lot, so if people only game and browse the net casually it may not affect most.

And you're in IT so you know most people don't patch ****! lol
    no no not just gaming.. I mean like downloading games from digital downloading places like steam and so on.. you can really rack it up with a 12gig plus game now and thats how big some of these games are. But gamers are die hard for those game patches which is what I mean... I had a kid today complaining about us blocking Warhammer online ports for the update software. You can hit this 40gig mark rather quick and I'm sure some in that test market did and people complained but I guess not enough till they expand it. I hope they really get hit hard by complaints.

no no not just gaming.. I mean like downloading games from digital downloading places like steam and so on.. you can really rack it up with a 12gig plus game now and thats how big some of these games are. But gamers are die hard for those game patches which is what I mean... I had a kid today complaining about us blocking Warhammer online ports for the update software. You can hit this 40gig mark rather quick and I'm sure some in that test market did and people complained but I guess not enough till they expand it. I hope they really get hit hard by complaints.
    Oh sure the hardcore gamer downloading all the extra content and stuff would be affected, or games like you said, but what percentage of users is that? And how many of them pay the bill vs their parents paying the bill?

Maybe Time Warner wants to provide a net service for old people only. lol

http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...etwork/nsl.htm

works great

Oh sure the hardcore gamer downloading all the extra content and stuff would be affected, or games like you said, but what percentage of users is that? And how many of them pay the bill vs their parents paying the bill?

Maybe Time Warner wants to provide a net service for old people only. lol
    You don't have to be a hardcore gamer to enjoy some of the modern games coming out now mostly in digital format like through steam. Add some torrent traffic for the hell of it and those game patches... regular traffic, streaming some movies and tv shows through flash media and you can hit that 40gig max really quick. As I've said I know I've hit the 40gigs a few times in the last year.

Thanks, I got a wrt54g so I will give it a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Used it for years, don't think it can monitor bandwidth at the router though can it?
    Joe

You don't have to be a hardcore gamer to enjoy some of the modern games coming out now mostly in digital format like through steam. Add some torrent traffic for the hell of it and those game patches... regular traffic, streaming some movies and tv shows through flash media and you can hit that 40gig max really quick. As I've said I know I've hit the 40gigs a few times in the last year.
    Casual gamers wont hit the 40gig max.

I watch Leno, Conan, Colbert, and Stewart, minus the musical guests, Burn Notice, and Heroes on hulu, browse the net a good bit, and some casual gaming.

With Downloading the Windows 7 DVD iso, and all the freeware apps I use and had to install on top of all that and the random youtube and liveleak crap Prey IMs me with, I was at 39 megs last month. And I use the net more than the average person, so most customers won't have a problem with that cap.

As far as torrents go, people will have to keep track of their usage no matter what plan they are on or else they could go off the charts with any cap, or else just download, and not allow their torrent app to upload to others.

well i only have played about 6 hrs of cc zero hr on line and i have used 2 gb in 24 hrs other then the nor web serf..no vid stream i am at 2.5 out going and incoming total is 8.4 gb and no i have not dl anything just maps when i dont have the map on zerohr

Quote Originally Posted by horsemen_ View Post
    well i only have played about 6 hrs of cc zero hr on line and i have used 2 gb in 24 hrs other then the nor web serf..no vid stream i am at 2.5 out going and incoming total is 8.4 gb and no i have not dl anything just maps when i dont have the map on zerohr
    You're doing something else cuz those maps are only 150KB to a meg maybe.

You may need to check your comp for any adware or if your wireless is secure or not.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Used it for years, don't think it can monitor bandwidth at the router though can it?
    No, it's good for single PC, but won't measure multiple PCs at once like that.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

With Downloading the Windows 7 DVD iso, and all the freeware apps I use and had to install on top of all that and the random youtube and liveleak crap Prey IMs me with, I was at 39 megs last month.
    "megs?

Danged high usage household here....I think it popped 70 gigs once, quite a few months in the 60 gig range.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    "megs?

Danged high usage household here....I think it popped 70 gigs once, quite a few months in the 60 gig range.
    Gigs!

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    "megs?

When I move at the end of the month, I was going to get time warner for my ISP. I don't think ATT ADSL is in the area. Now.. I'm not sure if I want Time Warner. I can see myself remoting into the company servers, to provide after hour support, and using up that cap very quickly. Oh well.. there is always dial-up.. Got to find my internal modems..

I believe they ran these tests with this cap in a retirement community or something.. cause if they hit the main stream areas that have the avid internet user things would be flyin off the chart beyond 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    When I move at the end of the month, I was going to get time warner for my ISP. I don't think ATT ADSL is in the area. Now.. I'm not sure if I want Time Warner. I can see myself remoting into the company servers, to provide after hour support, and using up that cap very quickly. Oh well.. there is always dial-up.. Got to find my internal modems..
    Is ATT your phone service in the area? Another option could be the ATT Uverse package.

Read this morning that TW is losing customers much like many other companies on the TV viewing since much of it is now viewed online. DishNetwork just raised rates Feb 1st in a big way.... I dropped my package cause it was getting too expensive. These companies need to realize that they can't constantly keep pushing the customer around and expect them to stay with large rate hikes and caps of usage.