Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: I got an iPhone :) (anyone else have one?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Revenant 9mmprincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    out where the lions roar
    Posts
    1,756

    I got an iPhone :) (anyone else have one?)

    And yes, I read in another thread that it takes screenshots when you hit the home button, and no, I don't like that, but it's not going to catch me doing anything illegal, so it's not enough to make me not want my phone. I do hope they fix it though, because it IS an invasion of privacy I think.

    Other than that though... I LOVE this phone. The GPS is so cool - the boy and I were out in a strange part of Oakland and got a bit lost - the GPS fixed that, and we could even pull up a satellite pic of where we were. It was awesome, frankly.

    I've already downloaded quite a lot of apps, both free and paid, including Facebook, Twitter, Touch Hockey, Whiteboard, Tetris, Camera Bag, The Weather Channel, and more. I love the browser, turn the phone sideways and I can read most websites without resizing.

    Complaints: you cant set custom tones for your texts/emails/alarm. Why not? Apple has the nerve to charge a buck for each ringtone, and you dont even get the song with that - but then they dont allow those tones to be used for anything but a ringtone? Why not? Wouldn't it make sense to allow it, so ppl would buy more tones for the different uses? I don't buy tones anymore cos I found a workaround to make my own for free, but I wish I could set custom tones for texts and email.

    No video recording. All that space on the hard drive, and I can't take video?

    Can't delete/save individual texts. Why not?

    all in all though, I love it, and wouldn't want any other phone.

    Who else has one?
    There is security in fearlessness.

  2. #2
    Senior Member tao_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Boondocks
    Posts
    7,250
    I've got one and I love it.

    There is a way to make your own ringtones in iTunes. I have done it a couple of times and it is super simple.

    I have this case: Link

    And these screen covers: Link
    I love these they make the screen look a little grainy because they are anti-glare but so much better than the glossy.

    Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

  3. #3
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    I have considered getting one,but I don't have one yet.

  4. #4
    Certified SG Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    29,514
    I got one around September 2007. The required plan is ridiculous. $40 for the lowest-end voice plan, then $30 required data plan which doesn't include any messaging. That's another $5, $15 or $20 (for unlimited messaging), bringing the monthly total with fees and taxes to around $100. If you get a lot of usage out of it, then it's no problem, but it seems exorbitant.

    In comparison, I recently skipped the Bold for a Samsung Eternity and get the voice, unlimited text and data for about $70 a month.

  5. #5
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,363
    Blog Entries
    6
    Nice to see you around 9mm

    I don't have one, but I'm considering it, along with other touch screens like the Eternity. One of the turnoffs is the required $30 data plan as Burke mentioned.

    Everyone that has an iPhone seems to love them, they say it's years ahead of the competition. It's BSD based OS, I hear you can "jailbreak" from the chrooted environment without actually having to unlock them (and void your warranty), but allowing you to record video and install other apps.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,585
    I had one a while back that was unlocked when I bought it. Once they are modded you can install a third-party downloader app. ( basically like the app store but its all freeware for the most part )

    Using that downloader I stumbled upon a program that took any mp3 in your phone and turned it into a ringtone and put it in the right place on the drive so it could be used as a tone for new txt, calls, email etc... I loved my phone with my only complaint being that you couldnt send picture text messages, and a few other MINOR things that have probably since been fixed with the newer 3g phone.

    I would still have it today, but I spilled some vodka on it and the ear piece stopped working correctly, and I was forced to use it on speaker phone. I still got 250$ for it broken like that though.

    Good phone for sure! Not sold on the primary carrier AT all Though.

    ииии



    ииии

  7. #7
    Revenant 9mmprincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    out where the lions roar
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by tao_jones View Post
    I've got one and I love it.

    There is a way to make your own ringtones in iTunes. I have done it a couple of times and it is super simple.

    I have this case: Link

    And these screen covers: Link
    I love these they make the screen look a little grainy because they are anti-glare but so much better than the glossy.
    That case looks very...utilitarian At least it's cheaper than mine though, I paid 30 bucks for just a clear plastic case. And yeah, I found a way to make my own ringtones for free

    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I got one around September 2007. The required plan is ridiculous. $40 for the lowest-end voice plan, then $30 required data plan which doesn't include any messaging. That's another $5, $15 or $20 (for unlimited messaging), bringing the monthly total with fees and taxes to around $100. If you get a lot of usage out of it, then it's no problem, but it seems exorbitant.

    In comparison, I recently skipped the Bold for a Samsung Eternity and get the voice, unlimited text and data for about $70 a month.
    I actually ended up paying 10 bucks less than I was paying before I got my iPhone. I don't understand how, but I'm not complaining To me the 30 bucks is worth it cos it's not just for data, you get GPS too, you know what I mean? Which has come in handy more than once already and I haven't even had the phone a month. Not including texts is lame tho, I agree.

    I haven't looked at the Eternity yet, I'll have to go google it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Nice to see you around 9mm

    I don't have one, but I'm considering it, along with other touch screens like the Eternity. One of the turnoffs is the required $30 data plan as Burke mentioned.

    Everyone that has an iPhone seems to love them, they say it's years ahead of the competition. It's BSD based OS, I hear you can "jailbreak" from the chrooted environment without actually having to unlock them (and void your warranty), but allowing you to record video and install other apps.
    Hi Phillip Like I was telling Burke tho, you get GPS too - it's not voice turn by turn, but I feel like you don't really NEED that, you know? It gives you really good maps, even shows traffic (and it's accurate, too - the bit in red on my map was congested when we drove through it - I was impressed by that too) and also you can lay the satellite image over the map image.. trust me, it's really cool. Especially for someone with a bad sense of direction like me.



    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I had one a while back that was unlocked when I bought it. Once they are modded you can install a third-party downloader app. ( basically like the app store but its all freeware for the most part )

    Using that downloader I stumbled upon a program that took any mp3 in your phone and turned it into a ringtone and put it in the right place on the drive so it could be used as a tone for new txt, calls, email etc... I loved my phone with my only complaint being that you couldnt send picture text messages, and a few other MINOR things that have probably since been fixed with the newer 3g phone.

    I would still have it today, but I spilled some vodka on it and the ear piece stopped working correctly, and I was forced to use it on speaker phone. I still got 250$ for it broken like that though.

    Good phone for sure! Not sold on the primary carrier AT all Though.

    I haven't jailbroken my phone yet - I don't know if I will. I've thought about it, but there's nothing a jailbroken phone can do that I want badly enough yet. I may do it in the future tho.
    There is security in fearlessness.

  8. #8
    My buddy just got one, and on his browsing page for internet, it has a built in link to here...Speedguide.net.

    Did you guys know about this?

  9. #9
    Revenant 9mmprincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    out where the lions roar
    Posts
    1,756
    you mean the phone came with it? Where did he buy it? Mine didn't have a speedguide link...
    There is security in fearlessness.

  10. #10
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,363
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Haggis View Post
    My buddy just got one, and on his browsing page for internet, it has a built in link to here...Speedguide.net.

    Did you guys know about this?
    Hmm, I'll bite. Tell us more!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •