Thread: I got an iPhone :) (anyone else have one?)

I got an iPhone :) (anyone else have one?)

And yes, I read in another thread that it takes screenshots when you hit the home button, and no, I don't like that, but it's not going to catch me doing anything illegal, so it's not enough to make me not want my phone. I do hope they fix it though, because it IS an invasion of privacy I think.

Other than that though... I LOVE this phone. The GPS is so cool - the boy and I were out in a strange part of Oakland and got a bit lost - the GPS fixed that, and we could even pull up a satellite pic of where we were. It was awesome, frankly.

I've already downloaded quite a lot of apps, both free and paid, including Facebook, Twitter, Touch Hockey, Whiteboard, Tetris, Camera Bag, The Weather Channel, and more. I love the browser, turn the phone sideways and I can read most websites without resizing.

Complaints: you cant set custom tones for your texts/emails/alarm. Why not? Apple has the nerve to charge a buck for each ringtone, and you dont even get the song with that - but then they dont allow those tones to be used for anything but a ringtone? Why not? Wouldn't it make sense to allow it, so ppl would buy more tones for the different uses? I don't buy tones anymore cos I found a workaround to make my own for free, but I wish I could set custom tones for texts and email.

No video recording. All that space on the hard drive, and I can't take video?

Can't delete/save individual texts. Why not?

all in all though, I love it, and wouldn't want any other phone.

Who else has one?
    There is security in fearlessness.

I've got one and I love it.

There is a way to make your own ringtones in iTunes. I have done it a couple of times and it is super simple.

I have this case: Link

And these screen covers: Link
    I love these they make the screen look a little grainy because they are anti-glare but so much better than the glossy.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

I have considered getting one,but I don't have one yet.

Certified SG Addict
    I got one around September 2007. The required plan is ridiculous. $40 for the lowest-end voice plan, then $30 required data plan which doesn't include any messaging. That's another $5, $15 or $20 (for unlimited messaging), bringing the monthly total with fees and taxes to around $100. If you get a lot of usage out of it, then it's no problem, but it seems exorbitant.

In comparison, I recently skipped the Bold for a Samsung Eternity and get the voice, unlimited text and data for about $70 a month.

Blog Entries
    Nice to see you around 9mm

I don't have one, but I'm considering it, along with other touch screens like the Eternity. One of the turnoffs is the required $30 data plan as Burke mentioned.

Everyone that has an iPhone seems to love them, they say it's years ahead of the competition. It's BSD based OS, I hear you can "jailbreak" from the chrooted environment without actually having to unlock them (and void your warranty), but allowing you to record video and install other apps.

I had one a while back that was unlocked when I bought it. Once they are modded you can install a third-party downloader app. ( basically like the app store but its all freeware for the most part )

Using that downloader I stumbled upon a program that took any mp3 in your phone and turned it into a ringtone and put it in the right place on the drive so it could be used as a tone for new txt, calls, email etc... I loved my phone with my only complaint being that you couldnt send picture text messages, and a few other MINOR things that have probably since been fixed with the newer 3g phone.

I would still have it today, but I spilled some vodka on it and the ear piece stopped working correctly, and I was forced to use it on speaker phone. I still got 250$ for it broken like that though.

Good phone for sure! Not sold on the primary carrier AT all Though.

ииии

ииии

Quote Originally Posted by tao_jones View Post
    I've got one and I love it.

There is a way to make your own ringtones in iTunes. I have done it a couple of times and it is super simple.

I have this case: Link

And these screen covers: Link
    I love these they make the screen look a little grainy because they are anti-glare but so much better than the glossy.
    That case looks very...utilitarian At least it's cheaper than mine though, I paid 30 bucks for just a clear plastic case. And yeah, I found a way to make my own ringtones for free

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I got one around September 2007. The required plan is ridiculous. $40 for the lowest-end voice plan, then $30 required data plan which doesn't include any messaging. That's another $5, $15 or $20 (for unlimited messaging), bringing the monthly total with fees and taxes to around $100. If you get a lot of usage out of it, then it's no problem, but it seems exorbitant.

In comparison, I recently skipped the Bold for a Samsung Eternity and get the voice, unlimited text and data for about $70 a month.
    I actually ended up paying 10 bucks less than I was paying before I got my iPhone. I don't understand how, but I'm not complaining To me the 30 bucks is worth it cos it's not just for data, you get GPS too, you know what I mean? Which has come in handy more than once already and I haven't even had the phone a month. Not including texts is lame tho, I agree.

I haven't looked at the Eternity yet, I'll have to go google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Nice to see you around 9mm

I don't have one, but I'm considering it, along with other touch screens like the Eternity. One of the turnoffs is the required $30 data plan as Burke mentioned.

Everyone that has an iPhone seems to love them, they say it's years ahead of the competition. It's BSD based OS, I hear you can "jailbreak" from the chrooted environment without actually having to unlock them (and void your warranty), but allowing you to record video and install other apps.
    Hi Phillip Like I was telling Burke tho, you get GPS too - it's not voice turn by turn, but I feel like you don't really NEED that, you know? It gives you really good maps, even shows traffic (and it's accurate, too - the bit in red on my map was congested when we drove through it - I was impressed by that too) and also you can lay the satellite image over the map image.. trust me, it's really cool. Especially for someone with a bad sense of direction like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I had one a while back that was unlocked when I bought it. Once they are modded you can install a third-party downloader app. ( basically like the app store but its all freeware for the most part )

Using that downloader I stumbled upon a program that took any mp3 in your phone and turned it into a ringtone and put it in the right place on the drive so it could be used as a tone for new txt, calls, email etc... I loved my phone with my only complaint being that you couldnt send picture text messages, and a few other MINOR things that have probably since been fixed with the newer 3g phone.

I would still have it today, but I spilled some vodka on it and the ear piece stopped working correctly, and I was forced to use it on speaker phone. I still got 250$ for it broken like that though.

Good phone for sure! Not sold on the primary carrier AT all Though.

I haven't jailbroken my phone yet - I don't know if I will. I've thought about it, but there's nothing a jailbroken phone can do that I want badly enough yet. I may do it in the future tho.

My buddy just got one, and on his browsing page for internet, it has a built in link to here...Speedguide.net.

Did you guys know about this?

you mean the phone came with it? Where did he buy it? Mine didn't have a speedguide link...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Haggis View Post
    My buddy just got one, and on his browsing page for internet, it has a built in link to here...Speedguide.net.

Did you guys know about this?
    Hmm, I'll bite. Tell us more!

I switched to the iPhone from the Blackjack II, and so my data plan didn't change at all, just the phone. In fact, I finally feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of the data plan. Cassettte Adapter + Pandora radio = way better than any XM music station.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

I got mine about three months ago, and I really like it. As an apps platform, it can't be beat right now.

I have a few minor complaints (battery life, no cut/paste), but the one thing that drives me batty is the lack of a turn by turn GPS app. I think I read that Apple is keeping app developers out of that biz, so that they can do their own thing. It's things like this, and iTunes DRM (boycott the music store, please!) that make me long for real competition. Unfortunately, for my purposes, the iPhone is hands down the best appliance out there.
    When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoNut View Post
    I got mine about three months ago, and I really like it. As an apps platform, it can't be beat right now.

I have a few minor complaints (battery life, no cut/paste), but the one thing that drives me batty is the lack of a turn by turn GPS app. I think I read that Apple is keeping app developers out of that biz, so that they can do their own thing. It's things like this, and iTunes DRM (boycott the music store, please!) that make me long for real competition. Unfortunately, for my purposes, the iPhone is hands down the best appliance out there.
    I agree turn by turn GPS would be cool, but I don't really feel like I need it - the regular maps work good enough for me. It does need copy paste tho - it seems like such a simple function, I dont understand why it's not there :/ And yeah, battery life isn't the greatest, but if I just use the phone for calls and checking email now and then, it actually lasts pretty long. I just usually can't limit myself to that, I end up surfing the net or playing games or checking out GPS or using different apps, ect.

Well, considering the fact that somebody would produce a good turn by turn navigation app for a couple of dollars, thereby allowing me to leave the Garmin at home, I feel like I'm losing value.

And you're right, when using it as a phone, the battery life ain't so bad.
    When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?

He went to the i-tunes apps store and downloaded the speedtest.net app which is free and it takes you right to speedguide.net.

Pretty Cool.

I might have to get one of these i-phones.