Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody have any good recipies...

Does anybody have any good recipies...

...for root veggies?

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    ...for root veggies?

Root?

I need a good recipe for banana bread. Do you have one?
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Which ones?

Turnips
    Parsnips
    Potatoes
    Carrots
    Rudabaga
    Beets
    Onion
    Garlic

If there are others I left out, the more the merrier.

Yeah, I know what they are

Just wondering if there was a specific one, I cook them differently.

I love steamed beets, sauteed onion and garlic, carrots raw steamed or sauteed, potatoes baked or fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Yeah, I know what they are

Just wondering if there was a specific one, I cook them differently.

I love steamed beets, sauteed onion and garlic, carrots raw steamed or sauteed, potatoes baked or fired.
    I have to eat more root veggies...I need to get creative with them. Do you use any special seasoning with them?

Red potatoes...Wash well.

Cut up into bite size chunks and leave the skin on.

Put into pot with a quarter cup of teriyaki sauce and water. Boil. Eat..

Onions.... man how could I live without them?

Do you like steak on occasion? Cut an onion in half. Dig out just a bit on each side. Stick a beef bullion cube in the depression you made and put the onion back together. Wrap in tin foil and bake at 350 for umm...20 to 30 minutes. Make sure your twist on the tin foil is standing straight up.

Unwrap and dump half of that onion on your steak or your buger pattie.. This will be full of juice so be careful.

Idaho potatoes......

Peel....cut lengthwise. Probably into 8ths depending on the potatoe. Salt, pepper or your favorite beef rub.....and bake in an oven at 350 for 20 minutes. We call them potato planks out this way.

Thanks Downhill. I found a few online, but wanted to throw this thread out there since we have a few people here who like to cook.

What I am looking for is to cook a combination of these vegetables. I've been told that I have to eat more root veggies.

cooking.speedguide.net

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    cooking.speedguide.net

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    cooking.speedguide.net

Beets? I love beets. They often have to be solo.

Onions 'n garlic I use mixed in with other food....but roasted garlic, as a spread over some good dinner bread..yum.

I'm not a bit turnip fan...but one method I don't mind them, treat them like mashed potatos...except (now here comes the unhealthy part)...after machine, stir in some crushed up bacon you just made....with a tablespoon or so of the bacon fat from the pan.

Taters...I love mashed, I love roasted, I love boiled, I love 'em many ways.
    Here's one way...using the small potatos....yukon golds or red russets are my favorites....boil them and cook about 1/2 done. Drain, slice in 1/2. In a large pot ( I use a ceramic one, may also want non-stick)...heavy coat of olive oil on the bottom, butter, lots of chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and a good amount of rosemary. Quickly tossed in your halved 'taters....gently toss til they're evenly coated. Over 3/4 high heat...let them brown...stir well (scraping up the bits on the bottom)..brown some more. Or..instead of browning over a burner...do them in the oven with it cranked. Your goal is to brown/crips the 'taters a bit...yet not burn the garlic (which imparts a bitter flavor).

Can mix in carrots in the above as well. Also with carrots...I like a glazed style carrot. Orange juice simmered down, lemon rind, maple syrup or honey over them towards the end.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Man...Debs...now you've done it...I'm hungry. Haven't even made breakfast yet...and I just ran down to the kitchen and started some Chicken Confit for lunch. Just went the oven..should be ready by 1215.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Man...Debs...now you've done it...I'm hungry. Haven't even made breakfast yet...and I just ran down to the kitchen and started some Chicken Confit for lunch. Just went the oven..should be ready by 1215.

Debbie......google crockpot recipes. There are tons of them you might want to check out. Mostly soups I would think for what you want.

I'm curious tough. Root veggies? If its' for weight and possible diabetes ...I'm not sure why potatoes which are high in starch are included.

I can eat potatoes, but in smaller quantities. I am staying off of bread, pasta, and rice, so it is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Debbie......google crockpot recipes. There are tons of them you might want to check out. Mostly soups I would think for what you want.

I'm curious tough. Root veggies? If its' for weight and possible diabetes ...I'm not sure why potatoes which are high in starch are included.

Beets I scrub and steam in the jacket until tender, probably 25-30 minutes. Don't throw out the beet greens, rinse them well to get all the dirt out of the leaves and give them a quick stir fry, just a couple drops of oil and some soy sauce or splash of vinegar, keep the lid on except when stirring and they'll steam from the water that's still there from rinsing them.

Carrots are good no matter how or if you cook them. I like to throw a few in when I make mashed potatoes.

Do what I do... throw them all in a crockpot and keep your fingers crossed!

http://www.terrachips.com/

I just tore through 1/2 a bag of these...
    http://www.terrachips.com/products/O...ERRA-Chips.php
    "Ingredients: a seasonal mix of root vegetables (sweet potato, parsnip, batata, taro, yuca), canola oil and/or safflower oil and/or sunflower oil, beet juice concentrate (for color), salt."
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Can you do sweet potatoes?
    A recipe I often do....cut up into thirds or quarters depending on size, toss in a pot of salted water along with 1/2 dozen gloves of garlic. Boil similar to as you would for mashed potatoes, just a bit less...they cook quicker. Don't let them split much.

Drain, back in pot (including the cloves of garlic). Mash with butter (we use Oleo actually)...a little salt to flavor. Also a little maple syrup. A pinch of brown sugar and cinnamon are good too, even a wee pinch of nutmeg.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    even a wee pinch
    and you call yourself a man