Thread: Replacing a laptop fan.

Question Replacing a laptop fan.

I am fairly sure my fan has died inside my laptop, or at least is very close to death. My cpu temp just keeps rising, it always ran at a high temp, but now it's getting up to 85 - 90 Celsius. So far no damage seems to have been caused, as the fail-safe shuts the laptop down before it gets to hot.

I finally un-jigsawed my laptop, but the fan was really not that dirty. But I cleaned it up some and oiled it (as best as I could). Still though, I don't hear it kick on and it use to be kind of noisy. Also awhile back it was making some unusual noise.

I was going to replace it but I am very unfamiliar with how to go about that. I wanted to know; how do I figure out what fan I need and how do I get it? Or is there anything else I need to know about laptop fans, before I start buying and tearing things apart?

I have an Acer Aspire 5050 laptop

* Processor: AMD Turion64 x2 TL-50 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache total, 256 KB on each core)
    * RAM: 1 GB 533 MHz DDR2 RAM (2 x 512 MB)
    * Hard Drive: 80 GB Hitachi 5400 RPM HD
    * Screen: 14.1-inch WXGA Acer CrystalBrite screen
    * Gaphics: ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 integrated graphics (64-256mb shared memory)
    * Optical Drive: Dual layer DVD +/- RW combo
    * Wireless: Atheros Wireless 802.11 b/g with Signalup high efficiency antennae
    * Battery: 44.6 W 4000 mAh Li-ion battery (6-cell) with a rated 2.5 hrs battery life
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 01-23-09 at 11:59 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Might you have gotten an extended warranty on it? If so, I'd call their support and have them ship you a replacement fan.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for the suggestion, YeOlde., but it is not in warranty. Do you think they sell things like that?
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 01-24-09 at 11:20 AM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, YeOlde., but it is not in warranty. Do you think they sell things like that?
    ebay for starters..and google may become your friend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Acer-Aspire-...3286.m20.l1116

Thanks , Sava.