Thread: Loud PC, can I do anything

Loud PC, can I do anything

Just inherited a 2.4 Ghz. I think it's the damn Chassis fan that is so loud.

Sounds like a Dell Poweredge server.

CPU fan is good, Do I really need that damn Chassis fan?

You could replace it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Loud from the RPMs of the fan...running too high? Or is the fan noisy..as in bearings starting to go? Should be able to replace with a new one either way...but if it's a clean fan that's not noisy from failing bearings, may want to troubleshoot why it's running so fast...perhaps temp sensor controlled.

Last week we had a clients laptop in, Dell Inspiron 9200 I think...laptop. The CPU fan was running at 100% all the time..very noisy. Looked around online, found many people had the same complaint. Dave's World kept researching and researching, found a post deep in Dells forums or something..that they have faulty temp sensors which got out of whack. He found out doing a Fn + Z I think it was...would hard reset that sensor. That worked...settled down to a low whir. Dunno if you had a laptop, guessing not. But just as reference to temp sensor.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yardofstuf View Post
    you could replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Loud from the RPMs of the fan...running too high? Or is the fan noisy..as in bearings starting to go? Should be able to replace with a new one either way...but if it's a clean fan that's not noisy from failing bearings, may want to troubleshoot why it's running so fast...perhaps temp sensor controlled.

Last week we had a clients laptop in, Dell Inspiron 9200 I think...laptop. The CPU fan was running at 100% all the time..very noisy. Looked around online, found many people had the same complaint. Dave's World kept researching and researching, found a post deep in Dells forums or something..that they have faulty temp sensors which got out of whack. He found out doing a Fn + Z I think it was...would hard reset that sensor. That worked...settled down to a low whir. Dunno if you had a laptop, guessing not. But just as reference to temp sensor.
    It's a desktop, built in town circa 2003. Phoenix Award bios

i845E-W83627h-6A69VA1LC-BU

09/17/2002-i845E-W83627H-6A69VA1LC-BU Abit BD7-II / BD7-II RAID

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I think the bearing are ok. I believe it's the RPMs of the fan

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    ...Sounds like a Dell Poweredge server.:rotfl
    lol! last month I got one. 2.8 Ghz socket 478 400SC, 800 FSB.

Never thought the day would come when I'd say a Dell rig is a step up for me.

Anyway, I hate the fan. I'm thinking about moving the system to a different case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

It's a nice PC, Full of virus and spyware, but I'll take care of that. I can put more Memory in it. 512 now running 2000.

Found a program on the Abit CD with regards to hardware. Thought it would allow me to control fan speed....

It's the Chassis/Case fan that is so damn load. I have it disconnected right now.

An easy fix is to 5 or 7v the fan(s) in question.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/496

Before doing so I'd use something like Speedfan to get a good idea of where the system is at before doing anything. So you know what kinda of deltas your working with.