Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So nice to see my county put on the map... Hitler's birthday cake

Blog Entries

So nice to see my county put on the map... Hitler's birthday cake

From the land that brought you the Lindburgh kidnapping trial, Heath and Deborah Campbell.

By now, I am sure the SG readership has viewed the story where the physically disabled couple gave their children Nazi names.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479904,00.html

While the father might make overtures of his tolerance, his children play in a house festooned with swatikas and nazi paraphernalia.

Regardless, I do not find this as an excuse to remove the children from their parents. Sure, these jackasses would do better to make their statements by changing their OWN names to Hitler and Aryan Nation, however it is unconscionable to punish the children by placing them in foster care, not to mentioned rather un-American. Unless they can prove that the parents were mistreating these kids, this is a DFYS blunder.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Well, David, coming from Foxnews, I have to wonder about the wholeness of the story. But, despite that; on one hand, I am glad the children are removed; while on the other, I agree with you David; the actions of the DFYS is un-American. However, anyone who names their child Adolf Hitler or Aryan Nation seems like very unsuitable parents. Removing them might be what is best for the children; although unless done lawfully, this violates the rights of the family. I don't know about others, but upholding these freedoms is very important to me. And while, these freedoms enable the unfit to pervert their children, they also enable the decent to bring us a prosperous generation. But, does this justify that we stand idly by, and watch the perversion of innocent children into monsters?
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 01-18-09 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Comma madness; where do they go!?!? *pulls hair*
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    A name is a name, the person is what matters.

From what I've read they have done NOTHING to justify taking the kids. This is America, they can name their kids whatever the hell they want.
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

That's not the point though, Rosco.

Name your kid whatever you want but they are your kids. If you truly love them, you won't give them names they may have problems with growing up.

Think about it. What would your life have been like if for instance, your parents had named you Alice or Dalmer?

That said, I do agree with your's and Davids statement that unless someone can prove abuse, then no they shouldn't have been taken.

I might tend to think a bit of emotional abuse in future years due to stupidity by the parents though.

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoPColtrane View Post
    A name is a name, the person is what matters.

From what I've read they have done NOTHING to justify taking the kids. This is America, they can name their kids whatever the hell they want.
    Do you really have no problem, with small children being indoctrinated with Nazism?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    I might tend to think a bit of emotional abuse in future years due to stupidity by the parents though.
    That's where I feel bad for the kids.

The children have a hard time being able to make their own decision, they are innocent..unable to have a wholesome neutral view on things.

The ridicule throughout school by their classmates....the social stigma placed upon them by simply a name...

It takes an awful lot for a child to rise up above the slanted upbringing of a parent. A good friend of mine throughout high school and college....his father was very racist. I remember when we moved up to the main campus of UCONN, his first roommate was Indian. He flipped out and went into the process of changing roommates..stating "they smell..all that curry 'n crap". When I was getting married to my first wife...she was from Puerto Rico...he made some comment along the lines of "You're going to taint your bloodline with half breed kid?" I didn't talk to him for quite some time after that.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Jeremy,

I selected Fox for its national appeal. The story runs similar in almost all other accounts.

Hell_Yes

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

That's not the point though, Rosco.

Name your kid whatever you want but they are your kids. If you truly love them, you won't give them names they may have problems with growing up.

Think about it. What would your life have been like if for instance, your parents had named you Alice or Dalmer?

That said, I do agree with your's and Davids statement that unless someone can prove abuse, then no they shouldn't have been taken.

please tell me you are not comparing apples and oranges.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    The comparison only covers one aspect, the trouble with carrying a moniker that invites ridicule. The New Zealand case, where a girl was branded "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii", had the child made a ward of the court so that judge could ameliorate her name.

Hell_Yes

????????????? Elaborate please. I don't understand your qustion or maybe you aren't following my logic.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The comparison only covers one aspect, the trouble with carrying a moniker that invites ridicule. The New Zealand case, where a girl was branded "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii", had the child made a ward of the court so that judge could ameliorate her name.
    ????????????? Elaborate please. I don't understand your qustion or maybe you aren't following my logic.
    i understand your point, but to me hitler is universally known, dahmer is not.

hitler directly and indirectly responsible for 25 million deaths, dahmer ate a few people.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Oh.....I wasn't aware that Hitler never ate anyone.

Oh.....I wasn't aware that Hitler never ate anyone.
    to eat or not to eat is not the question.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Blog Entries
    i understand your point, but to me hitler is universally known, dahmer is not.

hitler directly and indirectly responsible for 25 million deaths, dahmer ate a few people.
    Fair enough, but the concept is placing any unfortunate name on a child.

Hell_Yes

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Fair enough, but the concept is placing any unfortunate name on a child.
    agreed, but ask anyone who dahmer is and most won't have a clue. ask who hitler is and see what the response is.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

I can understand that having such names would invite ridicule and could be considered abuse....

but what does that say about the abusers? If everyone fears that they will be ridiculed in school.....what does that say about our school system and the children that populate it and the parents that gave birth to them?

Why do we have to tolerate these little innocent souls? They didn't choose their names....but it is a choice to ridicule them. Much like it was a choice to attempt to associate the name Barack Hussein Obama with other less than desirable Arabs.

Did we not learn the lessons of Columbine?

Columbine taught us that you can only bully kids to a certain extent before they break. The dehumanization that the shooters were subjected to along with the systemic application of mind altering drugs...lead to a massacre.

Are we too stupid to realize that these children are just that....and that they do not deserve peer ridicule?

so when everyone jumps up and says...."but those poor kids are gonna be abused because of their names later in life!!!"

I ask....abused by who? Who then will admit to being an abuser?

Why do we tolerate abuse?

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    I can understand that having such names would invite ridicule and could be considered abuse....

but what does that say about the abusers? If everyone fears that they will be ridiculed in school.....what does that say about our school system and the children that populate it and the parents that gave birth to them?

Why do we have to tolerate these little innocent souls? They didn't choose their names....but it is a choice to ridicule them. Much like it was a choice to attempt to associate the name Barack Hussein Obama with other less than desirable Arabs.

Columbine taught us that you can only bully kids to a certain extent before they break. The dehumanization that the shooters were subjected to along with the systemic application of mind altering drugs...lead to a massacre.

Are we too stupid to realize that these children are just that....and that they do not deserve peer ridicule?

so when everyone jumps up and says...."but those poor kids are gonna be abused because of their names later in life!!!"

GOOD POST!!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to UOD again"
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post

So are you saying we should punish those who may, or may not in the future "abuse" these kids as opposed to nipping it in the bud now?
    Now, Hank, touch your throat. That tube you feel is your trachea. Think of it as your handle. That thing your thumb is on is your carotid artery. Think of it as your button. I want you to grab the handle, push the button.
    -Brock Samson

Quote Originally Posted by tarpoon75 View Post
    So are you saying we should punish those who may, or may not in the future "abuse" these kids as opposed to nipping it in the bud now?
    i read it as we should be able to name our kids anything we want without judgment from people who have no right to judge or ridicule for something the kids had no control over. sad to say though, we live in a world where it will happen.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by tarpoon75 View Post

No, I'm simply suggesting that we should educate our children now that abuse of their peers is wrong.

Nipping it in the bud doesn't do much for the mentality of abuse as there will almost always be scenarios for abuse. We can't nip them all...but we can teach our kids toleration.

Do we arm children with the education to face the many challenges in life or do we micro manage their lives by removing the challenges?

will anyone here admit to condoning their children bullying another child?

...formerly the omnipotent UOD