Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 cannot boot from CD code 5

Custom installation of Windows 7 eliminates the need to boot from DVD

My goal: To do a clean install of Windows 7 to a computer that has Vista already installed.

Problem: (apparently) Due to my old motherboard I get the "Cannot boot from CD - error code 5" message when trying to boot from the Windows 7 installation DVD.
    My version of Bios is AMIBIOS v.3.3 dated 2003
    The Bios is so old that it cannot boot from USB either - so that was not an option for me either.

What didn't work:
    - I burned the DVD to another type of media with slower speed (DVD-R and DVD+R). Didn't help.
    - I tried different BIOS boot options. All in vain. Always same 'error code 5'
    - I tried another DVD-ROM drive suspecting it was the culprit. Didn't make a difference.

What worked: I booted into Vista and started the Windows 7 installation program (setup.exe) from there. Here is how it went:
    1. I inserted the DVD and chose to run Setup.exe as Administrator
    2. I chose Install Now (Setup copied some temporaty files)
    3. I chose to Go online and installation got the latest updates
    4. I Accepted the Licence terms
    5. I chose the installation option Custom (advanced). (This is the critical step if you want a clean installation of Windows 7!)
    6. I chose partition C: where the old installation of Vista resided. (The installation program informed me that Files from previous installation go to Windows.old and that the files can be used, but not the old version of Windows. After that the installation started with the message: "That's all the information we need right now. Your computer will restart several times during installation."

Outcome: I have the clean installation of Win7 running smoothly

MYTH: To do a clean install of Windows 7 you need to boot from the installation DVD.

Notes:
    - Windows.old folder is 42GB so I will delete it after I have copied Picasa and Winamp settings from there to my Win7 installations of those programs.
    - The Win7 installation program did leave two non-windows folders (which I had put there manually in Vista) to the root of the C: drive. All windows folders were moved to Windows.old. So all is good

Quote Originally Posted by Wesku View Post
    My goal: To do a clean install of Windows 7 to a computer that has Vista already installed.

Problem: (apparently) Due to my old motherboard I get the "Cannot boot from CD - error code 5" message when trying to boot from the Windows 7 installation DVD.
    My version of Bios is AMIBIOS v.3.3 dated 2003
    The Bios is so old that it cannot boot from USB either - so that was not an option for me either.

What didn't work:
    - I burned the DVD to another type of media with slower speed (DVD-R and DVD+R). Didn't help.
    - I tried different BIOS boot options. All in vain. Always same 'error code 5'
    - I tried another DVD-ROM drive suspecting it was the culprit. Didn't make a difference.

What worked: I booted into Vista and started the Windows 7 installation program (setup.exe) from there. Here is how it went:
    1. I inserted the DVD and chose to run Setup.exe as Administrator
    2. I chose Install Now (Setup copied some temporaty files)
    3. I chose to Go online and installation got the latest updates
    4. I Accepted the Licence terms
    5. I chose the installation option Custom (advanced). (This is the critical step if you want a clean installation of Windows 7!)
    6. I chose partition C: where the old installation of Vista resided. (The installation program informed me that Files from previous installation go to Windows.old and that the files can be used, but not the old version of Windows. After that the installation started with the message: "That's all the information we need right now. Your computer will restart several times during installation."

Outcome: I have the clean installation of Win7 running smoothly

MYTH: To do a clean install of Windows 7 you need to boot from the installation DVD.

Notes:
    - Windows.old folder is 42GB so I will delete it after I have copied Picasa and Winamp settings from there to my Win7 installations of those programs.
    - The Win7 installation program did leave two non-windows folders (which I had put there manually in Vista) to the root of the C: drive. All windows folders were moved to Windows.old. So all is good
    Did you try the Smart Boot Manager option from above? It would be a lot easier without all of the folder mess.

Quote Originally Posted by dawpa2000 View Post
    Did you try the Smart Boot Manager option from above? It would be a lot easier without all of the folder mess.
    I agree about the folder mess. I would have gone for the Smart Boot Manager, but the link (http://rescup.winbuilder.net/bootdisk/) that was given in a previous post is not working

I would need a working link to the program and instructions on how to 'load Smart Boot Manager on a floppy or CD'. With these I could test if I can start the Windows 7 installation from the DVD.

Workaround with Smart BootManager

I would need a working link to the program and instructions on how to 'load Smart Boot Manager on a floppy or CD'. With these I could test if I can start the Windows 7 installation from the DVD.
    I will answer myself
    Did a little Googleing and found the Sourceforge homepage for Smart BootManager at http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

It worked like a charm!

How it worked:
    1) I downloaded sbminst.exe from http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/files/ to C:\temp
    2) I inserted an empty floppy disk to A:
    3) At command prompt I gave the following command: C:\Temp>sbminst -d 0 (This command installed Smart BootManager to the 'first floppy driver', which is my case was the empty floppy in A: ) To see other options just give sbminst without any switches.
    4) I then booted from the floppy with the Win7 media in DVD-drive. In Smart BootManager I chose the 'CDROM' option by pressing Enter three times(?) and then I got the 'Press any key to boot from CD...' message.
    5) Pressed space and Win7 installation started loading from the DVD. Hooray!
    Last edited by Wesku; 08-11-10 at 01:23 PM.

I will answer myself
    Did a little Googleing and found the Sourceforge homepage for Smart BootManager at http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

It worked like a charm!

How it worked:
    1) I downloaded sbminst.exe from http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/files/ to C:\temp
    2) I inserted an empty floppy disk to A:
    3) At command prompt I gave the following command: C:\Temp>sbminst -d 0 (This command installed Smart BootManager to the 'first floppy driver', which is my case was the empty floppy in A: ) To see other options just give sbminst without any switches.
    4) I then booted from the floppy with the Win7 media in DVD-drive. In Smart BootManager I chose the 'CDROM' option by pressing Enter three times(?) and then I got the 'Press any key to boot from CD...' message.
    5) Pressed space and Win7 installation started loading from the DVD. Hooray!
    If you or someone else doesn't have a floppy drive, you, he, or she could use Ultimate Boot CD, or even Plop bootmanager.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yeah back when this thread was created ....over a year 'n a half ago, floppy drives were long gone. It's all bootable CD/DVD or bootable USB now.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Yeah back when this thread was created ....over a year 'n a half ago, floppy drives were long gone. It's all bootable CD/DVD or bootable USB now.
    The whole problem of getting 'error code 5' is due to having and old machine with an old BIOS (and maybe a floppy drive). This problem most likely doesn't happen on new computers.

My old Amibios doesn't support USB-boot neither does it support booting from the Windows 7 installation DVD - thus the need to find workarounds. Which I generously have posted 2 in this thread.

I know the floppy solution is not for everyone, but for those who have floppy it is really quick and easy way to get around the annoying 'error code 5' problem.

First of all - I highly doubt that what Wesku described would result in "clean install" which is already denied by the fact the old Windows folder is still present. Moreover, I'm pretty sure, he would find old user folders in Users and software in Program Files, so I think it's pretty much BS. Clean install can start only with deleting or formatting of the target drive.

I stumbled on this problem recently when I changed the board on a prehistoric machine for a new one (but still with the same old socket - CPU) the fun part is that the new motherboard is giving this line and will not start the installation of Windows 7, while the old one normally installed it. The processor is AMD Duron (1000 MHz) and the old mobo was ASUS A7V133-VM and the new one is ASRock K7S41GX. I've changed the old one because it didn't support ACPI and Vista and 7 could not powerdown or restart the machine.

And it's not true that this problem is related to all DVD booting - I was able to do a clean install of Vista with no problems, so it's strictly related to Windows 7 installation DVD media.

Just for the record - the DVD works on all other computers with no problem...
    Last edited by precaq; 01-30-11 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by precaq View Post
    First of all - I highly doubt that what Wesku described would result in "clean install" which is already denied by the fact the old Windows folder is still present. Moreover, I'm pretty sure, he would find old user folders in Users and software in Program Files, so I think it's pretty much BS. Clean install can start only with deleting or formatting of the target drive.

I stumbled on this problem recently when I change the board on a prehistoric machine for a new one (but still with the same old socket - CPU) the fun part is that the new motherboard is giving this line and will not start the installation of Windows 7, while the old one normally installed it. The processor is AMD Duron (1000 MHz) and the old mobo was ASUS A7V133-VM and the new one is ASRock K7S41GX. I've changed the old one because it didn't support ACPI and Vista and 7 could not powerdown or restart the machine.

And it's not true that this problem is related to all DVD booting - I was able to do a clean install of Vista with no problems, so it's strictly related to Windows 7 installation DVD media.
    I've installed windows 7 from XP (Custom install) and it is the equivalent of doing a clean install. "Everything" related to the previous XP install was put into the Windows.old folder. It does that so you can retrieve your documents pictures etc from the XP install if you want to. You will not find any of your old user files in the new windows 7 user folders or program files folders. You can't do an upgrade install (in the traditional sense) from XP to windows 7 so there is no way for anything to be carried over. Once you get everything you want you just delete the Windows.old folder.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by CuteGirlVN View Post
    What burn speed did you burn the ISO? I've found if you burn too fast on those large iso's to dvd disks they won't read..I had to burn mine at 4x to make sure it burned good.
    spam links removed
    If you read the whole thread you will see that burn speed has already been discussed and is not the issue. It's a BIOS error due to an old BIOS version that cannot handle the Windows 7 boot loader. Some boards will load Vista but not 7 and some won't boot either. I don't have that motherboard anymore anyway.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If you read the whole thread you will see that burn speed has already been discussed and is not the issue. It's a BIOS error due to an old BIOS version that cannot handle the Windows 7 boot loader. Some boards will load Vista but not 7 and some won't boot either. I don't have that motherboard anymore anyway.
    That's a spammer your replying too lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I've installed windows 7 from XP (Custom install) and it is the equivalent of doing a clean install. "Everything" related to the previous XP install was put into the Windows.old folder. It does that so you can retrieve your documents pictures etc from the XP install if you want to. You will not find any of your old user files in the new windows 7 user folders or program files folders. You can't do an upgrade install (in the traditional sense) from XP to windows 7 so there is no way for anything to be carried over. Once you get everything you want you just delete the Windows.old folder.
    Ok, thanks for correcting me and letting me know. However I'll to stick to format-clean install. I am now installing with the help of All in One floppy, but I would appreciate if someone could post how to put it on a USB stick.
    Last edited by precaq; 09-17-11 at 07:47 AM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    How to put "what" on this....this..so called "all in one floppy" thing?
    The "upgrade" install of Win7 does indeed grab allllll the files/folders/directories of the previous XP install...and stuffs them into the windows.old folder. No "garbage" is left behind. If you don't need that data, or once you're done peeling your old data out of that windows.old folder....very simply right click..and delete.

If Windows 7 does not install on that old Duron hardware....maybe check the Windows 7 hardware compatibility list and see if that motherboard is supported. Part of Microsofts logic in making Windows 7 much more improved was trimming down what hardware it supported. I'm not sure I'd want to try to run Windows 7 on a 1GHz single core Celeron equivalent. How much memory can that motherboard support? You really want 2 gigs minimum for a decent user experience.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    How to put "what" on this....this..so called "all in one floppy" thing?
    The "upgrade" install of Win7 does indeed grab allllll the files/folders/directories of the previous XP install...and stuffs them into the windows.old folder. No "garbage" is left behind. If you don't need that data, or once you're done peeling your old data out of that windows.old folder....very simply right click..and delete.

If Windows 7 does not install on that old Duron hardware....maybe check the Windows 7 hardware compatibility list and see if that motherboard is supported. Part of Microsofts logic in making Windows 7 much more improved was trimming down what hardware it supported. I'm not sure I'd want to try to run Windows 7 on a 1GHz single core Celeron equivalent. How much memory can that motherboard support? You really want 2 gigs minimum for a decent user experience.
    Thanks for your interest, I appreciate it. The "all in one floppy" thing as you called it really worked. The fact I was doubting the method Wesku described was also the time consuming installation of Vista and just to immediately get rid of them (not to mention the availability of installation media, I mean the legal ones ). The floppy method is much more neat.

I was interested if someone could post how to do the same trick with USB flash disk (it was mentioned in the post about AllinOne thing, but the site talks about floppy only), as I never know, when my old external floppy (which comes in handy from time to time) dies. The Duron is of course slow as hell, so it's purpose is only for testing. The board supports 2 GB, but I only got 1 in there.... Like I said it's just for some registry tweaking experiments, since I've got Vista on my laptop and everyone's going crazy about 7... Actually I remember some guy testing Windows 7 wrote he installed it on a machine with 512 MB of RAM and then cut it down to 256 and it was still running. Of course it probably wasn't bearable, but it worked...

By the way - I wasn't able to make working my external USB DVD drive through the AllinOne boot manager.
    Last edited by precaq; 01-30-11 at 11:23 AM.

Unhappy

Sorry,

That method http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/code5-error.html?lang=EN would help to fix your problem and avoid you to buy a new PC.