Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 cannot boot from CD code 5

Windows 7 cannot boot from CD code 5

I downloaded the Windows 7 beta from Microsoft and burned it to DVD. I have installed it on my old beater Athlon 1100 PC using an IDE DVD drive. I was wanting to install it on my newer Athlon XP 3200+ but I get a "cannot boot from CD code 5" error message when I try to boot the same DVD from my USB HP DVD. Any body else get this error?

PC that worked

Motherboard - Micro-star K7T Pro2-A (MS-6330 Ver1)
    Processor - 1.1GHZ AMD Athlon 1100 200MHZ FSB Socket-A
    Ram - 768 Meg of PC-133 sdram
    Harddrive - 80 Gig Maxtor ATA-133 Drives
    Video - NVidia GeForce FX 5500 256Meg AGP X8 (X4)
    Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster Vibra 128 PCI (CT4810)
    DVD-ROM - A-Open 16 DVD IDE
    NIC - D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 PCI

PC that gives the error message

Motherboard - PCChips M848A (v5.0) SiS Socket A ATX
    Processor - 2.2GHz AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Socket-A Barton Core
    Ram - A-Data 1024x2 for 2048 Meg of DDR 3200
    Harddrive - 160 Gig WesternDigital ATA-100 Drive (XP Pro sp3)
    - 80 Gig WesternDigital ATA-100 Drive (Future Home of win 7)
    Video - Radeon HD 2600 XT - 512MB GDDR3, AGP 8x,
    Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster Live Value PCI 4-Channel
    DVD-RW - HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
    NIC - Onboard SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Adapter

EDIT: I don't want to install it from XP if I can help it as I don't want it's boot loader on my XP drive. My plan is to use my BIOS F8 (boot menu) to select the OS (hard drive) when I want to play with Windows 7.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

What burn speed did you burn the ISO? I've found if you burn too fast on those large iso's to dvd disks they won't read..I had to burn mine at 4x to make sure it burned good.

I burned at whatever the default was. I've burned hundreds of disks over the years and never had this problem. I've had disks (ISO's) that claimed to be bootable that wouldn't boot but they wouldn't boot on any PC. This DVD worked fine on the first PC but I can't boot from it on this PC. XP reads it OK and I can launch the install from Windows. What little turned up on Google shows a few other people with the same error. Best guess is outdated BIOS. My guess is it's related to my old hardware and me trying to boot it from a USB DVD drive. I'm going to check a couple of BIOS settings and give it one last try. If that doesn't work I'll probably just install it from XP and live with the Microsoft dual boot menu and the boot loader being on my XP drive.

I gave up, booted up to XP and ran the install from there. Not a big deal, I'll just have to clean the boot loader off of the XP drive when the trial runs out on Windows 7.

I just burned another DVD, this time at X6, my two options are X8 and X6. Still the same problem, but I think it's a problem with my PC not the Windows 7 DVD. I tried a windows Vista DVD and it didn't work either, not the same error though. I got the same looking for boot sector on CD message but it just went to the next drive instead of putting up a code 5 error. I'm thinking my BIOS can boot from a CD in the USB drive but not A DVD? Is that possible? XP boots fine from this drive and installs OK. I'm going to duplicate this post in the Windows 7 thread so if you want to reply there and ignore this one thats cool.

try different USB ports?

I would if it was plugged into a HUB, but it's connected directly to the motherboard USB port and the one next to it is empty. The drive is detected in the BIOS and shows up in the boot menu OK. I think it's just a BIOS limitation when booting from a USB device. I know it can be finicky when booting from thumb drives. 1 and 2 gig are OK, 4 gig and above don't boot. Thats just the way it is with old hardware.

Can't boot Windows 7 Beta DVD

I also tried a DVD burned at 16x and one at 4x and both produced the message:
    CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5
    It has to be a limitation of the AMI BIOS on my old MSI 6207 motherboard that is causing this, the same problem Dude has. I can boot CD's fine but not DVDs requardless of record speed so it's not a DVD disk (I've tried Ridata and Imation) or drive problem (I tried 2 DVD PATA drives). I'm going to do the upgrade from XP.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    I got this from another forum hopefully it helps

Solution from:

http://blog.aproductofsociety.org/?p=13

Exactly this part (go into website as there is a link included for oscdimg.exe):

"

Download Vista SP1/2008 x64 ISO from MSDN, orgrab your CD
    Create 3 folders c:\efi-iso c:\efi-exe c:\efi-dvd
    Download oscdimg.exe from here into c:\efi-exe
    Extract iso using 7Zip or WinRAR (Or copy the contents of the DVD) into c:\efi-dvd
    Start up a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    Type: cd c:\efi-exe
    Type: oscdimg -n -m -bc:\efi-dvd\boot\etfsboot.com c:\efi-dvd c:\efi-iso\server2008dvd.iso"

I've googled a lot, and this one seemes to be only working solution as for now - for me it worked perfectly.
    Comptia a+ n+

Thanks for that info mccoffee. I might try it if I really wanted to do a clean install on this PC. I've since removed Win 7 and the boot loader and gone back to XP only on this PC. Probably won't try that beta again at this point. I've saved that info just in case though.

Smile Windows 7 CD Boot Can Not boot from CD Code 5

I hope this information is useful. I was having this problem on only one of my computers. I looked around the internet but nothing really worked. I think the problem is based on AMD based computers and motherboards. Most people I have been reading that had this problem all seemed to have an AMD processor.

Some people talked about making sure you burn the ISO file at a slow speed. But that does not work. Some people talked about the BIOS on the motherboard is out dated. In short I tried everything I could think of but no matter what I did the same results would happen. Can Not boot from CD Code 5.

I even went to MSI my motherboard's web site and I updated the BIOS but that did not work.

Here is what I did and it worked perfectly. It was so easy that it was hard.

Make sure you have Windows Vista installed on your computer. Turn your computer on as you would normally do.

Once the computer comes up open a Command prompt window.

Place the Windows 7 DVD into your drive. Type the following at your command prompt. D:\ (Enter) This assumes that your DVD drive is "D" if not type in the correct drive letter that you have the Windows 7 DVD in.

when the Command prompt comes up type dir (Enter) Make sure it reads your DVD and you see the file setup.exe. Then all you have to do is type setup and then hit the enter button.

This will start the Install process of Windows 7. One thing you need to know you will get a choice to Upgrade or Custom Install. You must do the Custom Install. If you select the Upgrade option Windows will tell you that it will not allow you to use this option and it will terminate the process. To avoid this and having to start over just use the Custom Install choice. Then you will see an advanced tab or button. Click on that and select Format. Tell it YES and then the entire install process is automatic. You can leave the computer alone and it will do everything for you. The computer will re-boot a few times. Just enter your Product Key when it prompts you and the rest of your information and you should be good to go.

Enjoy!!

I really like this version of Windows. It is much faster than Vista. Most of the Vista features are still in Windows 7. But Microsoft really seeded things up. Very nice job and I will be looking for the full version due out in stores later this year.

Happy computing to all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I don't want to install it from XP if I can help it as I don't want it's boot loader on my XP drive. My plan is to use my BIOS F8 (boot menu) to select the OS (hard drive) when I want to play with Windows 7.
    What I was wanting to do was disconnect my XP drive and install win 7 to my blank second hard drive. To do that I have to be able to boot from the DVD and start the install. If I read your method correctly it would wipe my XP drive and install windows 7 in its place. Thats not what I want. Not yet anyway.

Win 98 disk

this is the the old win 98 disk problem in the old days the even older problem had no cd rom drivers there for the windows 98 start up disk on a floppy would work I believe that with xp you can make this isk and provide it with dvd for drives by right click on the the drive and then format create start up disk I believe this disk can be burnt to cd wish you and my old computers bios still has the drivers for ????????? anyone?????????

Too bad I didnt know in advance this clean install was BS because dont fool your self this custom install is in no way clean at all afterit part of website still there cant be clean computer says im not the admin but it says im the admin ???????? Thats not right and now im trying to ghoast back to xp to make a start up disk guess I will have to reinstall xp to make a startup disk.. Dumb never pays to have old stuff guess thats how the poor get smarter......

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cr...s-7-and-vista/

Hint do not Burn this to a DvD if your Bios can not drive the DVD reader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've burned a couple of those repair Cd's. I haven't tried to boot from one yet. I meant to but I lost my "round toit", =) I'll have to try booting from one on the PC that gives me the code 5 error. It would be interesting to see if I could boot from the repair CD and then swap in the W7 DVD and do the install. Right now I have to install XP and then do a custom install of 7 from a running XP.

I still get the code 5 error when I try to boot from the repair CD. It looks like the BIOS on that PC can't handle the Vista or Windows 7 boot loader that is on the CD/DVD. =(

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I still get the code 5 error when I try to boot from the repair CD. It looks like the BIOS on that PC can't handle the Vista or Windows 7 boot loader that is on the CD/DVD. =(
    Have you tried to boot other DVDs before? I'm in the same situation. It looks like your BIOS doesn't know what a bootable DVD is.

In that case, load Smart Boot Manager on a floppy, CD, or USB flash drive, and select "CD-ROM" option.
    http://rescup.winbuilder.net/bootdisk/
    Ultimate Boot Disk also has Smart Boot Manager.

I am now able to boot the Windows 7 DVD and do a clean install.
    Last edited by dawpa2000; 02-19-10 at 08:31 PM.

I can boot from boot-able CD-Rom's, installing XP is no problem. It's just the boot loader on the windows 7 media that my BIOS can't handle. I've got a new windows 7 PC now so I doubt I will ever want to put 7 on the one with the problem. I'll just leave XP on it until I retire it.