Thread: Amount of RAM For Today's Games

Hatchling

Post Amount of RAM For Today's Games

Ideally, how much RAM should your system have to play today's games? I'm talking about Hitman, Sacrfice, Quake III, etc. I know there are other factors like your CPU and video card, but how much is enough?

I have 256 MB in my system, and after Win98SE loads up, I have just about 200 MB left over(checking via the Advanced panel of the Display options).

How much is in your system?

glc1

256MB of RAM is all you will need, unless you do major photo editing, however, I have 512MB b/c the price was right on the last 2 sticks that I recently bought.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 12-02-2000).]

Omnipressive

Talking

256 is fine.

Its actually triple the standard, and games are made for STANDARD pc's right?

Get a GeForce DDR card though. It kicks everything up a notch.

Here are my comparisons.. BEFORE/AFTER...

450k6-2, 128mb Ram, ATI-All in Wonder PRO Video card: Quake 3, 800x600, I got around 15 fps.

I added another 128, and a 3D Prophet GeFORCE DDR-DVI, and I run Q3, at the HIGHEST detail quality/resolution (1600x1200) and I get around 150fps. Which is about 4x smoother than a television...

Good luck in your quest.
    -mAtt

------------------
    "We live on a placid island of ignorance in the mist of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."

Omnipressive

Talking

another thing..

I do HEAVY graphics/audio/video/multimedia manipulation, and I've found, that simply setting your Virtual Memory up 3 times what your ram is, does the trick. Hey, I got a large hard drive.. why not fool my computer into giving me a gig of ram! Without a GIG of a pocket book missing. Heh.
    -mAtt

------------------
    "We live on a placid island of ignorance in the mist of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."

glc1

Originally posted by Omnipressive:
    I added another 128, and a 3D Prophet GeFORCE DDR-DVI, and I run Q3, at the HIGHEST detail quality/resolution (1600x1200) and I get around 150fps.
    150 fps at 16x12 w/all eye candy on and an AMD K6-2? I don't think so. A GeForce 2 Ultra can barely do 40 w/a 1GHz CPU.

Amro

seriously heh..that's a gts2 ULTRA he's talkin bout. ya right, plus it's a k6-2. heh maybe at 640x480 w/ nuttin on w/ that processor and card u get 150.. MAYBE

Hatchling

Originally posted by glc1:
    256MB of RAM is all you will need, unless you do major photo editing, however, I have 512MB b/c the price was right on the last 2 sticks that I recently bought.
    Thanks for the confirmation. Still, with RAM prices being so cheap nowdays, it might not hurt for me to pick up another 128 for my system.

YARDofSTUF

i get about 150fps on doom 1

freckmoto

I just received an upgrade combo from a site that shall remain nameless. They gave me an extra 128 pc133 infineon accidentally in addition to the one the were supposed to give me. With an old stick of 64 that brings me up to 320 mb

Freckmoto

fubarman

I'm getting 512 Megs in my new system, it might be a bit overkill but it's better to be safe than sorry!! The price was right though.

-----------------

We Love you Jon