Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Another question. The PC that I would install this on does not have a DVD drive. Will that be a problem?
    The most common misconception still out there is that Windows 7’s hardware requirements are either the same as Vista’s or even higher. This is not the case at all. Although the minimum specs are the same as Vista’s, the OS runs much more smoothly than Vista does under the same hardware specs. Even so, it’s been three years since Windows Vista’s initial release so bearing the same minimum requirements as three years ago is actually not that big of a deal today. Here are the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 7:

1GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
    1GB of main memory
    16GB of available disk space
    Support for DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory (for the Aero interface)
    A DVD-R/W drive

SOL for me.

In thge process of installing windows 7 on a Dell GX270. Spare PC from Work. Daughter has been running Vista on one for about 8 months. No areo but everything else is decent. I have 1 gig ram in hers this spare pc is only 512. On board 64 shared video, on board audio and nic.
    We'll keep all posted.

Its a intel p4 2.4 gig.
    Main rig-AMD AM3 Phenom II 965,Asus M478T-E, 4gb DDR3 1600 ram, Intel Series 320 SSD 120gig, Velociraptor 300 gig, WD Blk 1tb deep storage, Sata Cd & DVD drives
    HomeServer-AMD 4600x2, Soltek 939 mb 2 gig Ram, 74 Gig Raptor, 500 gig WD Green storage

Do you have a DVD drive on this GX270?

Yes have DVD drive.
    up and running. All good but audio and video. Looked at daughters video driver for Vista. Its a intel 82865G Ver 6.14.10.4656 Trying to find it on the net. Intel site did not list it. Some others but not that exact version number.

For what she does. Some word programs, and net surfing(Blocked you tube)
    Hers runs great.

Audio is Sound max intergrated audio Ver 5.12.1.7000

Its up and running on a wireless n Belkin. Just have to get video asap. Very Hard working in VGA mode ......

Update...Audio updated from windows update. Still video..nogo. Intel site will not run version checker w/Win 7.
    Will keep plugging away.
    Just doing this for fun. HAve dual input on monitor so have this PC off to the side trying to make work and mess with win 7 some.
    Last edited by BOWTYE8; 01-20-09 at 07:46 PM. Reason: update
    Main rig-AMD AM3 Phenom II 965,Asus M478T-E, 4gb DDR3 1600 ram, Intel Series 320 SSD 120gig, Velociraptor 300 gig, WD Blk 1tb deep storage, Sata Cd & DVD drives
    HomeServer-AMD 4600x2, Soltek 939 mb 2 gig Ram, 74 Gig Raptor, 500 gig WD Green storage

The most common misconception still out there is that Windows 7’s hardware requirements are either the same as Vista’s or even higher. This is not the case at all. Although the minimum specs are the same as Vista’s, the OS runs much more smoothly than Vista does under the same hardware specs. Even so, it’s been three years since Windows Vista’s initial release so bearing the same minimum requirements as three years ago is actually not that big of a deal today. Here are the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 7:

1GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
    1GB of main memory
    16GB of available disk space
    Support for DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory (for the Aero interface)
    A DVD-R/W drive

SOL for me.
    There are instructions on the net for installing Vista from a flash drive, it might work for Win 7 too. That is if that PC can boot from USB. There is some leeway on those specs, my other PC that I installed win 7 on had less than 1 gig of ram.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    There are instructions on the net for installing Vista from a flash drive, it might work for Win 7 too.
    That's how I installed it.

Hmm, talking about the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 7 got me to thinking. Are the Windows 7 Capable stickers out yet?

Hmm, talking about the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 7 got me to thinking. Are the Windows 7 Capable stickers out yet?
    Maybe I am missing your point. You gonna try it on a weak system

Its running good on the 2.7 w 512ram. Just the VGA video on a 19" flat panel is a nogo.
    I cant make a default home page in IE. When I goto tools and pick use current. I have to drag the window up to see the apply button but when I let go of draggin the window up it re centers and the button is below teh taskbar. I cant hit apply

Will mess around more tonight.

I copied all the windows vista video drivers from my Daughter's exact style pc running Vista. Still a nogo for video. Jsut get basic VGA windows driver.

Cannot get it to load intel 82865G video drivers. Part of beta testing.......

Lol, it was meant as a joke. Microsoft is still feeling the heat from the Windows Vista Capable sticker fiasco. I guess I put the wrong smiley at the end, it should have been a
    Last edited by The Dude; 01-21-09 at 04:06 PM.

Both of the machines I installed on here at home ended up with the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" default windows drivers. I didn't have any problems with windows being off the screen though. I only have it running on the one machine now. It's running at 1024 x 768 on a 14 inch CRT monitor. Instead of dragging the open window go to an edge ,make it smaller, then move it.

Lol, it was meant as a joke. Microsoft is still feeling the heat from the Windows Vista Capable sticker fiasco. I guess I put the wrong smiley at the end, it should have been a
    I had a feeling you were being sarcastic....All good

Both of the machines I installed on here at home ended up with the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" default windows drivers. I didn't have any problems with windows being off the screen though. I only have it running on the one machine now. It's running at 1024 x 768 on a 14 inch CRT monitor. Instead of dragging the open window go to an edge ,make it smaller, then move it.

Best I can get is 640x480. for IE tools The IE options is a fixed window cant resize.
    From the same 22' Monitor my main rig is at 1650x1080 and then the Windows 7 rig a 640x480....Yikes!!!!!!!!

Do you really need a 4gb USB drive to install?

Do you really need a 4gb USB drive to install?
    The Windows 7 DVD is 2.43 gig so yeah you need at least a 4 gig thumb drive.

just to add, the 64bit .iso is 3.3GB

Quote Originally Posted by BOWTYE8 View Post
    Best I can get is 640x480. for IE tools The IE options is a fixed window cant resize.
    From the same 22' Monitor my main rig is at 1650x1080 and then the Windows 7 rig a 640x480....Yikes!!!!!!!!
    I was getting 1024 x 768 with just the default windows driver. I just installed the 96.85 forceware vista x86 drivers for my card and it now shows up as a GeForce FX 5500 in device manager. I'll have to play around with it now and see if I can get the Aero interface to work.

The Windows 7 DVD is 2.43 gig so yeah you need at least a 4 gig thumb drive.
    This is getting more complex.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Well I give up, I'm having nothing but problems now. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's two problems. One is any time I switch the power options after a minute or so my monitor goes black and the display won't come back no matter what I do. It's like the PC has locked up. I have to hit the reset button and reboot to get back in. All I wanted to do was to tell it not to go into sleep mode. The second problem is if I update my video drivers to either the vista drivers or the ones offered though windows update the PC locks up at the login screen. Once I type in my user name and hit enter the screen freezes with no mouse cursor. I have to say though I do like the recovery options you get when you boot from the DVD. Being able to run system restore like you are booted into windows is nice. But after running it twice already and with a third go pending I've had it with Windows 7 and I'm going back to XP.