Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    If the disc works in another PC odds are its fine.

The older mobo + usb drive sounds like the issue. Not all BIOS handle that well.
    must have missed the part where he said it worked in another PC

But for some reason a fast burn on a few of my DVD ISO's didn't work..had to slow it down. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    If the disc works in another PC odds are its fine.

The older mobo + usb drive sounds like the issue. Not all BIOS handle that well.
    I think it is a BIOS issue with my board. Some one can correct me if I am wrong but that error message is a BIOS error message not an error message generated by windows? There are a few other people getting this error with Windows 7. There is a thread on the Windows 7 beta forum about it. The best guess is a BIOS issue causing it.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    must have missed the part where he said it worked in another PC

But for some reason a fast burn on a few of my DVD ISO's didn't work..had to slow it down. *shrugs*
    Yeah, it worked on my really old PC with an internal IDE DVD drive. It was actually a snap to install it on that PC. It turned out to be a real pain to install it on my newer (but still old) PC. At some point I will likely burn another at slow speed and try it. I don't know, I've booted lots of disks from this PC with no problems. Acronis boot disks, ERD commander, Windows XP and I think Vista, I can't remember if I still had my internal drive in when I ran the trial of Vista. I think I'll dig that disk out and try it too. The way things are going I'll likely never run Vista or windows 7 on this PC anyway because I can't get all my hardware to work due to lack or drivers. I may be running XP for a long long time.

I just burned another DVD, this time at X6, my two options are X8 and X6. Still the same problem, but I think it's a problem with my PC not the Windows 7 DVD. I tried a windows Vista DVD and it didn't work either, not the same error though. I got the same looking for boot sector on CD message but it just went to the next drive instead of putting up a code 5 error. I'm thinking my BIOS can boot from a CD in the USB drive but not A DVD? Is that possible? XP boots fine from this drive and installs OK.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
    My win 7 version boots awfully slow. Is that the case for anyone else? It takes my PC from pushing start button on PC to actual desktop 3 min and 50 secs. When I first push on start button I get to a blinking cursor and it stays there for 2 minutes. Anyone know why this is happening?

thx
    Could any of these in event viewer be causing this?

At startup and in event viewer I see this error (The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SASDIFSV, SASKUTIL). After a half an hour into using PC I get this error (The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.) 2.5 hours into use of PC I see this error (The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.)

Those are the errors I see.

thx
    Last edited by 24giovanni; 01-19-09 at 03:59 PM.

I'd bet the (The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SASDIFSV, SASKUTIL) has something to do with it. My guess is those drivers aren't compatible with windows 7.

EDIT: Looks like those files are associated with Super Anti Spyware. If so un-install it and see what happens on the next boot-up.

SG Enthusiast
    Uninstalled my printer. Issues I am getting in event viewer now are:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x0016765AEDDD.
    The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    SASDIFSV
    SASKUTIL

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
    Gathering Writer Data

Context:
    Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
    Writer Name: System Writer
    Writer Instance ID: {2d415d0f-ea1a-4fe8-b8b4-136a4853515a}

Faulting application name: msiexec.exe, version: 5.0.7000.0, time stamp: 0x49431c33
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7000.0, time stamp: 0x49433e67
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0007f6d6
    Faulting process id: 0x8b0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01c97a7f423c74ac
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 80ac3063-e672-11dd-a95f-0016765aeddd

Any help is appreciated.

thx

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I'd bet the (The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SASDIFSV, SASKUTIL) has something to do with it. My guess is those drivers aren't compatible with windows 7.

EDIT: Looks like those files are associated with Super Anti Spyware. If so un-install it and see what happens on the next boot-up.
    It wouldn't install. I received BSOD When I did. Maybe I can search for them and delete them. Question is where is the search for files and folders in win 7 /Vista since I am new to this OS?

The problem might be that windows is looking for them and can't find them.
    Check the startup folder first and delete the shortcut if its there.
    If not run msconfig and look for them under the services tab and startup tab.
    If you find any entries for them remove the checkmark.

The other way to do it is to run regedit and check
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    or
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If the app has a service, edit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
    and scroll down till you locate it. Then delete it.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post

Used win explorer to find SASDIFSV, SASKUTIL which had to do with super anti spyware. It is not compatible with win 7 so I deleted them. rebooted and still received the same error.

thx

See my previous post above.

SG Enthusiast
    I used this option

"If the app has a service, edit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
    and scroll down till you locate it. Then delete it."

And deleted SASDIFSV, SASKUTIL. I also used the find option for SASDIFSV and it found a copy called legacy_SASDIFSV. Should I delete that as well and all other options of SASDIFSV I find and the same for SASKUTIL?

Please let me know.

thx

You can do it that way and it "SHOULD be safe. If you kill the wrong service though it could be a drag, just be carefull. You might want to export that key before you do any edits. Msconfig is safer you but I personally use regedit more often than not.

SG Enthusiast
    before I delete anything else. I rebooted and no longer am I getting the error. Thx. I appreciate that. Any idea why my PC takes 4 mins to boot up? I looked in msconfig and didn't see anything there.

thx

Thats an age old question? Could be a lot of things. How many icons in the tray next to the clock do you have? System specs?

SG Enthusiast
    All errors I was getting in event viewer are now gone. PC still takes 31/2 to 4 mins to boot up. Anyone have any ideas why?

thx

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
    All errors I was getting in event viewer are now gone. PC still takes 31/2 to 4 mins to boot up. Anyone have any ideas why?

thx

Too much spyware?

SG Enthusiast
    n/m...thx
    Last edited by 24giovanni; 01-19-09 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Too much spyware?
    Well that is a good point...its hard to say how many security holes there are with this OS at this point. It would be safe to say that you shouldn't be using this computer you have it on to purchase anything, view your bank account or anything else that requires sensitive passwords.

SG Enthusiast
    Can I see preview thumbnails without Aero? My graphics card doesn't support Aero. Also, When I use task scheduler to launch a program, it launches it as minimized. Is there a way to launch it maximized? If so, how, please?

thx