Thread: change dedicated ram to vidio

scoottentootten

Question change dedicated ram to vidio

i have a monorail pc with a 366 PII(c) and 96M of ram and my pc says that 8M of the ram is dedicated to vidio. Will increasing that amount give better vidio quality on games like rogue spear? If it will how the heck do i increase the ram to vidio? Any sugestions will very appreciated. And thnx for the help!

Recordlord

Smile

You will need to go into your bios. At boot up you will need to tap a certain key mine is F10. I have a Compaq. On some systems it is the delete key. Just find your key then get back with me. Once you get in to the bios it is pretty easy to figure out. Just dont change something you know nothing about. Atleast that is my rule of thumb for screwing around with stuff. :-)

TonyT

You can allocate more ram to video if your bios supports it. Usually there is a limit. Check w/ manufacturer's support site. But if you want more video for gaming or something them go out & get a better graphics card & keep your precious ram for app speed & net speed. Ram is probably the single most important factor related to your computer's speed & performance.

Axgrinder

sounds like onboard video, only suggestion I have is disable the vid and get a new card.

scoottentootten

its hard to find a good upgrade card because i have no agc slot to put an upgrade vidio card in. i went into my bios and couldnt dedicate any more than 8. if anyone knows how to change the bios any more or if i can change to a totaly new bios(i dont know if the bios is part of the motherboard or if it can be changed i know some about computers but not that much)
    any more help i can get would be very helpful.
    and thankyou for the help i already got thanks.

Battleship

There is the V3 3000 in PCI format on the market. A very fast card that is relatively cheap. Maybe not a bad option. As far as the BIOS chip, it is specific to your motherboard and cannot be swapped for a different one that will give you more features. BTW, in my experience guys, playing around with AGP aperature size in the BIOS does not make a huge difference. Some cards manufacturers advise users to set it relatively small, so I wouldn't go nuts trying to make it go higher.

scoottentootten

Originally posted by Battleship:
    There is the V3 3000 in PCI format on the market. A very fast card that is relatively cheap. Maybe not a bad option. As far as the BIOS chip, it is specific to your motherboard and cannot be swapped for a different one that will give you more features. BTW, in my experience guys, playing around with AGP aperature size in the BIOS does not make a huge difference. Some cards manufacturers advise users to set it relatively small, so I wouldn't go nuts trying to make it go higher.
    thanks ill have too look for that card. the integrated card in the game works good unless i turn up the vidio grade then it looks great but makes the game choppy but thanks again for hte info