Thread: Really Stuck

Unhappy Really Stuck

Hi all,

I have come across something really weird and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to correct this..

Prior to changing, I had motorola cable modem, feeding a Linksys router. On my network I have 4 computers and a server that is also a PDC. That server runs Domain logon, DNS, Mail, HTTP and has 6 shared drives.
    I just switched to Vonage and added the vonage modem to the network. The sound quality wasn't the greatest as my network now looked like this.. Cable modem --> Linksys ---> Vonage modem.

So, I decided to get the Rogers SMC router/modem combo to kill one hop. My network now looks like this. SMC --> vonage. Sound quality is much better now.

I have taken the SMC router and configured it the way I need it. All the port forwarders are in place and all looks good. Problem I am facing is I cant see my webpage on my server!
    From any PC I can type 192.168.1.50 and the page comes up. Trying www.mydomain.com does not! It gets even better.. Anyone outside my network can hit the server. Im getting mail in and sending out no problem!
    I try to cmd prompt and ping mydomain.com, times out. I try to ping my "WAN" IP address and it times out! I can ping yahoo.com without any problems.

I didn't change anything in DNS. This should have been all plug and play with some modifications.. Its almost as the router won't let me ping or access it from inside the network.

I have tried this all with and without the vonage router.. It doesn't even play a role really but I tried it. I even restored the router to factory. Just tried to ping the WAN ip and I couldn't.

Everything worked mint before removing the Linksys and adding the SMC. Is there anything that I missed along the way here??

Thanks in advanced
    Last edited by Shawson; 01-07-09 at 03:54 PM.

Sounds like the router is not using the local dns server.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    SMC probably does not support "loopback". This is when an internal resources tries to access something else internal via the external address. So traffic goes out.and then tries to come back in.

I have a couple of those SMC gateways in service..but I'm not using their NAT, I'm using the IP mapping feature to map additional public IPs from their block to my own routers.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for the quick reply guys.. I checked and I do have my server as the Prime DNS configured on the router. The loopback is something I didn't consider. Im going to do a google search on that and see what I can find. That would make sense.. I cant see why SMC would do that though, but who knows..

Thanks again!

Yep.. I think that is the problem.. No loopback ( I found some other poor bugger with the same problem http://text.dslreports.com/forum/r20...ng-in-SMC-8014

So, now im stuck! Go back to the linksys. Go back to Bell (not a chance) or just use the IP address of the server to access the pages

At least I know what the problem is...

Thanks fellas!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Which model Linksys router did you have?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I used the WRT300N. Its a great router but just a tad slow on VOIP. Im still considering going with a WRTP54G that has VIOP, router and gateway all in one. That would probably clean up the voip issues completely and get me back on track with the routing. I don't think I am going to like this SMC..

Right now I'm running vonage behind my Linksys WRT350N without any issues but I have it flashed with DD-WRT firmware. I used to use Untangle for a firewall and had no problems then either. Only time I had minor voip issues was with my old Linksys RV042 router and that was also when I was using cheap 5-port Gb switches. I run an SBS server, a file server, 3 desktops and 2 laptops on my network. Everything is connected via a 3COM 4400 series managed layer-3 Gb switch.

I've even hooked up the vonage line, which is converted to analog by the vonage device, and then plugged it into a Linksys SPA400 (which converts it back to VoIP on the LAN) and ran it through my SPA9000 VoIP PBX and it works fine.

Look into DD-WRT.. it should work with your router. http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru