Canon PowerShot G10

Anyone have this camera?

Canon PowerShot G10
    14.7 MP
    5X Zoom

Any good?

Stats

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091702canon_g10.asp
    Last edited by Debbie; 01-07-09 at 04:45 PM.

I love Canon cameras. My personal opinion is that you can go with something that has lower megapixels and a better zoom if you are looking at taking pictures of far off items.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

Distance is not a concern for me though.

I decided to buy this one today. It will be delivered to my job on Friday.

I could not stand that stinking old Samsung Digimax 530 battery eating piece of crap that I have.

Now all I have to do is resolve the problem with my computer that I posted in the hardware forum and I will be good to go.

Next item on my shopping list for 2009 - a large flat screen monitor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Distance is not a concern for me though.

I decided to buy this one today. It will be delivered to my job on Friday.

I could not stand that stinking old Samsung Digimax 530 battery eating piece of crap that I have.

Now all I have to do is resolve the problem with my computer that I posted in the hardware forum and I will be good to go.

Next item on my shopping list for 2009 - a large flat screen monitor.

If your Canon is anything like the Kodak Z1285 p&s I've got, you'll have a lot of fun with it
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post

If your Canon is anything like the Kodak Z1285 p&s I've got, you'll have a lot of fun with it
    This camera will get me out of the house!

Now you know I will be taking all kinds of random shots with it to experiment.

Blog Entries
    This camera will get me out of the house!

Now you know I will be taking all kinds of random shots with it to experiment.
    The best shots are random shots
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Expected ship date is Friday. I guess I will get it on Monday.

I'll take some NYC shots during lunch hour.

Blog Entries
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=17630

I like the G-series and the larger sensor, but having the extra zoom and movable view screen is a G-dsend.

The G1 had the movable screen and it allowed for photos from many different angles.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

You will need a Flickr account now.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tao_jones View Post
    You will need a Flickr account now.
    ------

Well, I got the camera today. I don't have a steady hand at all. I need to do some serious practice. I took the following shots at Grand Central Station while I was waiting for my train. I know that there is a lot more I can do with this camera. The pics did not come out like I thought.

Nice shots Deb

You say they didn't come out as you expected...what were you expecting?

A few good tips here: http://www.easyphotography.info/tips...tal-camera.htm

Thanks for the tips humby!

Thanks for the tips humby!
    There's a video that has some pointers but I can't find it, of course.

Basically illustrates how most people hold the camera incorrectly and, just with the motion of pressing the shutter, move the camera enough to blur their shots.

Instead of holding the camera away from your body practice holding the camera with both hands and tucking your elbows close together and in against your chest, forming a tripod with your arms. Looks funny but your shots will show the difference.

Also...take shitloads of pictures I can easily take 200 shots in an afternoon. When I get home I normally have a few that I really like.

Thanks Humby. It's been a long time since I got into taking pics. The last time I got into photography was when I was working with that Yashica Minister D and my Canon AE-1 35 mm cameras. I still have them, but have not used them in years.

I am going to spend some time this weekend to learn how to use this camera manually.

I took some interesting shots of the skyscrapers this morning on my way in to work. I'll post them later.

Here are a few more on my way in to work this morning and one of my office.

Last edited by Debbie; 01-13-09 at 09:45 PM. Reason: grammar lol!

Blog Entries
    I like the angles of the high rises Don't have too many buildings like that around here to shoot pictures of.

Have you heard of the rule of thirds? It helps with composition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I like the angles of the high rises Don't have too many buildings like that around here to shoot pictures of.

Have you heard of the rule of thirds? It helps with composition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
    Thanks Indy....as time goes by, I'll get better.

oww, nice shots! Love the angles of the skyscrapers, nothing like that around here either, damn.

Indy makes a good point, which they illustrate towards the bottom of the page in my link. Naturally please the eye, just like you

That third shot is awesome!

Just got back from the marsh, ran over there after work for some sunset shots. Still looking at the images.