Thread: Time Warner and Bright House cable could lose 19 channels tonight because of contract

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Time Warner and Bright House cable could lose 19 channels tonight because of contract

I saw a black banner scrolling on "noggin" this morning as my 2yr old was watching one of her kids shows.. It was from Viacom saying that Time Warner and Bright house cable customers should call their respected companies or you might lose 19 channels tonight, like noggin, vh1, mtv ECT... Thought it was a hack or hoax, but it is true. I guess if they don't agree to a contract, Time Warner is going to just put 19 different channels in the line up.. which ticks me off seeing out I got their "package deal" with DVR so my daughter can watch "Dora the Explorer", and other kids shows.. Hmm.. maybe a class action lawsuit for 2009?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4585385.story
    With a midnight deadline looming, Viacom Inc. and Time Warner Cable Inc. exchanged shots in their high-stakes contract dispute that could leave millions of cable customers searching in vain for "Dora the Explorer," "SpongeBob SquarePants," or Jon Stewart.

"Christmas is over, but Viacom is still playing Scrooge, threatening to pull its MTV Networks off of Time Warner Cable at midnight tonight unless we ask our customers to pay exorbitant price increases," Time Warner Cable Chief Executive Glenn Britt said today in a statement.

Viacom has demanded that Time Warner Cable pay an extra 12% to carry its package of 19 channels including MTV, VH-1, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, Spike and TV Land. Time Warner has refused, saying the increase amounts to an additional $39 million a year on top of the hundreds of millions of dollars that it already pays Viacom.

"Huge price increases like what Viacom is demanding threaten the ultimate value of cable TV," Britt said.

Barring a last-minute New Year's Eve resolution, Viacom plans to withhold its programming beginning at midnight when the two companies' current contract expires. Viacom has placed newspaper advertisements, with a tearful "Dora the Explorer," and is running TV spots encouraging customers to call Time Warner cable to complain.

Nearly 2 million households in the Los Angeles area would be affected in the programming blackout. Time Warner has 12.3 million subscribers nationwide.

Time Warner is Horrible.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

and when you call TW it says to call the local number.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    and when you call TW it says to call the local number.
    I called the main 1-800 number this morning and got a help desk person that basically said that if the contract was not finalized by midnight, time warner would just replace the 19 different channels. I ask if I would be able to get a discount seeing how I'm pretty sure that I signed a 2yr contract with them for that channel line up and I don't remember this "switch-er-roo" thing being listed in the T.O.S.

I got the uh.. well.. response back.. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    I called the main 1-800 number this morning and got a help desk person that basically said that if the contract was not finalized by midnight, time warner would just replace the 19 different channels. I ask if I would be able to get a discount seeing how I'm pretty sure that I signed a 2yr contract with them for that channel line up and I don't remember this "switch-er-roo" thing being listed in the T.O.S.

I got the uh.. well.. response back.. LOL
    that is a hell of an idea. i am going to call and ask for a discount and then if they say they cannot give me a discount then i will ask them for DTV's phone number.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Just build a HTPC and stream the shows off the internet. Until you hit the bandwidth cap at least...
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Just build a HTPC and stream the shows off the internet. Until you hit the bandwidth cap at least...
    then you just steal someone elses wifi.

"I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

Blog Entries
    HooRay!

Shortly after agreeing to extend a midnight deadline by an hour, Time Warner Cable spokesman Alex Dudley said the sides agreed on a new contract.

I'll be canceling my TW cable if it goes through and isn't back quick.

Sounds a little like the Big Ten Network shenanigans...

FWIW... It's 1am EST and I still have Noggin, Nick, MTV, Spike, etc.

Anyone lose them? I figured they'd get it sorted before midnight.

Time will tell.

Blog Entries
    ^
    Shortly after agreeing to extend a midnight deadline by an hour, Time Warner Cable spokesman Alex Dudley said the sides agreed on a new contract.

Hmm.. maybe a class action lawsuit for 2009?
    No grounds.

Cable Networks affected:

Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite
    MTV
    VH1
    Spike
    TV Land
    Comedy Central
    Noggin
    MTV2
    VH1 Classic
    Logo
    MTV Hits
    MTV Jams
    MTV Tr3s
    Nick Too
    Nicktoons
    The N

I can live without them if it means ANOTHER increase in my pricing. I've had all I can stand with this crap from TWC.

Time Warner Cable, Viacom Reach Agreement in Principle

Networks Will Continue to Be Available On All Time Warner Cable Systems

NEW YORK, Jan. 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC) and Viacom (NYSE: VIA and VIA.B) jointly announced this morning that they have reached an agreement in principle to renew carriage for Viacom's MTV Networks. The companies expect to finalize the details of the agreement over the next several days.

Glenn Britt, President and CEO of Time Warner Cable said, "We are pleased that our customers will continue to be able to watch the programming they enjoy on MTV Networks. We are sorry they had to endure a day of public disagreement as we worked through this negotiation."

Philippe Dauman, President and CEO of Viacom said, "We've been partners with Time Warner Cable for a long time, and we're happy to be renewing that partnership for the benefit of their customers and our loyal viewers. It's gratifying that we could reach an agreement that benefits not only our audiences but that is also in the best interest of both of our companies."

SOURCE Viacom
    -0- 01/01/2009
    /CONTACT: Alex Dudley of Time Warner Cable, +1-917-886-8053,
    alex.dudley@twcable.com; or Carl Folta, +1-917-992-7690,
    carl.folta@viacom.com, or Kelly McAndrew, +1-646-725-7428,
    kelly.mcandrew@viacom.com, both of Viacom; or Carole Robinson,
    +1-917-860-5891, Carole.robinson@mtv.com, or Mark Jafar, +1-646-239-6530,
    Mark.jafar@mtvstaff.com, both of MTV Networks/
    CO: Viacom; Time Warner Cable
    ST: New York
    IN: ENT TVN
    SU:

CC-MH
    -- LATH003 --
    1676 01/01/2009 02:54 EST http://www.prnewswire.com
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

My daughters would have flipped if they turned on the TV and there was no Noggin or Nickelodeon. They would have gone over to the local TW office and hand delivered the boxes themselves.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

^

Boy I just can't wait for yet another rate increase under my "Price Guarantee".
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    No grounds.
    When does that stop anyone from filing one?

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    When does that stop anyone from filing one?
    Never, but it does stop some from winning lol