Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metallica - Ride the Lightning Gold Remaster

Metallica - Ride the Lightning Gold Remaster

Again, PM me for the url.

For me, this is one of the best. The vocal work on Escape is absolutely brilliant and until this remaster, you really couldn't hear the full mix or the beauty of the effects on the mix.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

This is beautiful, I only skipped through a couple tracks as I have to head out but you can hear much more detail in certain parts of Ktulu.

Love the extra base towards the end of Escape with Lars' drums.

Yes, it's nice!

Ok guys rookie audio question. I don't mess around much with Flac files. Can someone tell me what program I need to listen to them?

Btw DH sometime here in the next couple of weeks I want to talk with you on the phone and have you teach me some things regarding burning my CD's into the flac format which I am guessing you guys think is the way to go?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Ok guys rookie audio question. I don't mess around much with Flac files. Can someone tell me what program I need to listen to them?

Btw DH sometime here in the next couple of weeks I want to talk with you on the phone and have you teach me some things regarding burning my CD's into the flac format which I am guessing you guys think is the way to go?
    I use VLC player, it pretty much plays anything I throw at it...

www.videolan.org/vlc/
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post

www.videolan.org/vlc/
    Ahh okay yeah I have that program, but don't use it much. Thanks for the info.

Foobar works as well as Winamp but I think you have to have a FLAC plugin for Winamp.

Call me anytime, Roody. I'm off till Friday. lol

Ok thanks DH. Btw, just to get ready to do this what program should I use to burn CD's into the flac format?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post

www.videolan.org/vlc/
    Yeah it's a good player. You can boost the speaker output a bit too above what your PC can do...can help on some laptops.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Foobar for FLAC for me, plus i have my masterof puppets EQ setting for it lol

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    This is beautiful, I only skipped through a couple tracks as I have to head out but you can hear much more detail in certain parts of Ktulu.

Love the extra base towards the end of Escape with Lars' drums.

At 2:30 on Escape,

See them try to bring the hammer down
    No damn chains can hold me to the ground

I can now hear the lyrics in bold and the effects chain on them.

Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    At 2:30 on Escape,

See them try to bring the hammer down
    No damn chains can hold me to the ground

I can now hear the lyrics in bold and the effects chain on them.
    I can hear that on the CD as well, though on the remaster, the hammer hit effect trailing off after the hit is clearer. The biggest difference I notice between the remaster and my CD are the symbols.

I can hear that on the CD as well, though on the remaster, the hammer hit effect trailing off after the hit is clearer. The biggest difference I notice between the remaster and my CD are the symbols.

DCC explained:

The development of the DCC 24k gold collection is based on the theory that one can manufacture a perfect compact disc. A disc that will reproduce the sound of a "classic recorded performance" without the digital harshness and errors created by irregularities in the aluminum plated surfaces of some ordinary compact discs. DCC 24k gold discs unlike aluminum discs do not tarnish or oxidize, providing a lifetime of listening pleasure. This is a product of space age technology combined with sympathetic digital mastering techniques. The discs themselves are custom manufactured and gold plated in 24k gold. The DCC gold mastering technique takes the first generation two-track original master and uses it to do the digital transfer. LP equalized tape copies and dubs are not accepted. The master is played back on a specially reconstructed vintage tube reproducer that utilizes the proper "original recording curve" technology. The signal goes in a direct path to the digital master, bypassing all unnecessary circuitry. Without any further sonic manipulation, the master is shipped directly for etching onto the glass surface by laser. The end result of this unique manufacturing process is a compact disc with the warm sound of the original master tape combined with a disc whose surface is free of any type of defects or imperfections.

Ok thanks DH. Btw, just to get ready to do this what program should I use to burn CD's into the flac format?

The file is already in FLAC. Most proggies that will play them, you can set them up to decode back to wav. After that, just burn to CD.

I"m not sure but I think that Nero, recognizes FLAC. If so, it will decode the FLAC files and burn to CD if you tell it to burn as a audio disc and not data.

Actually I just tested this. Nero will decode them for you. Just make sure to specify you want an audio disc.

About DCC. Of course it's defunct now.

Here's the real deal. It's not the gold that's important at all. It's that Steve Hoffman did the engineering on them. That translates to a lot better transfer from analog to digital. The guy is the master without a doubt. The gold is really just the icing on the cake.

Hoffman's CD's don't use any noise reduction or compression. He may make the audio louder but the dynamics are still there.

MFSL actually started the idea but with those titles, it's hit or miss. Not all of them are better sounding than the original release of the album.

Actually what I am saying DH is I want to take my CD's and burn them on to my computer in the flac format.

Actually what I am saying DH is I want to take my CD's and burn them on to my computer in the flac format.
    http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_tasks.html

Download FLAC for windows installer then follow the second link to setup EAC for FLAC.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_tasks.html

Download FLAC for windows installer then follow the second link to setup EAC for FLAC.
    Thanks YoS

Thanks YoS
    If you get it setup and want to go extra geeky, and have 2 CD roms and a dual core CPU, make separate copies of the Flac.exe and two folders of EAC and directing each to their own Flac.exe.

Then load up each EAC and set affinity to CPU0 for one and CPU1 for the other and you can rip 2 CDs at once

Sure...Pm me
    got old