Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Metallica - Ride the Lightning Gold Remaster

  1. #1
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941

    Metallica - Ride the Lightning Gold Remaster

    Again, PM me for the url.


    For me, this is one of the best. The vocal work on Escape is absolutely brilliant and until this remaster, you really couldn't hear the full mix or the beauty of the effects on the mix.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  2. #2
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,001
    This is beautiful, I only skipped through a couple tracks as I have to head out but you can hear much more detail in certain parts of Ktulu.

    Love the extra base towards the end of Escape with Lars' drums.

  3. #3
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Yes, it's nice!

  4. #4
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Ok guys rookie audio question. I don't mess around much with Flac files. Can someone tell me what program I need to listen to them?

    Btw DH sometime here in the next couple of weeks I want to talk with you on the phone and have you teach me some things regarding burning my CD's into the flac format which I am guessing you guys think is the way to go?

  5. #5
    Certified SG Addict Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    25,529
    Blog Entries
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Ok guys rookie audio question. I don't mess around much with Flac files. Can someone tell me what program I need to listen to them?

    Btw DH sometime here in the next couple of weeks I want to talk with you on the phone and have you teach me some things regarding burning my CD's into the flac format which I am guessing you guys think is the way to go?
    I use VLC player, it pretty much plays anything I throw at it...

    www.videolan.org/vlc/
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I use VLC player, it pretty much plays anything I throw at it...

    www.videolan.org/vlc/
    Ahh okay yeah I have that program, but don't use it much. Thanks for the info.

  7. #7
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Foobar works as well as Winamp but I think you have to have a FLAC plugin for Winamp.


    Call me anytime, Roody. I'm off till Friday. lol

  8. #8
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Ok thanks DH. Btw, just to get ready to do this what program should I use to burn CD's into the flac format?

  9. #9
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I use VLC player, it pretty much plays anything I throw at it...

    www.videolan.org/vlc/
    Yeah it's a good player. You can boost the speaker output a bit too above what your PC can do...can help on some laptops.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  10. #10
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,001
    Foobar for FLAC for me, plus i have my masterof puppets EQ setting for it lol

  11. #11
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    This is beautiful, I only skipped through a couple tracks as I have to head out but you can hear much more detail in certain parts of Ktulu.

    Love the extra base towards the end of Escape with Lars' drums.

    At 2:30 on Escape,

    See them try to bring the hammer down
    No damn chains can hold me to the ground


    I can now hear the lyrics in bold and the effects chain on them.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  12. #12
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,001
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    At 2:30 on Escape,

    See them try to bring the hammer down
    No damn chains can hold me to the ground


    I can now hear the lyrics in bold and the effects chain on them.
    I can hear that on the CD as well, though on the remaster, the hammer hit effect trailing off after the hit is clearer. The biggest difference I notice between the remaster and my CD are the symbols.

  13. #13
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I can hear that on the CD as well, though on the remaster, the hammer hit effect trailing off after the hit is clearer. The biggest difference I notice between the remaster and my CD are the symbols.


    DCC explained:

    The development of the DCC 24k gold collection is based on the theory that one can manufacture a perfect compact disc. A disc that will reproduce the sound of a "classic recorded performance" without the digital harshness and errors created by irregularities in the aluminum plated surfaces of some ordinary compact discs. DCC 24k gold discs unlike aluminum discs do not tarnish or oxidize, providing a lifetime of listening pleasure. This is a product of space age technology combined with sympathetic digital mastering techniques. The discs themselves are custom manufactured and gold plated in 24k gold. The DCC gold mastering technique takes the first generation two-track original master and uses it to do the digital transfer. LP equalized tape copies and dubs are not accepted. The master is played back on a specially reconstructed vintage tube reproducer that utilizes the proper "original recording curve" technology. The signal goes in a direct path to the digital master, bypassing all unnecessary circuitry. Without any further sonic manipulation, the master is shipped directly for etching onto the glass surface by laser. The end result of this unique manufacturing process is a compact disc with the warm sound of the original master tape combined with a disc whose surface is free of any type of defects or imperfections.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  14. #14
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Ok thanks DH. Btw, just to get ready to do this what program should I use to burn CD's into the flac format?

    The file is already in FLAC. Most proggies that will play them, you can set them up to decode back to wav. After that, just burn to CD.

    I"m not sure but I think that Nero, recognizes FLAC. If so, it will decode the FLAC files and burn to CD if you tell it to burn as a audio disc and not data.


    Actually I just tested this. Nero will decode them for you. Just make sure to specify you want an audio disc.

  15. #15
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    About DCC. Of course it's defunct now.

    Here's the real deal. It's not the gold that's important at all. It's that Steve Hoffman did the engineering on them. That translates to a lot better transfer from analog to digital. The guy is the master without a doubt. The gold is really just the icing on the cake.

    Hoffman's CD's don't use any noise reduction or compression. He may make the audio louder but the dynamics are still there.

    MFSL actually started the idea but with those titles, it's hit or miss. Not all of them are better sounding than the original release of the album.

  16. #16
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Actually what I am saying DH is I want to take my CD's and burn them on to my computer in the flac format.

  17. #17
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Actually what I am saying DH is I want to take my CD's and burn them on to my computer in the flac format.
    http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

    http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_tasks.html

    Download FLAC for windows installer then follow the second link to setup EAC for FLAC.

  18. #18
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

    http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_tasks.html

    Download FLAC for windows installer then follow the second link to setup EAC for FLAC.
    Thanks YoS

  19. #19
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Thanks YoS
    If you get it setup and want to go extra geeky, and have 2 CD roms and a dual core CPU, make separate copies of the Flac.exe and two folders of EAC and directing each to their own Flac.exe.

    Then load up each EAC and set affinity to CPU0 for one and CPU1 for the other and you can rip 2 CDs at once

  20. #20
    SG Enthusiast Think's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    2,283
    Sure...Pm me
    got old



Similar Threads

  1. Metallica - MoP Gold Remaster
    By JawZ in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-08, 10:25 PM
  2. Streaming HD via xbox 360
    By triniwasp in forum Console Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-08, 10:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •