Thread: Quantum CX 13GB

Angry Quantum CX 13GB

hey everyone... i'm wondering why my Quantum CX 13GB drive won't support DMA .. ???
    when i go into system settings and put a checkmark in the lil box for DMA and then i reboot ... i check again and there's no check mark... I currently have two drive Quantum 13Gb and a Samsung 4GB....the funny thing is the Samung 4GB support the DMA and has the check mark in the box and it's an old drive too.???
    I use the program HD Tach it lists the Quantum as being a GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE46 and also the Samsung as a GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE46 too... I ran the test and Qauntum came out with a max read of 7 MB/s while the Samsung {with the check mark in system properties} came out 26+MB/s... and CPU unitilze was only 4%..
    and the Quantum had a 96%
    Any how i open up my comoputer and saw that only one main cable which connects both drives.. is this correct...??? the CD-Rom has cable of it's own... and also the floppy drive has a cable of its own...
    So is there something wrong with my Quantum drive.. ??? should i stwich or something witht the cables to enable the DMA for the Quantum drive????
    Please help
    thanx ALL!!

I...... AM.......... CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

make sure you're using the newest driverz for your IDE controller card and that DMA is enabled on your HD, check out Quantum'z website

Angry

Yes, I did enable DMA for both hard drive but when ever i put a check mark in the system properties for DMA and then reboot...my computer and check and the check mark is gone i read that this mean my Quantum doesn't support DMA???? it should rite???

This thread has been moved to Computer Hardware

Obelix

Lightbulb

Check
    1. Are you using a 80-pin cable on your 1st IDE port ? Probably not, itīs not even necessary if you donīt go beyond UDMA/33, but several Quantum drives are reported to behave weird with a simple 40-pin cable, so buy a 80-pin cable (10$)

2. What type of controller are you using ? I suppose, itīs a on-board model, so if it is at least a HX or FX, it supports DMA-0/1 at least. The problem is, several older BIOS types only recognise DMA-0/1 and UDMA/33. The Quantum 13 Gig is a UDMA/66 model, thus not recognised by the old BIOS and handled as a PIO mode 4-drive.
    Voilā! Get a new BIOS or set the drive manually to DMA/33 so the old BIOS recognises it. You can find a tool to accomplish this task at <A HREF="http://www.quantum.com
    God" TARGET=_blank>www.quantum.com
    God</A> luck!

------------------