Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Auto bailout collapses in Senate

Bush Considers "Orderly'' Auto Bankruptcy

The Bush administration is seriously considering "orderly" bankruptcy as a way of dealing with the desperately ailing U.S. auto industry.

"The president is not going to allow a disorderly collapse of the companies," White House press secretary Dana Perino said Thursday. "A disorderly collapse would be something very chaotic that is a shock to the system."

But, she added, "There's an orderly way to do bankruptcies that provides for more of a soft landing. I think that's what we would be talking about."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...pStoryHeadline

Interesting article. And it seems to back up the idea of GM and Chrysler merging as being bad.

Is it just me or is Dana Perino sexy

Anyone care to photoshop that boom mic?
    got old

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post

Anyone care to photoshop that boom mic?

Just what, prey tell, is an orderly bankruptcy? Good god..

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Just what, prey tell, is an orderly bankruptcy? Good god..

Let me know if you find out.
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

Yeah it doesn't make a bit of sense. Chapter 11, tons of people get hurt, including suppliers who will probably have to claim chapter 7 by the time it's done. Gone, kaput. Most economist paint a pretty dismal picture of GM, if they do claim chapter 11, simply because their part suppliers will all be gone. That means chapter 7 for GM, sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post

Very! 5'1" tall. Sweet little thing!
    Last edited by MadDoctor; 12-18-08 at 06:31 PM.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post

Very! 5'1" tall. Sweet little thing!

You know her personally, don't you! You dog......

Bush to Give Low-Interest Loans to Carmakers

Auto Loan Plan Will Be Announced By President Bush at 9 a.m. ET.

The loans come with strings attached. The automakers will need to restructure, getting tough concessions from creditors, suppliers and the labor union. The key phrase from the White House will be "viability."

The money is expected to come from the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program.
    It was only a matter of time.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    On the news last night, one of the suppliers that builds steering columns for Chrysler up here in CT is shutting their doors first of the year. Workforce of about 600 jobs in that area.

Yeah it doesn't make a bit of sense. Chapter 11, tons of people get hurt, including suppliers who will probably have to claim chapter 7 by the time it's done. Gone, kaput. Most economist paint a pretty dismal picture of GM, if they do claim chapter 11, simply because their part suppliers will all be gone. That means chapter 7 for GM, sooner or later.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Bush to Give Low-Interest Loans to Carmakers

Auto Loan Plan Will Be Announced By President Bush at 9 a.m. ET.

It was only a matter of time.
    I think I can handle this decision as long as they get right concessions but knowing for example how the UAW reacted to that the other week this should get interesting.

I see the new retirement plan for us federal guys now includes stock in Chevy... replacing our 401K.

WTH?!?!?!?!?!?!
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

UAW this, unions that. Good grief.

Really it's how the south acted. It just sad that as a country, we'd let business fail because of party lines or boundaries. In this case, the south against the north.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Civil war never exactly ended.

You're aware that even the Euro, is more united in protecting their own industry than we are? That says a lot for Corker and crowd when they'd work to protect their own states before they'd work to protect their own nation.

Stuff like this isn't helping DH:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4667156.shtml

Couric: Having said that, UAW members average 42 paid days off a year, including five weeks of vacation and 17 holidays. Do you think, Mr. Gettelfinger, this may seem excessive in light of current economic conditions and the condition of the U.S. auto industry right now?

Gettelfinger: Well, you know, I would like to compare that to the Congress of the United States, but I won't do that. What I will say to you is this: We have made it unequivocally clear that as long as all stakeholders are willing to come back to the bargaining table, we're willing to be there. We're willing to do more.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

What isn't helping? The news not covering both sides of the coin, like exactly why those Senators from southern states trying to break the UAW or a slanted question by Couric, knowing full well that the UAW is willing to bargan but she needs to appease the mass that's she's indeed willing to ask tough questions as long as those quesitons don't raise the hackles of hard core Fox viewers who already hate her? lol

I dunno...but no matter the news stories about it all, this will always get overlooked.

What I will say to you is this: We have made it unequivocally clear that as long as all stakeholders are willing to come back to the bargaining table, we're willing to be there. We're willing to do more.
    I would guess that if you take away enough perks, there won't be a reason to be a member of the UAW.

What's next? My guess is they'll go after retirement dates.

Then after that, the truckers union and then unions representing railroads.

We aren't far right now from the days of the robber barons.

I stand by my original post that indeed, there are those in power who would rather work for their states than the country as a whole and it's not really the UAW as much as it is, bringing down industry in the north as it means more bucks in their respective states. The UAW gambit is just a smokescreen.

If the UAW is so willing to bargan why didnt they last time they met?

The auto industry needs to smack the UAW around a little. Tell them look, your gonna conceed on some things or more new plants are going up in Brazil and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    If the UAW is so willing to bargan why didnt they last time they met?

The auto industry needs to smack the UAW around a little. Tell them look, your gonna conceed on some things or more new plants are going up in Brazil and the likes.

Yard, you've been in a union. Who says they weren't willing. Corker was asking an unrealistic concession. There was no way the UAW could have taken a vote on it in two hours. Corker new that. Again, it was nothing more than a smoke screen.

You seem to also think that the UAW hasn't made any concessions. The truth is, they've made quite a few over the last few years.

Then again, it's that "biased liberal news agenda" at work here again. They are doing such a bang up job, giving everyone a "balanced" source of news on the issue that like WOMD people are just not educated on this issue. Most people just think the UAW is at fault for the whole mess.

Yard, you've been in a union. Who says they weren't willing. Corker was asking an unrealistic concession. There was no way the UAW could have taken a vote on it in two hours. Corker new that. Again, it was nothing more than a smoke screen.

You seem to also think that the UAW hasn't made any concessions. The truth is, they've made quite a few over the last few years.

Corker was involved with the talks for the UAW to delay the VEBA payment?

The UAW has lsot track of who the hand that feeds them belongs to.

Yes I'm pro union, but that doesn't mean I'll support all unions, the UAW has shown bad form.