Thread: Belkin N1 Wirless Network Problem!!?

Belkin N1 Wirless Network Problem!!?

Hi all,

I'm having problems getting my Belkin wireless network running correctly.

I have a Belkin N1 Wireless Router connected to my cable modem and 2 desktop PC's both with Windows XP Pro and both with Belkin N1 USB wireless network adapters installed. Both pcs can access the internet through the router so there's no problem there.

My problem is that the 2 pcs can't see each other over the wireless network! I've tried all different settings on the router but all to no avail. As well as using the internet I want to be able to share files and printers and play network games over the 2 pc's. I paid a lot of money for this hardware so surely it must be capable of sharing and network gaming!

I have set up the Workgroup name (workgroup) correctly on each of the computers but whenever I try to connect through My Network Places, windows gives me an error message stating that the workgroup is not available!

I really am pulling my hair out now!! Please can someone help before I go totally bald!

Thanks

Dan

First thing you need to check and make sure that you have the Client for Microsoft Networks & File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed on both your machines wireless NICs. Right click your My Network Places and go to properties. From there right click the wireless NICs and go again to properties. In there you will see the list of items associated with it. Make sure those two things are checked.

Once your sure that is all set right click on your My Network Places and use Search for Computers... You can then enter in the other computers name and it should eventually find the other computer. Once you have found other computer a few times, SMB can be funny like that, it will auto-discover it and populate your My Network Places folder automatically.

Hi YoshiMon,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing is listed and ticked on both Wireless PC's.

I have done what you advised and still I have no luck! The icon for the pc I was trying to connect to did show up once when I clicked on "View Workgroup Computers" but when I clicked on the PC's icon I got the following Error message: \\PC_2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator (me lol) of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.

Very strange because I'm always logged in as an Administrator!

Any other ideas....?

Dan

Ah, well finally you need to have access to a shared resource on the other computer(s). Make a folder on your desktop then right click it to get to your properties. You can then go to the Sharing tab and share that folder. There will be a wizard if it's your 1st time doing so and using it is not a bad thing.

By default XP also has a share folder setup but I never use it, in fact I disable it, so I don't remember exactly where it sits. Might be in the My Documents folder iirc. But it will only show up once you turn on sharing with the wizard.

Hello again Yoshiman,

ah I hate to say this but I have already shared both pcs entire C drives (just for testing purposes that is), but I still can't access either of the pcs over the wireless network.

I'm normaly quite good at this sort of thing. I have set up small home networks before ant not had this problem though I have only had ONE wireless pc (which conected to a wired network) before. On the box it did state the minimum requirements as at least one pc with a Network Interface Card. I assumed that was just for initially configuring the router via a wired patch cable as some routers ship with the Wireless component defaulted to off. So if the wireless feature is off it can only be enabled by physically conecting to the router.

Surely the USB N1 wireless adapters aren't just made for accessing the internet only via the N1 wireless router are they??!!

Totally confused...

Well am I the total fool lol

Just found out what it was. Some things (even the obvious you just don't allways see) It was my firewall blocking the network!!!! I have Kaspersky Internet Security Suite installed. Just disabled it and gues what? Yes it worked like a dream!!!

Thanks afor all your input mate

Dan