Thread: Cannot access Remote Desktop + Assign a PC an IP

Question Cannot access Remote Desktop + Assign a PC an IP

In our network I can access a computer that I have remote desktop setup on... But a company in Texas cannot access it via IP address.

I assume I need to call my ISP and get another static IP address, then assign that static IP address to a local static IP address that only the remote desktop computer has priveledges to.

How would I go about doing this? I already have the additional IP address now...

In fact we have 3 static IP's from our DSL company...

Our setup goes from DSL modem > Apple Time Capsule > Linksys Switch > Remote Desktop PC

Does anyone know how to get this to work so when I give the company in Texas my IP address, they can get into the remote desktop PC?

Thanks all! Hope someone can help me out.

Few questions about your network:

You have DSL modem -> ATC -> Wireless network
    -- Is anything on this wireless part of the network? Is the network here bridged at all or just a standard NAT?

You also have DLS modem -> ATC -> LS Switch -> Cabled network
    -- Is the ATC setup to be again a NAT here or just bridging the modem such that your cabled computers are getting the static IPs?

I'm not that familiar with the ATC but if I know anything about Apple hardware it's flexible enough to do a goodly number of things. You should be able to somehow bridge the PC in question out to your DSL modem to get a real IP.

[QUOTE=BAD311;2248264]In our network I can access a computer that I have remote desktop setup on... But a company in Texas cannot access it via IP address.

You need to forward port 3389 (through your router) to the static IP of the computer you are trying to reach. You don't need additional WAN static IP's.