Thread: Odd network problem (establishing connections?)

Odd network problem (establishing connections?)

Hello!

I have a fairly odd network problem which so far no one has been able to help me with, so I thought I'd try here. I run XP.

Basically, my problem is really slow load times for websites. I have a fast connection (100 mbps fiber), and everything works well for all the other computers in my home.

I had some weird problems with my router, not only this but also some other things such as connections dropped abruptedly, but only for specific computers, and so on. However, while getting a new router fixed all the other problems, this one persisted. I've noticed that I get the same problem in other home networks, too.

The strange part is that even with those problems, I get consistently high transfer speeds (however, it seems that with Bittorrent connections aren't made to very many peers even for large torrents). Also, when I bring my computer, which is a laptop, to school and use it in the school network through their proxy, these problems are largely eliminated. These things have led me to believe that something goes wrong when connections are being established (but even that's purely speculation from my side!).

I've had this problem for quite some time, so sadly I can't backtrack to when the problems begun or what caused them. I've done adjustments to the TCP stack earlier, but I have reverted all changes. I've also run Windows Update, reinstalled SP3, and run the "Winsockxpfix" program which was linked to in another topic here, but to no avail still.

I've tried both cable and wireless connection, but I get the same problems no matter which.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for reading!

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Well check to see the router firmware is up to date ,and the ports for all your appliacations are mapped in the firewall to allow the apps to get connected to the net.

If you are running xp firewal in control panel advanced ,and check the frist two boxes for icmp traffic not allowing ping ,or wan requests to get though can drop ya. Check the router to see if wan ping is being allowed or not.

If your network cables are old try replacing them especially on the one to the modem to the rotuers wan port.

The manual ips shoudl help with the drops as well
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177
    the bit torrnet could be caused by this http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...event-id-4226/
    Comptia a+ n+

Thanks for the answer!

I am not running Windows Firewall. (in fact, I am not running any firewall at all)

Thing is, even connecting to the router interface is slow, both wireless and by cable. I tried doing it from another computer in the network and the interface loaded in fractions of a second, as it should.

if your router has a wan port duplex setting change it to 100 check the documenation of the router it could be that the wan port doesn't support Update the network card drivers try forcing them into a 100 full instead of auto sensing see if it helps
    Comptia a+ n+

Quote Originally Posted by mccoffee View Post
    if your router has a wan port duplex setting change it to 100
    Done!
    check the documenation of the router it could be that the wan port doesn't support
    Checked, it does support 10/100 Mbps.
    Update the network card drivers
    Done!
    try forcing them into a 100 full instead of auto sensing see if it helps
    Done also.

Sadly, to no avail. Problems are just as prominent as before.

Bear in mind also that on the same network are one other wired computer, two other computers running 802.11g, and one other computer running 802.11draft-n, all through the same router, and there are no internet or network problems at all for those computers. Any ideas?

Use b and g only my guess is from what i heard a few manufactures did the n draft a little differently ,so it could be that on device is made by one man with on type of the n standard ,and the router is made with something a little different in the n..

Could be wrong it's worth a shot if you have cordless phones nearby try changing chaneels or changing of the channel the router broadcasts on either way..

If you are running xp on those machines this could part of the drops
    http://paininthetech.com/2005/10/25/...in-windows-xp/

This last link is if it's still not working it has further steps could help you root it out

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457017.aspx
    Comptia a+ n+