Thread: Giving USB more ram?

ir8pir8

Lightbulb Giving USB more ram?

Im need to allocate more RAM to my USB so I can run my Cable Modem input thru it without it freezing my machine?

Can anyone show me the light?

iraTe

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: iraTe piraTe ]

first you need to find the IRQ of your USB adapter.

Right click the My computer Icon, goto properties. then Device Manager. find your usb adapter. go into the properties of that, then system resources, then interuppt request will be like # 12 or something. Mine is #12.

THen open your system.ini file

Find the
    [386Enh] section

then like at the bottom of it, or anywhere in that section, put this line:

Irq12=4096

12 would be the IRQ # of the USB adapter, and 4096 = 4MB of memory allocated to that. 4 to 8MB should work out well.

HOw much RAM do you have in your comp anyway, it shouldn't freeze your computer up, sounds like not enought RAM, and your comp freezes up because it can't handle the load. If you have like 64MB of RAM, I'd stay away from putting extra RAM for your USB, then your total system resources would only be 60MB of RAM, like mine, I have 288MB of RAM, so 4MB for my NIC doens't hurt it.

Talking

Hey DRDOUG99. I've never heard of that tweak. I am sure it works. I'll give it a try when I get home. So, I can pretty much use that tweak for any IRQ? I've got 512 megs of ram and allocating it sounds like something that may come in handy.

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice

First of all, allocating your ram with 512 would be a waste of your time in my opinion. You wont see any speed increases, however it shouldnt hurt either.

The biggest reason usb2 was devolped was for broadband companies. when usb2 becomes widely available, companies wont have to spend people out for new subscribers. The reason most companies dont use it now is because it's unstable and slows down the connection. Instead of playing around, buy a networking card. They are often less then 15 dollars and VERY easy to install. In fact, windows has drivers for most of them on the market so they'll just be plug and play. It'll be the BEST 25 dollars you've ever spent. USB takes up system resources too, while networking your high speed connection frees up your processor. So, 15 for the nic and 10 or so for the networking cable. Good luck.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

Talking

Yea, that tweak works, I got 4MB of RAM allocated to my NIC...actually I DID, but I just installed Windows 2000 server on my comp, so haven't done much tweaking yet.
    I found that tweak right here at Speedguide for the WIn98 tips, there's not an improvement that I can see, but it doesn't hurt anything either, so try and see.