Thread: Wired and Wireless together?

Wired and Wireless together?

Hi all. I have a typical home network with cable modem and wireless router.My computer in the basement is wired to the router. 3 other computers upstairs connect to router wirelessly. My router is a dlink wbr-2310. What i want to do(if possible) is plug my pc(it has 2 nics)directly into cable modem. Then plug the wireless router into the other nic so the upstairs computers can access the internet wirelessly. The reason for this is i do not want my pc connected to a router for online gaming but still need the other comps to have internet access. I tried doing this using ICS but was not able to get it working. Is this even possible?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    It's possible, but it will be clunky and unreliable as heck, plus...your PC plugged directly into the cable modem will be on a public IP address, no longer protected by the routers NAT firewall...so, open for trouble and infestation (which will be worse for your gaming since your PC will be a mess).

Why is gaming bad behind this router?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I recently purchased call of duty world at war and when im behind the router i cannot host a server or co-op game, no matter what i try...port forwarding..dmz..static ip...it will not work. If i connect pc directly to modem..everything works great. I'm not too concerned about being exposed to the outside world...it seems this game needs a public ip to work...or a better router.

Sounds like you have to check the ports you need to have open/forwarded. When people try to connect, do they connect to your IP directly? If so, your correct WAN IP address?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

As far as i know the only ports needed are tcp 28960 like all cod games. And i did forward those. When i try a dedicated server...the server console shows the game is running on the internal i.p. which is obviously wrong. I'm gonna try a different router(any suggestions?) if that dont work..the rest of the family is s.o.l when it comes to internet

The server will show the internal IP by default..which is expected..that is due to NAT.

I cannot remember if there was a spot in the servers config file to change it to the public IP address that your router gets? If you point your web browser to www.whatismyip.com
    That's your current public IP address (subject to change every now and then based on your ISP..could last for a week or a month)

I remember some more ports needed...gamespy 'n such related.
    I tried some Google searches..can't find much on COD WAW yet....but I'm sure some server setup guides will arrive in due time, as the game just came ou.

So far I found this bunch of ports ....
    3074 3074 UDP
    28960 28960 TCP/UDP

28900 to 28970 - TCP and UDP

20500 to 20510 - TCP and UDP

20600 to 20610 - TCP and UDP

27900 - TCP and UDP

GameSpy Custom UDP Pings TCP & UDP 13139 13139
    GameSpy Master Server UDP Heartbeat TCP & UDP 27900 27900
    GameSpy Master Server List Request TCP & UDP 28900 28900
    GameSpy Connection Manager & Search TCP & UDP 29900 29900
    GameSpy GP Search Manager TCP & UDP 29901 29901
    GameSpy Query Port TCP & UDP 6500 6500
    GameSpy Dplay UDP TCP & UDP 6515 6515
    GameSpy Voice Chat (optional) TCP & UDP 3783 3783
    GameSpy IRC chat (optional) TCP & UDP 6667 6667

Call of Duty CD Key Validation UDP 20500 20500
    Call of Duty Master Server Monitoring / Browser UDP 20510 20510
    Call of Duty Master UDP Port UDP 28960 28960

Now...for the computer that will run as your server.....it needs to have a static LAN IP address to forward the ports to.....either created manually such as in this guide..
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177
    Or...DLink routers commonly allow you to create DHCP reservations...and that's easier.

Also make sure no other 3rd party firewall..including Windows one, are blocking the above ports. Note that it does take time for your server to broadcast its heartbeats to the master server..and appear in the game server browse list.

When your buddies try to connect to you...do they connect to you directly with your PUBLIC IP address? (the one that shows up from www.whatismyip.com)
    Guinness for Strength!!!