Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is America turning into a big fat slob?

The biggest reason for weight gain in this country is convenience and that for the bottom end of the money pool, the best ratio of protein vs money spent if you eat out, is fast food.

Eating healthy is generally more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by R0cke113 View Post
    I'm just looking for peoples opinions on the subject. I put my own personal story out there to try to get my point across a little more clearly. This same thing happens to so many Americans. Our life expectancy is going higher by the day while our healthy life expectancy stays about the same. I just wonder why people don't care about being healthy at all.
    Americans are LAZY . it is less work to think about it than do something about it.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    The biggest reason for weight gain in this country is convenience and that for the bottom end of the money pool, the best ratio of protein vs money spent if you eat out, is fast food.

Eating healthy is generally more expensive.

laziness
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Really, Gixxer? True people don't get as much exercise but then most are busier than they were 20 years ago.

I wouldn't call a couple, who between them, work 100 hours a week, lazy. True there are heavy people from all walks of life who could do a lot better and studies show that there is some gain by Americans to loosing weight.

Do some research and you'll see that indeed, my post has some relevance.

Really, Gixxer? True people don't get as much exercise but then most are busier than they were 20 years ago.

I wouldn't call a couple, who between them, work 100 hours a week, lazy. True there are heavy people from all walks of life who could do a lot better and studies show that there is some gain by Americans to loosing weight.

Do some research and you'll see that indeed, my post has some relevance.
    i don't need to research to know that your words are correct in that we are busier today. my wife and i live what you are talking about. the key words are "they could do better." whatever word you want to fill in with "lazy", then go ahead. if they can and don't, it is laziness/unmotivated or whatever you want to call it.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

I've already given you one example. It's more expensive to eat better. If you're poor, that's not exactly a bonus.

I've already given you one example. It's more expensive to eat better. If you're poor, that's not exactly a bonus.
    it is not that much more (if at all) expensive to eat better. it boils down to what do you want and what are you willing to do for it.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

I agree 100%. While laziness does play a role, $$$ plays a bigger factor. I'm heavy into the gym and try to eat as healthy as I can but sometimes $$ does play a role in what I buy. Supermarkets like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's that specialize in organic and healthy foods are a lot more $$$ than your regular ole supermarkets.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

You're both right. Convenience and money both come into play.

Consider a hamburger. Which is easier, a Whopper from BK or a hand formed patty from grass fed buffalo with a home made bun and a slice of organic mozzarella? Clearly, the guy making the home burger is gonna miss the evening news and will probably spend an extra buck or two on his meal.

In the end, I lean towards laziness being a bigger factor. It's rare that a person can't find the time to exercise if he really wants to. Lunchtime at my work is a good example; my peers spread across the city filling their guts with processed food, while a couple of us play racquetball or run intervals at the local track. A quick lunch of yogurt, almonds and a cliff bar at my desk works just fine.
    When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoNut View Post
    You're both right. Convenience and money both come into play.

Consider a hamburger. Which is easier, a Whopper from BK or a hand formed patty from grass fed buffalo with a home made bun and a slice of organic mozzarella? Clearly, the guy making the home burger is gonna miss the evening news and will probably spend an extra buck or two on his meal.

In the end, I lean towards laziness being a bigger factor. It's rare that a person can't find the time to exercise if he really wants to. Lunchtime at my work is a good example; my peers spread across the city filling their guts with processed food, while a couple of us play racquetball or run intervals at the local track. A quick lunch of yogurt, almonds and a cliff bar at my desk works just fine.
    consider you don't want a tire belly. what do you do. nothing or something. most americans choose to do nothing which has nothing to do with convenience or money.

well it may be more convenient for them i guess. (to do nothing)
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

I think you're oversimplifying it, Gixxer. It's a lot more complicated that that for some people.

There's a lot of evidence that genes play a big part in this and again, it's more expensive to eat healthy.

Then again, there's convenience. I eat at a Subway all the time and the only drawback is it takes a lot more time to get your food vs a Burger King or a Micky D's.

Convenience plays a large part in this.

Of course as you pointed out, being lazy can also be a factor but it's no where close to the only reason.

Like I said, do some research.

I think you're oversimplifying it, Gixxer. It's a lot more complicated that that for some people.

There's a lot of evidence that genes play a big part in this and again, it's more expensive to eat healthy.

Then again, there's convenience. I eat at a Subway all the time and the only drawback is it takes a lot more time to get your food vs a Burger King or a Micky D's.

Convenience plays a large part in this.

Of course as you pointed out, being lazy can also be a factor but it's no where close to the only reason.

Like I said, do some research.
    well, i need weight i put it on. if i need to lose, i lose. i know it is not as easy for everybody.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Some has to do with education, but most has to do with dedication. There is minimal motivation to go to the gym and no motivation to educate yourself and be healthy even as far as taking a low quality multi-vitamin. While it won't do a lot for you it is a real great start in the right direction.

The Carls Jr. Six Dollar Guac Burger is solely responsible

Wow is that a real label because that would be actually a semi-healthy sandwich if not for the pounds not grams of fat in it.

Wow is that a real label because that would be actually a semi-healthy sandwich if not for the pounds not grams of fat in it.
    It's real - http://www.carlsjr.com/menu/

The fat is bad, but the calories and sodium are also rather impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    well, i need weight i put it on. if i need to lose, i lose. i know it is not as easy for everybody.

What reasons do you have to put on weight....and then to lose it?

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

The calorie thing is primarily a big ploy. Calories are nothing more than a total count of all ingredients. 1 g of fat is 9 cal. and 1 g of protein and carbs are each 4 cal. The significance of this information is that while you have been led to believe calories are bad they are very indifferent. 80 calories from fat are bad while the same from protein is good. Your body needs more than the RDI of protein anyway. A g of protein requires your body to burn approx. 3 calories to break it down into glycogen, which is what all carbs basically fall apart into. Glycogen is basically the sugar in your blood.

Table sugar basically turns into glycogen with little to no effort by your body while protein requires it to burn cals. to do so. This is why the high protein diets work. The down side is that proteins burn dirty creating free radicals which are created regardless protein just creates a few more. To get rid of free radicals it is important to consume LOTS of antioxidants basically through supplement to get the full variety and enough. All extra glucose/glycogen your body doesn't need at the moment is turned to fat.

There are good and bad carbs. Before a long distance run or a intense workout you may want some bad carbs for some quick energy. Otherwise you want to consume as much high glycemic index carbs as possible. High glycemic index carbs are similar to protein in that when broken down by the body they require more energy to be digested. Therefore you are burning calories just by eating.

The human body can not digest cellulose so for the most part any raw or steamed vegetable is basically just pushed through your body. You still get a lot a nutrients from fresh as well as MUCH needed fiber. Down side a lot of fruits and veggies have a bit of natural sugars in them so that can add some bad carbs, but they can not be avoided just limited. Basically just limit your simple sugars, table sugar, candy, honey (rich in b-vitamins), any pre-packaged juice. A more comprehensive list can be found simply by googling glycemic index.

The calorie thing is primarily a big ploy. Calories are nothing more than a total count of all ingredients. 1 g of fat is 9 cal. and 1 g of protein and carbs are each 4 cal. The significance of this information is that while you have been led to believe calories are bad they are very indifferent. 80 calories from fat are bad while the same from protein is good. Your body needs more than the RDI of protein anyway. A g of protein requires your body to burn approx. 3 calories to break it down into glycogen, which is what all carbs basically fall apart into. Glycogen is basically the sugar in your blood.

Table sugar basically turns into glycogen with little to no effort by your body while protein requires it to burn cals. to do so. This is why the high protein diets work. The down side is that proteins burn dirty creating free radicals which are created regardless protein just creates a few more. To get rid of free radicals it is important to consume LOTS of antioxidants basically through supplement to get the full variety and enough. All extra glucose/glycogen your body doesn't need at the moment is turned to fat.

There are good and bad carbs. Before a long distance run or a intense workout you may want some bad carbs for some quick energy. Otherwise you want to consume as much high glycemic index carbs as possible. High glycemic index carbs are similar to protein in that when broken down by the body they require more energy to be digested. Therefore you are burning calories just by eating.

The human body can not digest cellulose so for the most part any raw or steamed vegetable is basically just pushed through your body. You still get a lot a nutrients from fresh as well as MUCH needed fiber. Down side a lot of fruits and veggies have a bit of natural sugars in them so that can add some bad carbs, but they can not be avoided just limited. Basically just limit your simple sugars, table sugar, candy, honey (rich in b-vitamins), any pre-packaged juice. A more comprehensive list can be found simply by googling glycemic index.

Are you no longer in South Korea?

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    I'm seeing the opposite these days. Many of my friends are getting into great shape and cutting out the fat.

Trying to sell something? Where's the link to your store?
    I agree...IMO the health kick has been on the rise. I see more people out walking then ever, or running, or biking. One sees healthier foods everyone, even the "fast food chains" are doing quite a bit.

People seem more aware of healthy foods, more "trendy" things are on the rise such as anti-oxidants, (acai berry juices, etc).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!