Thread: pci to pci-e x16

pci to pci-e x16

I've seen some riser cards that plug into a pci slot and converts it to pci-e 16x and was wondering if they would really work for video cards?

Tks
    Rick
    Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.

I cant imagine they would work well. AGP came about so it could cary more bandwidth than PCI did, and PCIe was suppose to carry even more bandwidth than AGP, so how is a PCI slot going to provide enough for PCIe?

Tks YardsofStuff

Kinda figured that out after I'd posted.

How about an extender for pci-e? One that would plug into existing pci-e and have 2-3 additional pci-e slots? Would the band width handle that or not?

Tks
    Rick
    Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.

Quote Originally Posted by rickoic View Post
    Tks YardsofStuff

Kinda figured that out after I'd posted.

How about an extender for pci-e? One that would plug into existing pci-e and have 2-3 additional pci-e slots? Would the band width handle that or not?

Tks
    Rick
    if you were to split a PCIe x16 into like 4 x4 slots ya I guess so, but there would be a lot involved to make that work within a case/setup.

Why do you need so many slots?

During my surfing I saw one riser card that took a pci-e and it had 3 slots made from the 1 that were also pci-e slots making the 1 into 3.

Was thinking about doing that so that I could put some of the gnu folding video cards there and have 3 folding instead of just 1. Would be cheeper than replacing a motherboard to do it.

Tks
    Rick

Any gpu worth folding on is gonna take power, powering 3 in one system would require a nasty PSU.

Just how nasty are we talking about?

600W or higher?

Tks
    Rick

what kind of GPUs are we talking about?
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

GeForce 8800 GTS or around that range. Don't have one yet so don't know what the power requirements are on them.

Tks
    Rick

Well the wattage shouldnt be more than 150-180 per card, but not sure about the amps needed.

So 450-540 Watts. As the only other thing drawing anything would be the motherboard, cpu, hard drive, and cdrom. Would a 625 Watt power supply suffice, assuming the amps were also alright?

Tks
    Rick

Just check on one and here are amps:
    3.3 @ 30A
    5 @ 55A
    12 @ 19A
    12V2 @ 19A
    12V Combined @ 35A
    Last edited by rickoic; 11-05-08 at 03:09 AM.

I think your 12v1 is too low. probably needs to be 25-30A so most likely a PSU with a large single 12V rail.

Overall I don't think its a good idea.

Your up early Yards; but 5 A.M. where your at.

As my sig says; "The only DUMB question is the one you don't ask" so heres another attempt to delve into your masterly book of knowledge.

I've been reading a little about PCIe and have seen a couple of posts about people running a video card (2nd or 3rd, sometimes both) on a motherboard using the 4x and 1x slots. Now I know that the 1x, 4x, etc, means the number of paths of information passed back and forth between the card and the motherboard, so thats not the question.

The question is, do they use the same type of card that you put into a 16x slot and put it into the 4x or 1x slot and just downsize the number of paths for passing information?

Tks
    Rick

If its an older slower card that needs only 1x 2x or 4x it can fit into a 16x slot, but a 16x card cant fit in a 1x 2x or 4x slot.

If you look at newegg images you'll see that the connection for the cards gets bigger as the PCIe *x increase.

Found this information at http://slizone.com for Nvidia cards (GeForce)

Ultra High-End SLI PC*:
    You must have a power supply that can provide a minimum of +12V @ 75A of dedicated power for the three graphics cards. Of this 22A requirement, +12V @ 5.5A must be available to each of the PCI Express 6-pin auxiliary power supply connectors. The remaining 11A must be supplied to the motherboard for dedicated graphics card use.

High-End SLI PC*:
    Minimum of 500-600W Power Supply with a minimum of +12V @ 30A for all PC components.

Mid-Range SLI PC*:
    Minimum of 450-500W Power Supply with a minimum of +12V @ 26A for all PC components.

Entry-Level SLI PC*:
    Minimum of 400-450W Power Supply with a minimum of +12V @ 22A for all PC components.

Now for a look at all the SLI certified equipment (everything from A-Z) look at this site.
    http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_ecosystem.html

Tks
    Rick

I also found out that a 4X PCIe slot it the minimum size that a board can be installed in and still receive and send the amount of data required for folding. And that for SLI you need to have the same type of card (8800GT and 8800GT) although they can be from different manufacturers. Different memory sizes are ok, but for SLI not recommended.
    Last edited by rickoic; 11-05-08 at 02:40 PM.