Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: New politics & religion sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    I don't know if you are a premium member or not but this forum would only be able to be viewed and posted in by premium members.

So it would remove the mob mentality of watching.
    yes, I keep my prem membership going,I just pay for it,no big deal,it's easy,I just use my fun money in my PP account.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    What about that freedom of speech ?
    you cant say whatever you like or someone may be offended

need we post smilies ?

you been drinking again?

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

how is that limiting it?

Just because we have topic separation doesn't mean free speech can't ensue.

Why do you have a separate automotive forum from the gen forum? Is that limiting free speech? No....it enhances it imo.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

how is that limiting it?

Why do you have a separate automotive forum from the gen forum? Is that limiting free speech? No....it enhances it imo.

Philthy may mean if you have to "pay" for premium membership you in turn pay to have a voice in the forum eh.

so its not really free f*cker

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Philthy may mean if you have to "pay" for premium membership you in turn pay to have a voice in the forum eh.

so its not really free f*cker

I don't pay for my premium membership....I write articles which gives me one month for each article published.

But even with a free membership, you agree to have your speech limited....like no F bombs. no p0rn, no animal sex, no pics of poop, etc.

no pics of poop, etc.
    thats sh*tty
    I really dont know why I post here? I suppose its just to create an archive for those little beasts my wife calls children to read about the old man one day

thats sh*tty
    I really dont know why I post here? I suppose its just to create an archive for those little beasts my wife calls children to read about the old man one day
    I know dude,that sucks,I wish we could post pics of poop

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    yes, I keep my prem membership going,I just pay for it,no big deal,it's easy,I just use my fun money in my PP account.
    Gotcha.

BTW, I am sorry for being an A-Hole towards you. You deserve an apology so I'm giving you one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    No, it's not a business in the context DH suggested. I am not paying for any service nor am I receiving anything. It's a public forum just like 1000's of others. Don't fool yourself into believing this place is something special because it isn't.....it's just one out of a million. Thank him? You've got to be joking? You know just as well as I do that banning me wouldn't prevent me from posting.
    I've worked to bring this site from nothing to what it is today, as little as it may be in your eyes. It has taken a lot of efforts, research, money and sweat to get here. We serve 5-6 Million pages monthly to about 1 Million unique users.

You may not value it as a service as the forums are not unique, it may not be anything special to you, but you can try to have the decency to acknowledge those efforts.

The site started out of me sharing my own research into TCP/IP optimization, which was published for free 10 years ago (instead of me developing a program and selling it). The SG broadband tweaking information has been recommended by TechTV, Business Week, The Washington Post, Maxumum PC, etc. Many sites have recommended, copied, used and surpassed SG in membership in those years, however I still hold a bit of pride in having provided some service to the broadband community. The site makes some money from advertising, however there were a number of years where I had supported it financially and with my time to provide all the information on the main site for the benefit of users.

Regardless, I don't expect any gratitude, or your respect. There are certainly a number of places you can go and express yourself.

I can, however ask you to follow the forum rules and post your opinions in a civil fashion. The rules were put in place for the benefit of all users, and you stated you agree to them when you registered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I know dude,that sucks,I wish we could post pics of poop
    found a pic of 2 little turds

Ban my ass

Gotcha.

BTW, I am sorry for being an A-Hole towards you. You deserve an apology so I'm giving you one.

found a pic of 2 little turds

Ban my ass

Blog Entries
    how is that limiting it?

What I meant is... If we forbid political discussions in the General Forum and move it to a limited access "premium" forum that would make it inaccessible to the majority of non-premium users. There are also a number of readers who do not register or post that still benefit from the information on the forums.

What I meant is... If we forbid political discussions in the General Forum and move it to a limited access "premium" forum that would make it inaccessible to the majority of non-premium users. There are also a number of readers who do not register or post that still benefit from the information on the forums.

But wouldn't that benefit the site and yourself? More premium members and more articles being written for SG? Maybe the people who don't register or post are scared of what they see in the gen forum. Without having hard stats in front of me, I can't say for sure what goes on in political threads.

I don't know what else to say Phil....I'm an optimist. I could be all wrong, it could fail miserably but it would be a transparent failure and it would be just one click away from deletion.

Blog Entries
    I've toyed with the idea of making a private forum for premium members as well, just not necessarily a private political forum. My idea is that discussions should generally remain public. Controversial discussions may also prompt people to register and participate, more so than not seeing them. Let me think about all the points that were brought up here.

You have a point that there is probably no need for a separate automotive forum :shrug:...

Not to hijack the thread again, but Izzo is banned for repeated offensive behavior in public and blatant insults of mods in private, disregarding previous warnings/temp ban, etc.

I've toyed with the idea of making a private forum for premium members as well, just not necessarily a private political forum. My idea is that discussions should generally remain public. Controversial discussions may also prompt people to register and participate, more so than not seeing them. Let me think about all the points that were brought up here.

You have a point that there is probably no need for a separate automotive forum :shrug:...

Not to hijack the thread again, but Izzo is banned for repeated offensive behavior in public and blatant insults of mods in private, disregarding previous warnings/temp ban, etc.

I was using the automotive forum as an example....by no means was I suggesting that it's not needed. I think it's fun for those that are interested in that sort of stuff.

I thought that only applied when dealing with government.
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

here a little humor for all this political bickering. My brother-in-law sent me this. I haven't done it yet but it looks like you can take a MSN video report and add your name to the story.

here is the link he sent me. His name is Fred Britt. I found it funny.

http://www.cnnbcvideo.com/index.html...655317-x0OLiSx

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar

Now that's a "shocker".
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    Fair enough.....Sg is getting killed simply by competition. There are a hundred other sites that provide the same services....only better and without the child like (it's my ball and my rules if you don't like it....) BS. There's a reason sites like MySpace, Facebook, Reddit and Digg and the chans are so popular and I assure you it's not because everyone is 'civil'. Some people need to grow some thicker skin and stop being such wussies. I mean, do the mods really think an infraction will make someone think twice before posting? I expect that kind of conditioning to work with children....not adults.
    Though it is unfair to comment without his ability to offer a rebuttal, this is a bit of odd post. Forums start as part of a Q/A for an information site. In the case of SG, broadband communications. As a sojourner of a myriad of such sites, I can assure everyone, administrators all have their acumen. Stormfront is one of the largest forums on the web, and it is not for tolerance. SomethingAwful bans members almost as fast as new ones sign up.
    Striking that some of those who damn SG for its moderation, do not find a better home elsewhere.

As an aside, it bothers the Hell out of me because I know that you a far far better person than your persona....

I should be asleep...
    david

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche