Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 242

Thread: New politics & religion sub-forum

  1. #201
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Let's get back to topic at hand please. The thread's been hijacked over senseless discussion.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Mainly that some members give out rep for stupid reasons.
    you don't say.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Let's get back to topic at hand please. The thread's been hijacked over senseless discussion.
    No one to blame but yourself......but let's get this bitch back on topic ok everyone?

  4. #204
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    No one to blame but yourself......but let's get this bitch back on topic ok everyone?
    I've ask respectfully and I expect that to happen.

    I would ask everyone else to not bother replying to anything you have to say here if it's not related to the thread topic.

    ______________________________




    Now I do see UOD's points on having a separate forum. I don't think it would hurt but I don't think it will help either. Of course some people are going to hold a grudge one what you say. Hell I'm a prime example of that. There are a few on here who don't particulary like me for my political views.

    Having a different forum won't change that.

    I'm also seeing what Philip has said that the GF isn't that busy anyway. I dunno. Maybe it'll pick up steam if it's less stressful for those who don't like political discussion. That's a business decision that only he can make.

    I do like UOD's idea of a paid forum if we had more active members. I wonder if that would have worked during the 2004 elections when thing were REALLY hot around here. In fact I might say that it doesn't have to be a paid one and I'm not with UOD on one that's fully stated to allow flaming and insulting as a way of communication.

    I'd have to really chew on that for a while.

  5. #205
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    UOD I would support the idea of trying it if the flaming and insults weren't considered acceptable. I get your point and I do think some can handle that better then others, but ultimately I think it would be counter-productive to the site.

  6. #206
    TypicalWhitePerson JC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Single Wide
    Posts
    4,560
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post

    I'd have to really chew on that for a while.

    I'll keep that one
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

    MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

  7. #207
    TypicalWhitePerson JC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Single Wide
    Posts
    4,560
    All B/S aside. The main problems with the general discussion forums is..... The Mods! I'm sorry if that hurts, but it's the truth.
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

    MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

  8. #208
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    All B/S aside. The main problems with the general discussion forums is..... The Mods! I'm sorry if that hurts, but it's the truth.
    If members here aren't stirring up problems then we get along just fine with them. Thankfully a high majority of the members here are very good members and don't look to cause problems. If they disagree with someone for the most part they do so respectfully.

  9. #209
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    UOD I would support the idea of trying it if the flaming and insults weren't considered acceptable. I get your point and I do think some can handle that better then others, but ultimately I think it would be counter-productive to the site.
    I'm not suggesting that it's acceptable....I'm saying that the members are better at dishing out forum justice than a mod.

    Internal policing.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  10. #210
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    And you guys wonder why traffic suffers?
    probably because of ridiculous bickering like there has been on most of this thread

  11. #211
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    I'm not suggesting that it's acceptable....I'm saying that the members are better at dishing out forum justice than a mod.

    Internal policing.
    I have seen very few examples to support that theory actually. When members have no powers to do something to another member it comes down to insults really and that gets no one anywhere.

  12. #212
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    I think this thread is a good example of how this politics/religion sub forum would be all the time ,


    pretty sad IMO

  13. #213
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    I have seen very few examples to support that theory actually. When members have no powers to do something to another member it comes down to insults really and that gets no one anywhere.
    That's because you step in before it comes to a logical end.....someone will eventually give up and goto bed lol.

    Sometimes people just need to blow off steam and then they get back to pallin around, except not with terrorists hehe.

    I don't hold any grudge against JC whatsoever.

    Right now, you have to intervene to maintain the APPEARANCE of civility because the forum is public. If you make it a private forum, things will be different.

    I still don't understand the resistance because if it fails...it's one click to delete the forum and you get to have the last laugh and an I told ya so.

    But if it succeeds....then what do you do?

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  14. #214
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I think this thread is a good example of how this politics/religion sub forum would be all the time ,


    pretty sad IMO
    Well, since you wouldn't be participating and you wouldn't see it because you don't want to participate....how would it affect you?

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  15. #215
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    That's because you step in before it comes to a logical end.....someone will eventually give up and goto bed lol.

    Sometimes people just need to blow off steam and then they get back to pallin around, except not with terrorists hehe.

    I don't hold any grudge against JC whatsoever.

    Right now, you have to intervene to maintain the APPEARANCE of civility because the forum is public. If you make it a private forum, things will be different.

    I still don't understand the resistance because if it fails...it's one click to delete the forum and you get to have the last laugh and an I told ya so.

    But if it succeeds....then what do you do?
    As I stated I have no problems with giving it a shot I just disagree with you on a few of the specifics regarding how to run it is all.

  16. #216
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    Well, since you wouldn't be participating and you wouldn't see it because you don't want to participate....how would it affect you?
    it was just an observation,

    and I can't say how it would effect me,

    actually now that I think about it,watching all the childish bickering and name calling and chest puffing sad as it is,it's pretty entertaining to me.

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

    actually now that I think about it,watching all the childish bickering and name calling and chest puffing sad as it is,it's pretty entertaining to me.
    That is the part I hate. Such a waste of energy.

  18. #218
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    As I stated I have no problems with giving it a shot I just disagree with you on a few of the specifics regarding how to run it is all.
    TBH, I don't think I have said how I wanted it to run (specifics) and I don't believe that you have stated anything either. I thought that would come later if it becomes a reality.

    I think a generic ruleset could work fine....no racial/racist remarks, no threats, no bypassing the language filter, etc.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  19. #219
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    it was just an observation,

    and I can't say how it would effect me,

    actually now that I think about it,watching all the childish bickering and name calling and chest puffing sad as it is,it's pretty entertaining to me.
    I don't know if you are a premium member or not but this forum would only be able to be viewed and posted in by premium members.

    So it would remove the mob mentality of watching.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  20. #220
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,342
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    I don't think that comparison is being made but I still say that the discussion of politics should be kept segregated.
    What about that freedom of speech ?

Similar Threads

  1. Forum Rules !
    By Philip in forum News and Announcements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-14, 09:53 AM
  2. php programmer needed for forum
    By seethefeelings in forum Programming Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-09, 08:16 AM
  3. Forum problems,,,
    By Goliard in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-08, 05:39 PM
  4. I got banned from a forum before I could even post.. LOL
    By koldchillah in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-28-07, 05:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •