Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: New politics & religion sub-forum

Let's get back to topic at hand please. The thread's been hijacked over senseless discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Mainly that some members give out rep for stupid reasons.
    you don't say.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Let's get back to topic at hand please. The thread's been hijacked over senseless discussion.
    No one to blame but yourself......but let's get this bitch back on topic ok everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    No one to blame but yourself......but let's get this bitch back on topic ok everyone?
    I've ask respectfully and I expect that to happen.

I would ask everyone else to not bother replying to anything you have to say here if it's not related to the thread topic.

Now I do see UOD's points on having a separate forum. I don't think it would hurt but I don't think it will help either. Of course some people are going to hold a grudge one what you say. Hell I'm a prime example of that. There are a few on here who don't particulary like me for my political views.

Having a different forum won't change that.

I'm also seeing what Philip has said that the GF isn't that busy anyway. I dunno. Maybe it'll pick up steam if it's less stressful for those who don't like political discussion. That's a business decision that only he can make.

I do like UOD's idea of a paid forum if we had more active members. I wonder if that would have worked during the 2004 elections when thing were REALLY hot around here. In fact I might say that it doesn't have to be a paid one and I'm not with UOD on one that's fully stated to allow flaming and insulting as a way of communication.

I'd have to really chew on that for a while.

UOD I would support the idea of trying it if the flaming and insults weren't considered acceptable. I get your point and I do think some can handle that better then others, but ultimately I think it would be counter-productive to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post

I'd have to really chew on that for a while.

I'll keep that one
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

All B/S aside. The main problems with the general discussion forums is..... The Mods! I'm sorry if that hurts, but it's the truth.
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    All B/S aside. The main problems with the general discussion forums is..... The Mods! I'm sorry if that hurts, but it's the truth.
    If members here aren't stirring up problems then we get along just fine with them. Thankfully a high majority of the members here are very good members and don't look to cause problems. If they disagree with someone for the most part they do so respectfully.

UOD I would support the idea of trying it if the flaming and insults weren't considered acceptable. I get your point and I do think some can handle that better then others, but ultimately I think it would be counter-productive to the site.
    I'm not suggesting that it's acceptable....I'm saying that the members are better at dishing out forum justice than a mod.

Internal policing.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    And you guys wonder why traffic suffers?
    probably because of ridiculous bickering like there has been on most of this thread

Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    I'm not suggesting that it's acceptable....I'm saying that the members are better at dishing out forum justice than a mod.

Internal policing.
    I have seen very few examples to support that theory actually. When members have no powers to do something to another member it comes down to insults really and that gets no one anywhere.

I think this thread is a good example of how this politics/religion sub forum would be all the time ,

pretty sad IMO

I have seen very few examples to support that theory actually. When members have no powers to do something to another member it comes down to insults really and that gets no one anywhere.
    That's because you step in before it comes to a logical end.....someone will eventually give up and goto bed lol.

Sometimes people just need to blow off steam and then they get back to pallin around, except not with terrorists hehe.

I don't hold any grudge against JC whatsoever.

Right now, you have to intervene to maintain the APPEARANCE of civility because the forum is public. If you make it a private forum, things will be different.

I still don't understand the resistance because if it fails...it's one click to delete the forum and you get to have the last laugh and an I told ya so.

But if it succeeds....then what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I think this thread is a good example of how this politics/religion sub forum would be all the time ,

pretty sad IMO
    Well, since you wouldn't be participating and you wouldn't see it because you don't want to participate....how would it affect you?

That's because you step in before it comes to a logical end.....someone will eventually give up and goto bed lol.

Sometimes people just need to blow off steam and then they get back to pallin around, except not with terrorists hehe.

I don't hold any grudge against JC whatsoever.

Right now, you have to intervene to maintain the APPEARANCE of civility because the forum is public. If you make it a private forum, things will be different.

I still don't understand the resistance because if it fails...it's one click to delete the forum and you get to have the last laugh and an I told ya so.

But if it succeeds....then what do you do?
    As I stated I have no problems with giving it a shot I just disagree with you on a few of the specifics regarding how to run it is all.

Well, since you wouldn't be participating and you wouldn't see it because you don't want to participate....how would it affect you?
    it was just an observation,

and I can't say how it would effect me,

actually now that I think about it,watching all the childish bickering and name calling and chest puffing sad as it is,it's pretty entertaining to me.

actually now that I think about it,watching all the childish bickering and name calling and chest puffing sad as it is,it's pretty entertaining to me.
    That is the part I hate. Such a waste of energy.

As I stated I have no problems with giving it a shot I just disagree with you on a few of the specifics regarding how to run it is all.
    TBH, I don't think I have said how I wanted it to run (specifics) and I don't believe that you have stated anything either. I thought that would come later if it becomes a reality.

I think a generic ruleset could work fine....no racial/racist remarks, no threats, no bypassing the language filter, etc.

it was just an observation,

and I can't say how it would effect me,

I don't know if you are a premium member or not but this forum would only be able to be viewed and posted in by premium members.

So it would remove the mob mentality of watching.

Blog Entries
    I don't think that comparison is being made but I still say that the discussion of politics should be kept segregated.
    What about that freedom of speech ?