Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 242

Thread: New politics & religion sub-forum

  1. #121
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Yes I may have pointed out an arguement as silly but that's a very far cry from what gets someone a message from me or Philip for that matter.

    I'm looking for specific things, like out and out flaming, which I really try to never do.

    As far as just ignoring someone, no. That doesn't work. People just leave and rarely come back over some of the actions of a few here.

    Of course I won't say that some of them left because of me. That I can't help.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    Do we hold him to the same set of values in real life? In a way, we do by not voting for him. But really, what kind of backlash does he deserve for such comments?


    One of the big problems I have with banning folks is that it's silencing free speech. If the person is that bad....can't we just IGNORE him/her?


    You will be silenced because we don't like how you say things to us. Very odd for champions of freedom to hold such a belief.

    Nah, the mods reserve the right to decide for the rest of us what's appropriate or not. They basically ignore the fact there is a 'report' function in the forums so a member could report a post that's seen to be offensive ....apparently we aren't able to decide for ourselves these things. If even one member complains about a post it's gone...no majority ...no democracy....just 'I know better than you'

  3. #123
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    It'd be easier if you could just show us a mod that got a warning. I assume by your lack of an answer and your answering his question with a question that the answer is 'No'.
    It might be easier but that's not the point. Show me one single time that I've crossed the line as you have, Izzo. I mean that most respectfully and I'll give you all the time needed.

    Now, I'll answer your question. Dang straight we examine ourselves. Of course Philip has PM'd us on occasion about decisions we've made.

    That said, we wouldn't have been asked to help out here if Philip didn't trust our judgment to do the right thing.

  4. #124
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    Nah, the mods reserve the right to decide for the rest of us what's appropriate or not. They basically ignore the fact there is a 'report' function in the forums so a member could report a post that's seen to be offensive ....apparently we aren't able to decide for ourselves these things. If even one member complains about a post it's gone...no majority ...no democracy....just 'I know better than you'
    *sigh*

    Izzo, I can't figure out what's so hard about all this. It's not a street corner. It's Philips business. He can decide what's allowed and what isn't. EOS

    Name me a business where you can stand up on a soapbox and sprout anything you like without repercussion.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    It might be easier but that's not the point. Show me one single time that I've crossed the line as you have, Izzo. I mean that most respectfully and I'll give you all the time needed.

    Now, I'll answer your question. Dang straight we examine ourselves. Of course Philip has PM'd us on occasion about decisions we've made.

    That said, we wouldn't have been asked to help out here if Philip didn't trust our judgment to do the right thing.
    It is the point and that wasn't the question. It's a pretty simple question which can be answer either with a yes or a no. We're not interested in introspection... do you get infractions?

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    *sigh*

    Izzo, I can't figure out what's so hard about all this. It's not a street corner. It's Philips business. He can decide what's allowed and what isn't. EOS

    Name me a business where you can stand up on a soapbox and sprout anything you like without repercussion.
    *sigh* *facepalm* It's a public forum and this isn't a business ...it's a cheesy website and I don't work here.

  7. #127
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,935
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    *sigh*

    Izzo, I can't figure out what's so hard about all this. It's not a street corner. It's Philips business. He can decide what's allowed and what isn't. EOS

    Name me a business where you can stand up on a soapbox and sprout anything you like without repercussion.

    Well, since you put it that way....my forum suggestion is tied into the business end. I did say to tie it into premium membership. That's how ARS does it and they must be making A LOT of money on that because they have to pay no matter what...I paid.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  8. #128
    TypicalWhitePerson JC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Single Wide
    Posts
    4,560
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Can you quote an example where any of them have been nearly as rash as some of the membership?

    I was not insuinating anything, just asking.
    Actually, I'm wondering why you would ask that to begin with?
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

    MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

  9. #129
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    *sigh* *facepalm* It's a public forum and this isn't a business ...it's a cheesy website and I don't work here.
    Philip does make money off the adverts dude.

    And that's why I don't understand why he wants the politics out in the open. Keep it out of sight out of mind.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  10. #130
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    Do we hold him to the same set of values in real life? In a way, we do by not voting for him. But really, what kind of backlash does he deserve for such comments?


    One of the big problems I have with banning folks is that it's silencing free speech. If the person is that bad....can't we just IGNORE him/her?


    You will be silenced because we don't like how you say things to us. Very odd for champions of freedom to hold such a belief.
    It's about respect. If a person decides not to have it then they will likely be forced to leave.

  11. #131
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    Fair enough.....Sg is getting killed simply by competition. There are a hundred other sites that provide the same services....only better and without the child like (it's my ball and my rules if you don't like it....) BS. There's a reason sites like MySpace, Facebook, Reddit and Digg and the chans are so popular and I assure you it's not because everyone is 'civil'. Some people need to grow some thicker skin and stop being such wussies. I mean, do the mods really think an infraction will make someone think twice before posting? I expect that kind of conditioning to work with children....not adults.
    Would you rather we just ban you right away next time?

  12. #132
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    It'd be easier if you could just show us a mod that got a warning. I assume by your lack of an answer and your answering his question with a question that the answer is 'No'.
    You won't see it just like you don't see 95% of the warnings given out. A very high majority of the warnings given out are never known by the members here unless one of those members makes a thread about it.

  13. #133
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    Nah, the mods reserve the right to decide for the rest of us what's appropriate or not. They basically ignore the fact there is a 'report' function in the forums so a member could report a post that's seen to be offensive ....apparently we aren't able to decide for ourselves these things. If even one member complains about a post it's gone...no majority ...no democracy....just 'I know better than you'
    If that was true I would agree with you. That said it is not.

  14. #134
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    *sigh* *facepalm* It's a public forum and this isn't a business ...it's a cheesy website and I don't work here.
    Of course it's a business and before you criticize the guy who owns the site to much you might want to take a moment and thank him. If it wasn't for Philip you wouldn't even be here posting right now.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Of course it's a business and before you criticize the guy who owns the site to much you might want to take a moment and thank him. If it wasn't for Philip you wouldn't even be here posting right now.
    No, it's not a business in the context DH suggested. I am not paying for any service nor am I receiving anything. It's a public forum just like 1000's of others. Don't fool yourself into believing this place is something special because it isn't.....it's just one out of a million. Thank him? You've got to be joking? You know just as well as I do that banning me wouldn't prevent me from posting.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Would you rather we just ban you right away next time?
    Do what you gotta do.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    You won't see it just like you don't see 95% of the warnings given out. A very high majority of the warnings given out are never known by the members here unless one of those members makes a thread about it.


    ok...whatever.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    If that was true I would agree with you. That said it is not.
    Well, if you say it's not true it must not be ....good 'nuff for me.

  19. #139
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    Well, if you say it's not true it must not be ....good 'nuff for me.
    Glad we agree.

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    Philip does make money off the adverts dude.

    And that's why I don't understand why he wants the politics out in the open. Keep it out of sight out of mind.

    So do 1000's of other sites....to compare this to BestBuy or CVS is just absurd.

Similar Threads

  1. Forum Rules !
    By Philip in forum News and Announcements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-14, 09:53 AM
  2. php programmer needed for forum
    By seethefeelings in forum Programming Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-09, 08:16 AM
  3. Forum problems,,,
    By Goliard in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-08, 05:39 PM
  4. I got banned from a forum before I could even post.. LOL
    By koldchillah in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-28-07, 05:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •