Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New politics & religion sub-forum

Yes I may have pointed out an arguement as silly but that's a very far cry from what gets someone a message from me or Philip for that matter.

I'm looking for specific things, like out and out flaming, which I really try to never do.

As far as just ignoring someone, no. That doesn't work. People just leave and rarely come back over some of the actions of a few here.

Of course I won't say that some of them left because of me. That I can't help.

Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    Do we hold him to the same set of values in real life? In a way, we do by not voting for him. But really, what kind of backlash does he deserve for such comments?

One of the big problems I have with banning folks is that it's silencing free speech. If the person is that bad....can't we just IGNORE him/her?

You will be silenced because we don't like how you say things to us. Very odd for champions of freedom to hold such a belief.

Nah, the mods reserve the right to decide for the rest of us what's appropriate or not. They basically ignore the fact there is a 'report' function in the forums so a member could report a post that's seen to be offensive ....apparently we aren't able to decide for ourselves these things. If even one member complains about a post it's gone...no majority ...no democracy....just 'I know better than you'

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    It'd be easier if you could just show us a mod that got a warning. I assume by your lack of an answer and your answering his question with a question that the answer is 'No'.
    It might be easier but that's not the point. Show me one single time that I've crossed the line as you have, Izzo. I mean that most respectfully and I'll give you all the time needed.

Now, I'll answer your question. Dang straight we examine ourselves. Of course Philip has PM'd us on occasion about decisions we've made.

That said, we wouldn't have been asked to help out here if Philip didn't trust our judgment to do the right thing.

Nah, the mods reserve the right to decide for the rest of us what's appropriate or not. They basically ignore the fact there is a 'report' function in the forums so a member could report a post that's seen to be offensive ....apparently we aren't able to decide for ourselves these things. If even one member complains about a post it's gone...no majority ...no democracy....just 'I know better than you'
    *sigh*

Izzo, I can't figure out what's so hard about all this. It's not a street corner. It's Philips business. He can decide what's allowed and what isn't. EOS

Name me a business where you can stand up on a soapbox and sprout anything you like without repercussion.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    It might be easier but that's not the point. Show me one single time that I've crossed the line as you have, Izzo. I mean that most respectfully and I'll give you all the time needed.

Now, I'll answer your question. Dang straight we examine ourselves. Of course Philip has PM'd us on occasion about decisions we've made.

That said, we wouldn't have been asked to help out here if Philip didn't trust our judgment to do the right thing.
    It is the point and that wasn't the question. It's a pretty simple question which can be answer either with a yes or a no. We're not interested in introspection... do you get infractions?

*sigh*

Izzo, I can't figure out what's so hard about all this. It's not a street corner. It's Philips business. He can decide what's allowed and what isn't. EOS

Name me a business where you can stand up on a soapbox and sprout anything you like without repercussion.
    *sigh* *facepalm* It's a public forum and this isn't a business ...it's a cheesy website and I don't work here.

*sigh*

Well, since you put it that way....my forum suggestion is tied into the business end. I did say to tie it into premium membership. That's how ARS does it and they must be making A LOT of money on that because they have to pay no matter what...I paid.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Can you quote an example where any of them have been nearly as rash as some of the membership?

I was not insuinating anything, just asking.
    Actually, I'm wondering why you would ask that to begin with?
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

*sigh* *facepalm* It's a public forum and this isn't a business ...it's a cheesy website and I don't work here.
    Philip does make money off the adverts dude.

And that's why I don't understand why he wants the politics out in the open. Keep it out of sight out of mind.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Do we hold him to the same set of values in real life? In a way, we do by not voting for him. But really, what kind of backlash does he deserve for such comments?

One of the big problems I have with banning folks is that it's silencing free speech. If the person is that bad....can't we just IGNORE him/her?

You will be silenced because we don't like how you say things to us. Very odd for champions of freedom to hold such a belief.
    It's about respect. If a person decides not to have it then they will likely be forced to leave.

Fair enough.....Sg is getting killed simply by competition. There are a hundred other sites that provide the same services....only better and without the child like (it's my ball and my rules if you don't like it....) BS. There's a reason sites like MySpace, Facebook, Reddit and Digg and the chans are so popular and I assure you it's not because everyone is 'civil'. Some people need to grow some thicker skin and stop being such wussies. I mean, do the mods really think an infraction will make someone think twice before posting? I expect that kind of conditioning to work with children....not adults.
    Would you rather we just ban you right away next time?

It'd be easier if you could just show us a mod that got a warning. I assume by your lack of an answer and your answering his question with a question that the answer is 'No'.
    You won't see it just like you don't see 95% of the warnings given out. A very high majority of the warnings given out are never known by the members here unless one of those members makes a thread about it.

If that was true I would agree with you. That said it is not.

Of course it's a business and before you criticize the guy who owns the site to much you might want to take a moment and thank him. If it wasn't for Philip you wouldn't even be here posting right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Of course it's a business and before you criticize the guy who owns the site to much you might want to take a moment and thank him. If it wasn't for Philip you wouldn't even be here posting right now.
    No, it's not a business in the context DH suggested. I am not paying for any service nor am I receiving anything. It's a public forum just like 1000's of others. Don't fool yourself into believing this place is something special because it isn't.....it's just one out of a million. Thank him? You've got to be joking? You know just as well as I do that banning me wouldn't prevent me from posting.

Would you rather we just ban you right away next time?
    Do what you gotta do.

You won't see it just like you don't see 95% of the warnings given out. A very high majority of the warnings given out are never known by the members here unless one of those members makes a thread about it.

ok...whatever.

If that was true I would agree with you. That said it is not.
    Well, if you say it's not true it must not be ....good 'nuff for me.

Well, if you say it's not true it must not be ....good 'nuff for me.
    Glad we agree.

Philip does make money off the adverts dude.

And that's why I don't understand why he wants the politics out in the open. Keep it out of sight out of mind.

So do 1000's of other sites....to compare this to BestBuy or CVS is just absurd.