Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Stimulus Package?

Another Stimulus Package?

Hell yeah! I could use the extra cash for Xmas

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told Congress Monday a fresh round of government stimulus is a good idea because there's a risk the country's economic weakness could last for some time.

Bernanke's remarks before the House Budget Committee marked his first endorsement of another round of energizing stimulus, something that Democrats on Capitol Hill have been pushing. The Bush administration, however, has been cool to the notion.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...pStoryHeadline

Ya just what we need, more debt.

Is their goal to create hyper inflation?

Certified SG Addict
    As much as I'd love to think your exuberance is mere trolling, I know you honestly think this will positively impact things. And then I weep a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    As much as I'd love to think your exuberance is mere trolling, I know you honestly think this will positively impact things. And then I weep a little.
    I think this is a good thing! Weep all ya want..I'll take your check when it comes out if you don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I think this is a good thing! Weep all ya want..I'll take your check when it comes out if you don't want it.
    Of course everyone wants money, but our government isnt in a position to just give some away.

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Of course everyone wants money, but our government isnt in a position to just give some away.
    What scams they've got going...

First, banks earn interest on money that does not, has never, or will ever exist, and then the government gives us pittances of our own money back and people celebrate it as if we're vicariously sticking it to The Man.

Not only does it defy logic, it ****s it right up the ass.

They waste more in 1 day than the total payout so why get worked up about it. Until they start policing themselves, it doesn't matter what the heck happens. I'm sure the LCD & Plasma panel makers are enjoying the stimulus payouts.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

I welcome the money in my pocket
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    They waste more in 1 day than the total payout so why get worked up about it. Until they start policing themselves, it doesn't matter what the heck happens. I'm sure the LCD & Plasma panel makers are enjoying the stimulus payouts.
    Well then using that logic I guess we should just give everyone 100 million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Well then using that logic I guess we should just give everyone 100 million dollars.

hell, that gets my vote
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    I welcome the money in my pocket
    Amen brother!

So are they going to take it from the 2009 tax returns now?
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    Awesome, I really want to buy another AR15 before Obama gets in office! They have already gone up in price around here by 200 bucks. Dont' want to know what will happen in November if he gets elected.

That and some more 'evil' 30 round magazines would really make my holidays!
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoPColtrane View Post
    Awesome, I really want to buy another AR15 before Obama gets in office! They have already gone up in price around here by 200 bucks. Dont' want to know what will happen in November if he gets elected.

That and some more 'evil' 30 round magazines would really make my holidays!

Is Obama coming for your guns?

Who was the previous President that either took your guns away or gave you greater access to firearms?

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    Is Obama coming for your guns?

Who was the previous President that either took your guns away or gave you greater access to firearms?
    I'm not doing this again!
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    So are they going to take it from the 2009 tax returns now?
    The most recent stimulus package didn't require a payback so why would this one do that?

According to the IRS the money is not taxable and will not reduce what you may be owed in a tax refund for 2008 (filed in 2009). In fact itís possible that you get more back next year, if you didnít already get the maximum, based on next yearís return. See the amount was based on your 2007 return so if you didnít qualify for the full amount you may still qualify for the difference based on your 2008 return. Donít worry if you received the full amount already. No matter what your 2008 return says you wonít have to pay anything back.
    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...182003,00.html

I don't get it. The first stimulus package had little to no measurable effect on the economy and retail spending still slumped, yet they want to try it again? Are they gonna give us more money this time? How about retail coupon books.. or maybe free theme park tickets or something?

Seriously, if they want to encourage people to increase discretionary spending, they need to provide a more guided incentive instead of just giving a few hundred bucks to people who are behind on their bills and/or struggling to adjust to increased costs of living.

Don't forget, us taxpayers already have a bailout to pay for.. Somebody has to pay for these tax credits and stimulus packages as well.. At the end of the day, this isn't going to be money in anyone's pocket. It's nothing more than a smoke 'n mirrors attempt at regaining consumer confidence in a slumping economy. It will fail just as miserably as the first stimulus package did in the grand scheme of things.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

To me it looks like a good idea.. I spent most of my last check but saved the rest cause I was worried about what was going on like the rest of America.... pump more into it this time around for Xmas and you will have some spending. Right now every company is doing their best to get you to spend YOUR money at their stores. I'm getting tons of magazines now vs that I've used to from places I've purchased for. Ya know what, this year seems to be the first year I've seen the Sears Wishbook for the first time in many years...that means they are getting desperate for sales like everyone else is. Stimulate the economy during this time of the year and people will spend.
    Last edited by Sava700; 10-20-08 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Right now every company is doing their best to get you to spend their money at their stores.
    Good typo!

Or, like with the last stimulus package, either save it or spend it on bills. Most likely the latter for a good many Americans.