Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Powell endorses Obama for president

  1. #1
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761

    Post Powell endorses Obama for president

    Very big endorsement.

    WASHINGTON - Former Secretary of State Colin Powell endorsed Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., for president on Sunday, criticizing his own Republican Party for what he called its narrow focus on irrelevant personal attacks over a serious approach to challenges he called unprecedented.

    Powell, who for many years was considered the most likely candidate to become the first African-American president, said in an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that he was not supporting Obama because of his race. He said he had watched both Obama and his Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, for many months and thought “either one of them would be a good president.”

    But he said McCain’s choices in the last few weeks — especially his selection of Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska as his vice presidential running mate — had raised questions in his mind about McCain’s judgment.

    “I don’t believe [Palin] is ready to be president of the United States,” Powell said flatly. By contrast, Obama’s running mate, Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, “is ready to be president on day one.”

    Powell also said he was “troubled” by Republican personal attacks on Obama, especially false intimations that Obama was Muslim and Republicans’ recent focus on Obama’s alleged connections to William Ayers, the founder of the radical ’60 Weather Underground.

    Stressing that Obama was a lifelong Christian, Powell denounced Republican tactics that he said were insulting not only to to Obama but also to Muslims.

    “The really right answer is what if he is?” Powell said, praising the contributions of millions of Muslim citizens to American society.

    “I look at these kind of approaches to the campaign, and they trouble me,” Powell said. “Over the last seven weeks, the approach of the Republican Party has become narrower and narrower.”

    In an interview Sunday on Fox News, McCain said he was not surprised by the announcement.

    “I’ve always admired and respected General Powell,” said McCain, who cited the endorsements he had received from former Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger, Alexander Haig, James Baker and Lawrence Eagleburger. “We have a respectful disagreement.”

    Bolstering Obama’s international credentials
    Powell, a retired Army general who was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under the first President Bush before becoming secretary of state in the current administration, is one of the most highly decorated military officers of modern times and an admired figure in both parties. The Obama campaign is likely to cite the endorsement as an answer to critics and undecided voters who have questioned the foreign policy credential of Obama, a first-term senator whose national experience amounts to four years in the Senate.

    Powell said a major part of his decision to turn his back on his own party was his conclusion that Obama was the better option to repair frayed U.S. relations with allies overseas.

    “This is the time for outreach,” Powell said, saying the next president would have to “reach out and show the world there is a new administration that is willing to reach out.”

    In particular, he said, he welcomed Obama’s president to “talk to people we haven’t talked to,” a reference to Obama’s controversial statement that he would be open to direct diplomacy with Iranian leaders.

    “I think that [Obama] has a definite way of doing business that will serve us well,” Powell said.

    Won’t campaign for Obama
    As recently as a month ago, Powell said that electing an African-American president would be “electrifying” for the world but that he remained undecided. The unsteadiness of the Republican campaign in recent weeks, especially on the economic crisis, went a long way toward pushing him off the fence, he said.

    “It isn’t easy for me to disappoint Senator McCain as I have this morning,” said Powell, who emphasized that he would not campaign for Obama because of his admiration for McCain’s long record of service in the military and in Congress.

    But as he examined both campaigns in the last few weeks, he said, he became “concerned” that “in the case of Mr. McCain, he was a little unsure how to deal with the economic problems.”

    “Every day, there was a different approach,” he said, adding that he also “would have difficulty with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court.”

    McCain would be a good president, Powell said, but Obama is “a transformational figure” who would be an “exceptional” leader.

    “I truly believe that at this point in Amserica’s history we need a president who will not just continue ... basically the policies we have followed in recent years,” he said. “We need a president with transformational qualities.”

    For that reason, he said, “I will be voting for Barack Obama.”
    Link

  2. #2
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    “I’ve always admired and respected General Powell,” said McCain, who cited the endorsements he had received from former Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger, Alexander Haig, James Baker and Lawrence Eagleburger. “We have a respectful disagreement.”


    Maybe McCain should have thought this through before citing these endorsements.

  3. #3
    TypicalWhitePerson JC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Single Wide
    Posts
    4,560
    Would anyone expect anything else?
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

    MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

  4. #4
    Certified SG Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    29,514
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Would anyone expect anything else?
    Now that's not too racially-tinged of a statement, is it?

  5. #5
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Would anyone expect anything else?
    Exactly what is your point?

  6. #6
    TypicalWhitePerson JC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Single Wide
    Posts
    4,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Now that's not too racially-tinged of a statement, is it?
    Not at all

    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Exactly what is your point?
    My point is... Of course he would endorse him.
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

    MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

  7. #7
    SG Enthusiast koldchillah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,608
    I agree with JC. This shouldn't be any surprise to anyone. He was thrown under the bus by the Bush Administration a long time ago, so of course he's feeling a bit biased these days.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

  8. #8
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Not at all



    My point is... Of course he would endorse him.

    Why? You must have a reason for saying that, right? Let's see some serious discussion from you, man.


    Kold...I'm not convinced it's because Cheney and Rumsfield threw Powell out.

    I'm convinced it's exactly as Powell stated as his reason for turning his back on the Republican party. He's figured it out that they no longer represent any where close to a moderate way running this country but the party has been hijacked by big business and very far right way of running things. They no longer represent what he grew up with.

  9. #9
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    another for Obama....
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/...tes/index.html

    In defense for JC cause it could be many reasons why Powell is endorsing Obama but clearly this woman comes right out and says it.

    Now she hopes to see the day that Obama is elected as the nation's first black president.
    Is that right to do that, to pick someone just by what their skin color is? NOPE!

    But I can tell you this...from a few friends of mine whom are black that was the same reason they told me they were voting for him...is it correct to assume thats why many others taking polls will too?

    Kinda a hard subject to really talk about without stepping over the line anywhere.

  10. #10
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    another for Obama....
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/...tes/index.html

    In defense for JC cause it could be many reasons why Powell is endorsing Obama but clearly this woman comes right out and says it.



    Is that right to do that, to pick someone just by what their skin color is? NOPE!

    But I can tell you this...from a few friends of mine whom are black that was the same reason they told me they were voting for him...is it correct to assume thats why many others taking polls will too?

    Kinda a hard subject to really talk about without stepping over the line anywhere.
    I know people only voting against him because he's black as well, not right, but its not gonna change.

  11. #11
    no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,228
    It's not right, but that's how everything else is. If someone's not being voted for by one demographic because of skin colour, it's because of gender, or the bigger one: religion. Be honest, do you think there's even the remotest chance of a non-christian (other religion or athiest) being voted to power? Not a chance, in my opinion. Stupid stuff will always sway stupid people.

    You'll get women voting McCain/Palin because Palin is female (just like you would have some voting for Clinton if she was running).

    You'll have some black people voting Obama because he's black.

    You'll have some people vote for only religious candidates because they're religious.

Similar Threads

  1. Obama outscores McCain in veterans’ group’s report card
    By Roody in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-08-08, 08:32 PM
  2. 2 quick polls give Obama edge in debate
    By Roody in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-08, 07:23 AM
  3. Jack Wheeler on Obama
    By Far-N-Wide in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-08, 09:45 AM
  4. Obama to meet with Edwards
    By Comtrad in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-08, 08:34 AM
  5. Secrets of Obama Family Unlocked
    By minir in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-28-07, 01:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •