Thread: I'm taking my MSF class today

I'm taking my MSF class today

And the first day is going to be in the rain. I'm excited and nervous, anyone have any last minute advice to give?

I'm a little worried because I sprained my ankle last Sunday playing soccer and it's still pretty sore and a little swollen, luckly it's my right ankle.

Everyone have a GREAT weekend!
    Now, Hank, touch your throat. That tube you feel is your trachea. Think of it as your handle. That thing your thumb is on is your carotid artery. Think of it as your button. I want you to grab the handle, push the button.
    -Brock Samson

Good luck. Pay good, solid attention to the instructors and you'll do just fine.

Yeah, don't pretend to know more then the instructors!

Have fun!

Tonight was all written and video, can't wait for tomorrow.
    Now, Hank, touch your throat. That tube you feel is your trachea. Think of it as your handle. That thing your thumb is on is your carotid artery. Think of it as your button. I want you to grab the handle, push the button.
    -Brock Samson

Quote Originally Posted by Noevo View Post
    Yeah, don't pretend to know more then the instructors!

Have fun!
    You live!

Quote Originally Posted by tarpoon75 View Post
    Tonight was all written and video, can't wait for tomorrow.

Remember, always pull the front brake lever as hard as possible.

Also, do NOTHING like I do it.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Cool man, really

Remember too, that most insurance companies will give you a discount on rates after passing the course.
    Another cool thing is after you pass the basic course you can take the advanced course on your own bike. Itís usually on a Saturday, one day only.

What kind of bike do you have?
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Good luck, I am doing mine next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    What kind of bike do you have?

He better not have one yet. He promised to take the MSF before getting a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by brembo View Post
    He better not have one yet. He promised to take the MSF before getting a bike.
    Oh, I wasn't aware of this promise or it slipped my feeble mind.

Remember, always pull the front brake lever as hard as possible.

Also, do NOTHING like I do it.
    Thanks for the jinx.

I was doing really well and let the instructors complements go straight to my head.

Tried a first gear swerve in second gear, and hit the front break instead of trail breaking and had a low side. That was a lesson I only needed once. After ego was re-checked and stowed in the over head compartment, the day went smoothly.

We have a couple of Yamaha XTs, and mostly honda shadows, and a nighthawk. In 4 hours of riding we got in just over 20 miles covered.

One poor guy had bought full gear and down payment on 600R and after spraining both his wrists he decided motorcycling wasn't for him.

I gotta say I'm a little nervous about the test tomorrow. I went to chic-fila and couldn't believe how slow my car seemed. I drive a G35 and it sprightly, it left quite the impression.
    -Brock Samson

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    Oh, I wasn't aware of this promise or it slipped my feeble mind.
    Its been hard, I completely stopped looking at bike magazines to try and avoid the temptation. I will say this; if there was a bike salesman waiting with a selection of motocycles at the end of the day tomorrow, when they hand us our cards they could make a killing on us. We all were just drooling over the thought of riding our own bikes.
    -Brock Samson

Passed the class. Got 5 points off the riding part for not having enough speed through a turn because I forgot to turn back on the fuel
    -Brock Samson

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpoon75 View Post
    Its been hard, I completely stopped looking at bike magazines to try and avoid the temptation. I will say this; if there was a bike salesman waiting with a selection of motocycles at the end of the day tomorrow, when they hand us our cards they could make a killing on us. We all were just drooling over the thought of riding our own bikes.
    What type are you leaning towards?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    What type are you leaning towards?
    I've ridden mostly dual sports/dirt bikes and feel the most comfortable on them, obviously. I would like to try out a sport bike and see how I like the different riding posture. In a perfect world I would like to have both.

These are the ones I'm considering:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/det...ontent=details

-Brembo has threatened to kick me square in the balls for this but I'm considering it anyways.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=315

http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my200...&model=M695-07

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...uro/index.html

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    -Brock Samson

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Hey, suggestions would be based on a matter of personal preference. Nothing wrong with anyone having preferences of a particular type/class of bike...I'm more a fan of the classic cruiser style myself...but that's me.

The key is...whatever gets your heart racing, puts a smile on your face, creates music for your ears, and rips the wind through your hair.

Out of your list above...the Ducati would be my choice. My ear has a sweet spot for their exhaust note.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

No on the Duc and NO NO NO NO NO on the 690.

The Duc will eat you alive in maintenance, and it's a beefy V-Twin that's rather wheelie happy. It's a 2 valve per cylinder engine, so it won't be astronomical like the 4 vallve desmodromic, but it'll still hurt when it needs adjustment. 73 hp too, that's a pretty high amount for a first bike.

The 690 is an expert bike, the specs might not show it but that bike will tear your head off. Most reviews I've read on that rig call it "insane", and I'll have to agree. I've ridden KTM's 530 SX motocross monster (130cc less displacement) and it curdled my blood. It wanted me dead, off it's back and was not afraid to let me know this. The 690 will bite a near-pro rider, the SMR in particular. The motards have an incredible performance envelope, step outside that parameter for one instant and a bike like the SMR will make you pay for it.

I still think you would be much better served with a DRZ-400SM as your first bike. It's pretty tame, handles great and is tough as nails. Once yer proficient with that, it's a cheap upgrade to flatside carbs to give it more squirt. Once that fun does down, you sell it for what you have in it (or more) and move on to a bigger/better bike. The DRZs can withstand immense abuse, so your first few "new rider" gaffs won't cost you an arm and a leg.

No on the Duc and NO NO NO NO NO on the 690.

The Duc will eat you alive in maintenance, and it's a beefy V-Twin that's rather wheelie happy. It's a 2 valve per cylinder engine, so it won't be astronomical like the 4 vallve desmodromic, but it'll still hurt when it needs adjustment. 73 hp too, that's a pretty high amount for a first bike.

The 690 is an expert bike, the specs might not show it but that bike will tear your head off. Most reviews I've read on that rig call it "insane", and I'll have to agree. I've ridden KTM's 530 SX motocross monster (130cc less displacement) and it curdled my blood. It wanted me dead, off it's back and was not afraid to let me know this. The 690 will bite a near-pro rider, the SMR in particular. The motards have an incredible performance envelope, step outside that parameter for one instant and a bike like the SMR will make you pay for it.

I still think you would be much better served with a DRZ-400SM as your first bike. It's pretty tame, handles great and is tough as nails. Once yer proficient with that, it's a cheap upgrade to flatside carbs to give it more squirt. Once that fun does down, you sell it for what you have in it (or more) and move on to a bigger/better bike. The DRZs can withstand immense abuse, so your first few "new rider" gaffs won't cost you an arm and a leg.
    I really hate you and your sound logic. The DRZ's seats look pretty uncomfortable, after 2 hours on the XT my butt was quite numb and uncomfortable. Is there a way to fix that?
    -Brock Samson

I would stay away from the Ducati as to agree with what Brembo mentioned. I had a Monster 750 Dark, itís a bike that I wouldnít recommend to the beginner rider or novice mechanic. Donít get me wrong, itís a great bike, just not for a novice rider.