Thread: would a person need my consent to run a background check?

would a person need my consent to run a background check?

aside from officers of the law i mean.

and what if they obtained my SSN or other personal info besides my name and mailing addy without my permission to make said background check (by going through old mail or trash).

as usual, long story short.... recently found out that a former roomate's ex had run a background check on me to use against my old roomie in their ongoing child custody battle. she would have had to have done this without my consent. only thing of relevance in my history would be knucklehead shenannigans from 20 and more years ago, so i kinda doubt it was usefull to her.

however, i still feel kind of violated (let the jokes ensue!). the only info she would have had was my first and (maybe) last name and address. i suppose she may have been able to get my full name by looking at my mail without opening it, but anything beyond that she would have had to either steal mail or snoop through my room at the time for opened mail, or go through trash cans.

my gut feeling is if someone has enough info on a person they can seek out whatever public records that exist on them (uneducated guess). it just bugs me that if to get enough personallly specific on me she would have most likely had to snoop (even though trash tends to be public domain under the right circumstances. dunno about a person's room).
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

I've allways had to sign a release for background checks.... Sounds like a good identity law suit in the making.

There was new bank manager on the weekends that came around.
    He held my check. I flipped out. We went to talk in his office.
    He did a credit check on me. I gave him a recipe for escargots.(Cheddar).
    He did not unhold my check.
    But got 2 C my banks research/my creding rating in progress.
    It was at it was supposed 2 B. BIG NH.
    He no longer works there. I did not uncooperate in a way, gave all my info in the truth ratio.

Answer to your querry...weird?

If you think about life and the joys, and the iddenty theft aspect of it. I'm good, really. Think about it. I'm a super LUSH with history. Who wants 2 B me?, or just pretend for 5 secs.

i was talking to my recruiter a few days back and he was telling me that he can now run a full background check and the whole nine yard with local state and fed info with there social. no signing required. this way they don't waste time and paperwork on a recruit for nothing. but like you said. it may just be for state and federal workers. but he did say he was just given permission to do it just last week

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    i was talking to my recruiter a few days back and he was telling me that he can now run a full background check and the whole nine yard with local state and fed info with there social. no signing required. this way they don't waste time and paperwork on a recruit for nothing. but like you said. it may just be for state and federal workers. but he did say he was just given permission to do it just last week
    Oh, I forgot.

The solution to his=my credit querry[nh] wasto get a candian tire credit crd for 4 weeks?

Any one can run a background on any one. The goverment has more records to look at .

Quote Originally Posted by OSULLY View Post
    Any one can run a background on any one. The goverment has more records to look at .
    yuppers

Quote Originally Posted by OSULLY View Post
    was kind of what i thought. public record and such.

i'm almost positive that she would have had to go in my room at the time to get at least my SSN off a personal document (i've had my identity stolen before, so i try to be vigilant about either shredding or burning docs with personal info instead of just throwing it away). unless you dont need a SSN to run a check, and then the debate is moot. i would tend to think that usage of another person's SSN would at least be frowned upon.

ah, well. doesn't affect me really. just sort of irritating.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

For a background check I think all they need is your name, age city and state.

Also, it is entirely legal to root through trash, anything foind may be considered yours. That s/g is in your trash implies that you have given up possession of it. Tresspass laws still apply though if someone roots through trash inside your home, but if placed on the curb or street it's free for the taking. In some jurisdictions, one may even root through containers and bags on your driveway, as in those places the driveway is actually property of the city.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH