Thread: 2 quick polls give Obama edge in debate

Post 2 quick polls give Obama edge in debate

WASHINGTON - A pair of one-night polls gave Barack Obama a clear edge over John McCain in their first presidential debate.

Fifty-one percent said Obama, the Democrat, did a better job in Friday night's faceoff while 38 percent preferred the Republican McCain, according to a CNN-Opinion Research Corp. survey of adults.

Obama was widely considered more intelligent, likable and in touch with peoples' problems, and by modest margins was seen as the stronger leader and more sincere. Most said it was McCain who spent more time attacking his opponent.

About six in 10 said each did a better job than expected. Seven in 10 said each seemed capable of being president.

In a CBS News poll of people not committed to a candidate, 39 percent said Obama won the debate, 24 percent said McCain and 37 percent called it a tie. Twice as many said Obama understands their needs than said so about McCain.

Seventy-eight percent said McCain is prepared to be president, about the same proportion of uncommitted voters as said so before the debate. Sixty percent said Obama is ready a lower score than McCain, but a solid 16-percentage-point improvement from before the debate.

In another Obama advantage in the CBS poll, far more said their image of him had improved as a result of the debate than said it had worsened. More also said their view of McCain had gotten better rather than worse, but by a modest margin.

The CNN poll involved telephone interviews with 524 adults who watched the debate and had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points. The CBS survey involved online interviews with 483 uncommitted voters who saw the debate and had an error margin of plus or minus 4 points. It was conducted by Knowledge Networks, which initially selected the respondents by telephone.

Both polls were conducted Friday night.

Polls conducted on one night can be less reliable than surveys conducted over several nights because they only include the views of people available that particular evening.
    Link

Breaking News: The media still think polls mean shi-.

I thought it was a decent debate for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Breaking News: The media still think polls mean shi-.
    Actually they do if the poll questions are framed correctly and a good cross section are polled. They've pretty pretty much showed the same voting pattern in the last two general elections by vote time. Not that a poll of just voters means anything. It has to be on in battle ground states to give an indication of how the electoral vote will go.

Personally I think the Palin pick was a blunder. Rumor is, that her debate training is a disaster and her last two interviews were pretty much comedy gold.

She does have tons of forigen policy experience though. Being the governor of Alaska, she did have the tenacity to explain that Alaska has Russia and Canada on it's borders.

I would personally like to thank her for protecting us from the evil intents of Canada.

Other rumors are flying from the McCain camp that McCain is having second thoughts about his pick, at this point, to get her to withdraw so he suffers no campaigning laws, she would have to resign. That would probably kill his chances and two if he booted her, he's look incompetent and would have to stop campaigning for I think, five days.

Time will tell.

Hey I believe it DH. Living in Florida now for a few years I have the ability to fight back hurricanes if I so choose.